Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get alot of time for the tractor this weekend. Did get the base on, the head and breather assembly. So the basic block is assembled and closed up. Started at looking into mounting the flywheel onto the rotary table and degreeing it so I can see actual numbers when setting the timing. Not hard to do, but haven't decided if it's worth the effort.

Mike - glad to see you have your priorities back in the right place (I guess). I don't know if it's worth the effort to get actual degrees on your flywheel - but it would be nice to know
correct police.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Ya Harry.. I feel the same way.. it won't cost anything but my time, and it may be useful, or it may not prove anything but a waste of time! LOL..
biggrin.gif

On another topic I noticed a "blemish" in the basepan, and a closer inspection shows that the interior has a dent and the exterior side of the dent has a fracture. So somewhere in her past something struck the base, possibly a connecting rod? Or maybe a dipper??? I haven't a clue. But there is a tiny fracture, I'll have to investigate more to see if it leaks oil but I don't remember any oil spots under it.

Mike - we all want to know the answer on the timing.
And about the pan - were the infamous balance gears already missing when you tore this engine down?

Harry, what do you think the answer to the timing is? I'm thinking I'll do 40 or 50 degrees BTDC and maybe 20 degrees ATDC. We'll see.

The balance gears were in place and they weren't in terrible shape.

Mike - I don't even know what the timing degrees are when it's set at the "S" or "SP". I just know it's right when it's set there. Lets us know once you figure it out.

I don't understand why you want more timing marks. The ones you need are already there. Seems like a waste of time to me...

I don't understand why you want more timing marks. The ones you need are already there. Seems like a waste of time to me...

Just curious.. the "S" and "T" don't tell me much.. The machinist in me wants to know the real numbers I guess. LOL..

Sounds like Harry is curious as well! HAHAHAHAAA

David, I'd say the grade 5 with a lock washer should be fine.

So I made some time and got the flywheel blasted off, mounted it onto the motor and discovered that there is no hole to view the timing marks! NADA, Zilch, Nothing! ROFL...

There is an upper and lower hole (cutout) but the marks are on the machined flange and hidden from the cutouts.!?!?!

Whiskey / Tango / Foxtrot!

I did find a tit that lines up with the TDC mark with the Piston on TDC. But there is no hole to view the flywheel & align the marks with. There will be tomorrow!

SO I drilled a 3/8" hole next to the tab and verified that the lines show up. I did set the flywheel onto my rotary table and verified it is 20 degrees between tdc and the "S" line.

Harry I think it'll run out the door onto someone elses trailer..

I've no need for it since we moved back onto the farm. I think I'll finish the work I started, install the parts I've purchased and then pedal it to a new owner.

Mike - so you're back on the farm again. Geez, it sure wouldn't be hard to build a nice shelf and put that 169 up on it out of the way. Better yet, make a place like Jim Chabot's museum barn.
You know you ain't gonna find another 169. (Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it
biggrin.gif
)

Latest posts

Back