• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 15, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't posted in quite a while. I' have added a hydraulic lift to my 100. Now if I could just figure out why the thing is eating Starter/generators I'll have it licked! Gosh I love my Cub Cadet!

Art A. The BDU21L is used in the 2000 and 3000 Series Cub Cadets. Without checking I believe it is the pump setup that MTD/Cub Cadet went to when they stopped using the BDU15L series. It is a seven piston cylinder block kit versus the nine piston 15U Series. The BDL10U Series is a five piston cylinder block kit found in the lawn tractor series Cub Cadets. If I recall the 21L series has been around for sometime now. They are a pretty rugged little outfit in their own way. As to a retrofit I don't know if it is possible. There is a mechanical neutral setting device that can be installed on the trunion arm available on both series. That is something that would not be easily done on the older Cub Cadets. However it can be out of alignment real easy if someone drops the pump a short distance. I.E. say 6" while handling. BDU21Ls were made for awhile by Sunstrand and now are a HydroGear (one of our companies) product. I've never delved into the statistics on both pumps only one could find the stats for both at the company website.

Kraig M. Very neat pics of your Dad and his John Deere. Thank You for posting them.

Off to work. Everyone have a beautiful day. It is getting colder and windy outside right now..... fall is fast approaching.

Kraig

Thanks for sharing pix of your DAD and his rig.

Got one of him and the family 125 from back in the day?

Marlin, I've been trying to find a part number for the kit they used to sell to turn a ported pump without hydraulic to one with. The only thing I've ever seen on it involves a "cone" and spring. Any ideas on that?

hey guys. i decided to take the fender pan off the 107 since i wont get to the engine for a while.the hydro pump is covered in dirt and oil/grease. the trunion is almost new but the vertical plate that holds the two trunion springs in place moves side to side with a quite a bit of play. i thought maybe the C-clip was missing but its there. so idk how to tighten it down. took the top trans cover off and the hytran is like new and the filter looks like it was put on yesterday. Otherwise everything seems to be solid.

Terry, I take it that the 73 going to be your wife's plow tractor. Nice to see the some pix of the garage/shop now that you've moved in.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
happy.gif

Craig, sadly I've not found any photos of my father on the 125. I know we have several of him on the 2072. Here's one. My daughter, who is now 15, is on his left knee. My sister's daughter, also now 15, is on his right knee. This 2072 now belongs to Art.

213278.jpg

Matt, thanks for the help. so i should be able to find them at my local hardware store, correct?

Kraig -

Another great picture. They grow quick, don't they?

Nice cub too!

Josh-

Probably not. I bought a package of them from McMaster-Carr. I think I got .005" ones too so I could make finer adjustments to the amount of slop.

Art,
happy.gif

Matt, thanks for that shim info for Josh.
happy.gif
I need to add some shims there on my #2 125.

Kraig, ive never seen one this bad before. i mean like i said the trunion is like new and its tight. The tractor has an hour meter which reads 1407.0 hours.I thought it was kinda a rare thing to see so that ecticed me more to buy it.
clappy.gif

MATT G. - I forget the name of them, but years ago one of the companies I worked at used to buy shim washers which were stamped from numerous sheets of Stainless steel shim stock kinda laminated together. They were about .030" thick to start with and you could peal the layers off a couple thou. at a time to really selectively fit things together.

I do remember they were not real cheap. But on food/chemical equip. everything has to be SS.

Dennis-

McMaster-Carr carries something like that, but they're too expensive IMO. These work great and are fairly cheap. They certainly beat buying a 0.060" or so shim washer and grinding it down to fit. That's what I used to do.

MATT - Doesn't surprise me McMaster-Carr has those shim washers. As a very astute Purchasing person told me 20+ yrs ago, "McMaster-Carr is an excellent reference on what's available, but NOBODY buys production parts from them!".

Even when your BEST local hardware store doesn't have the bits & pieces to fix or repair what your working on I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from McMaster.

Back in Son & My R/C racing days we switched ALL our R/C cars/trucks over to TORX machine screws, both socket head & pan head, thankfully they were all #4-40 and less than 1" long, boxes of 100 pcs of 1" long Torx cost less than a bag of five screws from the local hobby shop.

Speaking of shims & shimming assemblies, I buy pkg's of assorted brass shim stock, .003" to about .015" thk. sheets are about 3-4" x 5-6". As long as there's no fast movement against the brass they hold up great. The thin stuff cuts with a scissors, I use tin snips on the thick stuff.

And making shims thinner, BT-DT. You know what Differential rings are in ball diff's in R/C cars? stamped rings about 1" OD X 3/4" ID and maybe .050"-.060" thk, hardened, ground, & polished. I used to resurface them with WD-40 on 1000-1200 grit Wet/Dry sandpaper & repolish them. A new pair at the hobby shop was $6-$8 for two rings. We kept 2-3 spare sets and I'd resurface them all at one time, we ran a new fresh set every week on the dirt off-road track. I always referred to our race team as "TEAM CHEAP" for good reason!

What size is the trunion shaft ? Would shims from balence gear removal fit?

Dave R. The only thing that comes to mind is the implement relif spring and the cone that goes with it. Page 25 of the 15U Service Manual shows those items as # 8, 9, 10. Check with one of the sponsors since I didn't see any in the parts lookup when I tried the 1650 and 782 models. Scott @ Madson's, Charlie, Chris W. or Myron should be able to fix you up. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
213294.gif

MARLIN - I know Wyatt worked with his relief valve on his 169 when I was storing it for Him. We tested his pressures and I remember the parts he bought increased the lift pressure quite a bit, think it was something like 500-600 PSI to 800+.

I'm pretty sure the parts were from Sundstrand but the cardboard top on the plastic bag was yellow with black print, had some sort of four-legged animal on it with antlers.

Back