• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 05, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlspicer

displayname
jlspicer
Ryan's correct. Dad used to run an elevator with his 124 equipped with a rear pto. The elevator had the gearbox where you could run it from either side. That's the only thing he ever used with the rear PTO. Of course, the elevator wasn't a CC made implement....

No offense to anyone who worked on the R&D for that but "WHAT'S THE DEAL"? The Cub Cadet of the 60's was a very versatile and useful machine. Why would those guys include an option that really had no specific application? It almost seems to me that the design development was stalled by the change of focus or maybe, we have this on the Farmall cub and it works on there as it should so why not put it on here? I guess I'm just puzzled. How convenient would that be for a tiller or a rotors cutter?!?!

J.D.S., someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the gearbox was adapted for the cub cadet from the cub. And in that task the factory added an adapter to change drive direction and speed. So while you can re-fit a cub PTO into a cub cadet, it has no real practical application. It never was intended to drive anything in a cub cadet!

From my memory anyways! LOL.

The rear PTO operates off of the ring gear right? If so, the tractor would have to be in gear for it to be turning right? How do you run a hay elevator without driving away? Do you hook it up and jack the rear tires off the ground?

Some time back there was a discussion on replacing the pads on the exterior brakes of cubs. Does anyone have any info on where to purchase these pads?

Nic- No, the PTO, when in gear is splined by a coupler to the input shaft of the transmission regardless of what gear if any the transmission is in.

Marty, Charlie had some but seems to be temporarily out of stock. Look at the CCS site under 'Drive-line rearend parts'

I believe this was part of the engagment of it.

289848.jpg

Marty G.
Go to Mcmaster.com and order some material and DIY.

6175K815 Metal-Free Brake and Clutch Lining, 3/16" Thickness, 2" Width
That's for the oval pads.
If your looking to do the crescent shaped ones, order 3" wide.

Top shart's are differect between a Cub and Cub Cadet, so a Cub PTO will not adapt to a Cub Cadet. The top shafts is the tough part to find!

I put a 90 degree belt pulley on mine and I ground feed at local garden tractor jamboree.

Just went through a K161 and wondering if someone with experience can tell me how to adjust the valves. Not sure which stroke I need to be on when adjusting. I know they have to be filed to achieve the proper lash adjustment and the piston needs to be at TDC but again, on which stroke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Terry D.
Click the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) link above and then Question 6.
How do I get manuals, parts books or parts?

Download the Kohler manual for free, you'll need it sometime anyway.
thumbsup_old.gif

Guys, thanks for the enlightening PTO information.
John B thanks for the Pic and a practical use for that PTO. Has anyone on here tried to make or adapt an implement for use on there? It seems to me that if it were possible, it would be a cool thing to modify a 1A tiller to operate off of that rear PTO given that the speed and rotation direction could be solved. I also see an off brand modified rear mount chipper shredder as another cool implement. If you could speed it up enough through external gearing, a rear mounted snow blower would also be cool. I see so many possibilities with a live PTO like a big tractor has but it seems like IH just kinda dropped the ball on this one! They left a lot of possibilities on the cutting room floor...IMHO!
correct%20police.gif

bottom.gif

JOSHUA - The guy I bought my QA-36 snow blower from years ago lived just south of Atkinson, IL.... worked at Kewanee Boiler Mfg. in Kewanee. He raided the scrap hopper frequently and made some fantastic attachments for his Dad's 1450 and his 982. He made a hyd lift & angle frt blade for his 982 and made a rear mounted rear {TO driven snow blower for the back. Had twin impellers and two discharge chutes. Took about a 4 ft wide cut... and was heavy enough the 982 didn't need any extra weights on the back. Even back then, around 1983=1984, CC rear wheel weights were hard to find an expensive so he used BIG chunks of steel 6-8 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches tall for rear wheel weights.

The QA-36 I bought was originally for a NF but was used on the 1450, a WF, and I narrowed it back down to use on my 72.

To adjust the valve clearance on a 161 or a 181 you need to grind the valve stems to get correct clearance.

DENNIS F- I did not know you could run a snow thrower from a narrow frame on to a Quiet Line. I had been looking for a QA42A for the wide frame 1450, and might have passed on anything else.

Perhaps, I can find one sometime!!!!

Back