Archive through September 26, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 04:07 pm:

I like the 3-rib frts, and Really like the Vredestein 4-rib V-61's.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Does anyone have a picture of these front tires?
If so, please post it or direct me to where the picture is.... Thanks!

Ryan Wilke
beerchug.gif

Mike F I used Carlisle Xtrac(look very similar to yours) on my 882 fronts last winter. They worked great for snow thrower duty & year round use.I am considering 2nd pair for another cub.They seem to have a softer tread compound than other tires I 've used.
Shift.gif
I've seen some new larger walk behind snow blowers using the same tire.

Mike, put ags on the back , with them opposite also. It'd look like wherever you're going, you've already been... Note there is someone that hangs around here with experience on reversed ags - he may have an opinion on whether they were self cleaning or not.... ahem..
clappy.gif

Kendell I Maybe some one can fab up a front lean wheel axle like Cat 12 or a Wabco 777 grader & make good use of reversed Ag tire on the front end of whatever they drive...
bouncy.gif

Had a fun time at the Apple Festival at Cory, IN today. Jim and Jeff Flater (father/son) are on their Spirit of 76's. Shane, son of Jeff is on his 1650. I am on my 782. Jeff is my son-in law.

169932.jpg

169933.jpg

169934.jpg

Sorry about the placement of the pics. I promise, one day, be it soon or not so soon, I will get it right.

MIKE FRADE
thanks for putting the picture of those x-track tire up. I was looking at those also. Are those the 16x6.5-16 size ? And do they tear youre yard up when making sharp turns ?

thanks joe

I got another question for you fellers.Would the gears out of a Low boy cub fit into my original. All the teeth are gone off 2nd gear in mine and i was just wondering if they would fit.? Thanks

RICHARD C. - Those Vredestein V61's do seem to appear more on green/yellow tractors than the yellow/white or red/white. Since all the garden tractor frt tires are imported anymore I sure wish they made a 4.00 X 8, I'd put them on my 70 & 72. Nice looking 140.

RICHARD P. - I was born & raised on a 160 acre grain hog & cattle farm in north-western IL, I also ran equipment for MANY of the neighbors.
I've put thousands of thousands of hours on full size ag tractors, as I've said many times here, My 1954 stage II Super H FARMALL and Dad's '51 FARMALL M are both out in the shop, had them both out Friday afternoon "Choring" with Son. I've had tractors axle deep in mud more than once. When the ground is dry it does not stick to the tires, when it gets damp like the bottom of a plow furrow it will stick a little, but when it's wet the WHOLE tire and if the tractor has duals even between the duals fills up completely with mud. Tractor tires like I said are NOT self-cleaning.

I also run Firestone Flotation 23 Deg. G-1 lugs on both the tractors I mow with, the 982 has Carlisle Multi-trac turf tires on the front and the 72 has the stock GY utility tires IH put on it in LVL back in 1968. If Vredstein made a 4.00 X 8 V61 I'd put those on both the 70 & 72 frt wheels but I'm afraid I'm going to put Deestones on.

There was a year or two when Dad was still farming the axle-mount duals got installed on the 450 FARMALL or the Super M-TA Farmall or the 4010 deare with the outside tires running backwards, and maybe a year when the furrow side dual was mounted backwards on the M to plow with, but normally they always got mounted properly.

The only other tread design ever used by ag tractor companies on a 2 WD steering axle was an R-3 tread design, diamond shaped knobs for tread, regular ag tires are R-1, and now R-1W, and cane & rice tires are called R-2-0, also R-4 is the endloader, grader, skid steer loader lugged tire. The R-3 also was referred to as an "All Non-Skid" tire, Allis Chalmers made a BIG 180 HP ag tractor, a 7080 I think the model was, and they offered an 18.4 x 16.1 frt tire that wasn't available as a three-rib tire so they used the R-3 tread design, seems like maybe White and Ford used them as well, I don't remember JD using them but maybe they were an option on a late 5020 or 6030. I know IHC didn't use them because I was the tire, wheel & rim BUYER for the FARMALL Plant from 1979 till 1981 and the biggest tire IH offered on a 2WD tractor was the 14L x 16.1 which was available as a three rib F-2 tread design. Just on tires alone I was responsible for $5 MILLION worth of inventory every MONTH, and that was in 1980 Dollars. I still have ALL My ag tire technical catalogs from GY, BFG, Firestone, & Armstrong, which were the FARMALL approved tire suppliers. I even have the IH OEM price lists dating back to the early 1970's.

So Yes, I think I have the experience to speak knowledgably about farm tractor tires.

Like Steve B. said, Mount Your tires any way You want, and I'll mount Mine according to my tech. books. Frankly, I've been running My 982 around my concrete driveway quite a bit the last 2-3 months and I'm amazed at how much my Firestone's have worn. I'd hate to think how fast a lugged steer tire would wear on a hard surface.

Those Vredestein V61's are pretty expensive too from what I've seen. I figured they were like JD parts, if you can afford them.....
I don't really like the looks of them, they look to me anyhow, like they would plug up or there is too much contact area for snow but thats just my opinion which my wife would tell you isn't worth much. I do want to try a set of the bigger tri ribs though.

Got a little seat time in this weekend on the cubs, moved them out of the garage so that I could rearrange and clean things out so that I have room to work on the sick 1450 and make room for a cousin of theirs a 3000 series tractor with engine problems.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Richard C.,
Cool....Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Although I cringed at the green & yellow paint, those 4-rib front tires do look like nice tires.

Brendan B.,
What size 3-rib tires are you considering?

Ryan Wilke
bouncy.gif

Dennis Frisk,
That is a lot of information. Like I said before, I really do respect your accumulated knowledge. I meant no disrespect to you. I have not been around farm equipment like some here. My loss. I would like to try to explain where I was coming from.
It looks to me like most tractors were made with a tricycle front. So that limits what could be run. On the wide axle tractors that I have seen most run a ribbed tire. But to my thinking (that's spelled I DON'T KNOW) I figured it was a cost/what is on hand thing. I went briefly to the archive to look at the big tractors at some of the shows. And I did not find a single machine with 2WD that had the bar tread for steering tires. I thought I had seen several. Go figure.

As for them being self cleaning this was my thinking. I have driven a couple farm tractors and when you hit the pavement the earth flies. Also when Firestone developed the bar tread it was after straight steel bars on steel wheels that gave way to the chevron shape on steel. And I thought that the chevron shape was the preferred design to kick off the earth. Also this kicking off of the earth is simple physics. The laws of motion. And with the open back of the chevron there was no resistance to keep it in place. So that is where that came from.

When I read that the rears were being pushed and the front were being pulled I did not buy that. As you know work is a straight line. So to my thinking you can't switch the direction of a work load without changing the direction of the work. If the rears are being pushed, the the fronts are being pushed also.

I only recently discovered that the ag bar tread I had originally set up on my 104 for snow removal left no tire tracks in the yard while or after mowing. And that little Cub has an extra 150 lbs on the rear and 50 lbs on the front. That is what made me a convert to the bar tread. I have 3 other turf tread designs that I run and every one leaves tire tracks in the yard. And that is without any extra weight. And in all honesty when someone says my tire set up is stupid or wrong or somehow a self made modification that should have been dismissed instead of created, I get my back up. Sorry but I do. I did not create the design. I just discovered an unforeseen benefit while running my snow setup out of season. I'm sure there is some more I left out but I have to get a sugar test in the am and I'm starving right now because of the 24 hr. fast. I hope someday we can meet so that I can shake your hand.

Ryan D. Wilke
My 123 206861
K301AS
Ser#C037842
Spec #4759B
No grenade gears in this motor.
I had the oil pan off a few months ago due to a leaky pan gasket.

Straight bars vs. Chevron style cleats.
If you have ever operated a steel wheeled farm tractor with steel lugs on hard surfaces you'll know that's one tough ride <font size="-2">(My teeth (and my a$$) hurt just remembering it)</font>. The idea of the angled "Chevron style" or angled bars is so when you come to the end of one cleat you are starting to go onto the next one. no chop-chop-chop from going from lug-nothing-lug.
The only idea from angled jugs or cleats is when power is applyed the clay/topsoil will slide to the side. I don't care what type of lugs you have on a tire, go fast enough, Mother Nature will take care of the mud.

Ryan D. Wilke, thanks for the info on my 123! Seems like every Cub I get is older than the last!

Latest posts

Back