• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, yep, while you have it apart it only makes sense to rebuild the PTO. Be sure to take LOTS of photos, they can sure be helpful when you're putting it back together.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Yep.. I have the same thoughts.. I'll want to do it right and once! This PTO has the brake on the face.. not sure if'll I'll convert to the older style. I really am not worried about the time to stop the thrower once I disengage the drive. I did notice it was a double disc tho'..

I opened the motor to inspect the cylinder and it looks great! I'll replace the rings the same time I remove the balance gears. The pulley on the front (rear?) is stuck pretty good.. I've heated it cherry twice now and it won't budge. So I'll soak it tonite and maybe go after it again tomorrow.

Mike
If you have some acetone and auto trans fluid to mix together , it will find a way through that stuck part . BTDT

It's good to see you made it in here Don! LOL..

My "homebrew" penetrant contains ATF. Thanks for the help! Didn't you re-do a driveshaft using something different than stock? I'm just curious..

Mike: Think twice about the PTO with the brake system. No center button to deal with. However, the brake pad part of it will wear out and I've seen no replacement for that pad.
happy.gif

Thanks for the reply Frank. This PTO has a worn out brake now... So something has to go! I've never dealt with this style before.. so I got a bit of a learning curve.

Mike Fade

Yes I build a drive shaft using a CV joint from newer Cub ; I can post pictures or you can look at the Mod in the ccc section under 1512 for a dog rebuild on my 1512 Diesel .

I have to agree with Frank ; The brake style is the best system for engaging a pto and will take a lot of use . I have installed that style on my 129 and 149 and will put it on the 125 when I get another brake repair kit for Charlie . I bet you knew that by putting on new brake material you can repair your brake style pto no problem .

Actually... No - I didn't know anyone was relining the pto brake.

I'll go in search of your mod in the ccc forum. Thanks for the help.

Well I did get a full cylinder of acetylene so I should be able to finally remove the front pulley and continue with the motor internals inspection. On a good note, one of the guys that I did a snowblower repair for had a small pile of tools for small engine repairs, and he gave them to me! He said he's to old to be doing this anymore and figured I could use'em. There's a couple pullers and piston ring compressors and ring extenders. Then there's valve spring compressors and even a inch pound torque wrench! Free tools.. I was in heaven last night!
1AA_dance2.gif

Thanks J.C., and when they are tools you need and can use.. it's a great day!

I tried to get the pulley off again and even cherry red it wouldn't slide off.. so I guess I'll try a plan "B"...

Mike, if it happened weekly you'd need a bigger tool box.
happy.gif
happy.gif

297770.jpg

Mike F. Next time I get to a store I'll check around for a tool box. With my Cub budget right now I should be able to afford this one for you.
happy.gif
Fancy said that he'll include a kitty squeak toy.
297971.jpg
297972.gif

14 piece tool set and tool box for easy to carry
•Includes a hammer, screw driver, kid safe saw, wrench and other assorted tools
•For ages 3 and above
•Brand - Black & Decker
•Model - 81822
•Color - ORANGE AND BLACK
•Shipping Weight - 0
•Item Dimensions - H 6 inches L 12 inches W 5.5 inches
14 piece tool set and tool box for easy to carry
•Includes a hammer, screw driver, kid safe saw, wrench and other assorted tools