Archive through September 03, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daweber

displayname
dan weber
I've seen in brought up here before, but couldn't find it. Has anybody looked into converting a hydrostatic transmission to a hydraulic drive? Basically taking the pump off of the front and putting a hydraulic motor on it? What would be the challenges in attempting this? I have a case that I use for mowing and love the hydraulic drive on it, and was thinking the hydraulic drive would be easier to work with on my articulated tractor, but I already have the cub hydro transaxles in there and mounted up.

Dan, I saw an articulating cub set up with two case reaerends this summer at the Winamac power of the past show. The owner said he had trouble getting two cub cadet rearends to run the same speed, so he used two case hydraulic units. It was a pretty slick set up.

That would have been my first choice for transmission options, however I got the cub hydro's for free so for that price it was hard to say no! Unfortunatly case rear ends are very rare in this part of MN. In fact most people around here(even the old farmers)have never even seen a case GT! They aren't too expensive on ebay, but they are so heavy to ship I think I would end up paying as much shipping as I would buying it.

This is a stupid question, but what is the difference between hydrostatic and hydraulic drive?

Dan, My brother is building an off topic articulated tractor. He built cables to control the hydros but he also had trouble keeping the rearends syncronized. We decided to try a hydraulic control system. He built two double acting master cylinders and two double acting slaves. The masters are connected to the speed control lever. Each differential has its own slave cylinder which is adjustable. The differential in the front is reversed so the speed controls actually move in opposite directions. He also made a reservoir with valves so each cylinder could be bled individually. So far the tractor has only been run a few times but the system seems to be working good.

David - Post pics in the Off Topic Tractors section !

Andrew S. The simplest way to explain the basic difference between the two is this. Hydraulic system.... Oil flows from pump to motor to reservoir then back to pump... motor... etc. Hydrostatic system flow..... once in motion the oil flows from pump to motor then back to the pump and is continuous pump to motor and not back to the reservoir. Takes less power to run the system.
happy.gif

Thanks, a few changes are going to be a little bigger front wheels and addition of rectangular head lights. The biggest challenge was to fit the motor in the stock frame and under the stock hood. There is not a lot of extra room for anything.

Hey Aaron any video links to see it running?

Very cool

I will try to get a video made before the snow flies. Been cutting wood up here like crazy for the last 2 weeks. Putting up a cord and a half a night after work.... getting kinda tired. 082 got done and went right in the storage shed - waiting to go to the Montrose 2011 plow day - but doesnt sound like it may happen. crops got in way late up here in minnesota due to a cold spring.

I didnt like the way my 2086 cyclops headlight / front end looked... so i changed it. Custom grill next.

231273.jpg

Aaron, I don't know. It's probably an improvement over what you began with, but I'm wondering how it would look with the headlights in their own housing, like an original or an old Model "A" Ford. Of course, I'm not a stylist; more a mechanic. I agree with you that the Cyclops style is problematic, if only because it has a plastic lens. To me, headlights should be round. But that's just what I'm used to. I probably need to broaden my horizons.
smile.gif

Here's a crappy job of photoshopping what Jeremiah is saying...

231379.jpg

I'm not sure WHICH (square or round) I like better.
1a_scratchhead.gif

actually by just taking the plastic lens off is a big improvement and then they are kinda closer to round. the reason i went with square is because the tractor is going to get a make over soon into a red tractor - going for the CASE IH Magnum look.

Latest posts

Back