Archive through September 22, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, look down the page at my posts from this morning. You can install a narrow frame axle into a wide frame chassis, HOWEVER, you'll need to use the narrow frame spindles and you'll have some interference with the drag link arm on the top of the left spindle and the QA brackets of front mount implements. You'll have to shorten the drag link arm to prevent the interference. Jerry Harvey has done this mod on his 109.

Scott,
I tend to be a bit of a bulldog about these things, especially when an engine block is at stake. Probably ought to get out on the 129, the grass is looking a little long!

POPS aka Ben Corn - Regarding Your engine swap from the 1650 to 126. The K301 (12 hp) into the 1650 makes it a 1250 with optional hyd. lift, No Problem. However, the K341 (16 hp) is a large flywheel engine, Almost all 321 & 341's are and Your 126 is a NF tractor and will require the frame mods IH did to the 147's to drop the K341 in.
I didn't want to cut & weld on the frame on My 72 to drop My K321 in it and after much head scratching finally thought of the idea that I could swap flywheels, sheetmetal, & blower housing backing plate from the K301 in My 129 I had at the time making it a "Big Flywheel K301) and making My K321 the "Small Flywheel" engine I needed for My 72. It only took Me a couple hours after that to have the K301 out of the 129, the parts swapped and the K301 back in the 129. If this is the way You decide to approach this be warned the K301 will still be a 12 HP engine but it will seem pretty lazy. The big flywheel weighs the same as the small one but all the mass is further out from the shaft centerline so it acts MUCH heavier and the engine won;t wind up as fast. But on a happy note Your K341 will seem like a Race Horse, Snappy as all get out!
Rope pull starting a K301? Yes, It's do-able...if the ACR is working fine, the tune-up is spot on, and You have the room to get a good straight pull on the crankshaft. The ACR on My K321 sticks every once in a while. When it's working fine My old Starter/generator spins the engine over and it's running about the second time the piston comes up on TDC, but when the ACR sticks it just spins the S/G pulley inside the belt. I actually think the K321 starts easier than the K241 it replaced. I know the K241 vibrated worse!

169 front axle on 126?

I am installing super steer axle on my 169. My 126 has worn steering knuckle, so I thought I would put the 169 axle on the 126 with 12 inch wide tires and wheels on rear. Would this be a good swap? I'm thinking it would be quicker turning and would give the 126 a wider stance?

Thanks,

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

I brought a new tap, and carefully chased the threads on the head bolt holes on the 102 motor, but the only other "cub work" I got to was knocking down the grass that's been growing for 2 weeks. The 129 ran well, but I suspect that the mixture screw tends to walk itself in a bit for some reason. It seems like it is frequently too lean when I start up, even after letting it warm up for a few minutes partially choked. Open up the high speed jet a quarter turn or so, and she's right as rain.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Wow, quiet this morning.

I don't post often, more just lurking and learning....

I have a 122 that I will be starting to restore, HOPEFULLY, this winter. I have a quick question....
What is the correct steering wheel center cap for my 122?

TIA for any help.. Pics would be GREAT!!!!

Hi Fellas,

Yeah, it's been awhile since I've posted/bothered anyone here!
wink.gif

Say -- I've read that to get the nicest cut from your mower deck, it needs to have an intact shroud. I suspect they do help, otherwise the factory likely wouldn't have installed them in the first place. If the cut quality with a shroud is in fact noticeably better, then I'm thinking I should replace my mostly-missing, corroded and tattered blade shrouding (the 'half-moon' shirting) that is located under my 42" mower deck or "belly mower" that is under my 127.

Question #1)
Has anyone here got first-hand experience regarding the visual quality of grass cut differences between mowing with a deck with an intact blade shroud or a deck without a shroud?
confused.gif

Question #2)
The Cub Parts Lookup indicates a shroud is still available for the 38" (IH-489345-R1). Does anyone know if it's the same part for the 42" deck?
confused.gif

Question #3)
Although it says it may be still available, it may also be LOTS more $$ than I'm prepared to spend. Has anyone ever built their own shroud or know of someone who has built their own?
confused.gif

Question #4)
Would you/anyone like to built/fabricate one for me? How much $$?
confused.gif

Thanks in Advance!
RWilke
beerchug.gif

Ryan, if you go back to the parts lookup when you click on the shroud part scroll down and you'll see the 42" part number IH-498351-R1. It should be fairly easy to make one of those out of the appropriately sized bar stock (3/32" or 1/8" thick x ~2" wide) which should be readily available at your local hardware store or home center. Bend it into the curved shape that matches the blade diameters. You can either weld on L brackets that line up with the mounting holes or you could bolt on L brackets.

Latest posts

Back