• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 15, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Don T said, " a stock 1995 5.9 Cummins would have 160 hp and 320 torque"

And that right there is why I bought a Powerstroke! Depending on who you believe, IH or FMC, My stock '96 7.3 PSD makes 210 or 215 HP and 420-425 #/ft torque.

The difference now 15 yrs later is you can hop up the little 5.9 Cummins to crazy HP levels rather cheap, and for the same money you can add 50-100 HP to the PSD. To add more than that requires real deep pockets, injectors, bigger fuel pumps, intercooler, the list is almost endless.

I have to agree with you about Dodge not tuning the torque converter correctly for the Cummins. Thank goodness for the Aftermarket!

Don - sounds like fun!

I think in the '97 Powerstrokes they hopped up the HP to 225hp, I forget the torque value.

I agree Dennis, I really wish I could a get bunch more HP out of my Powerstroke without breaking the bank.

A year I pulled my 36' travel trailer onto I-94 and after entering traffic and getting to the top of a immediate hill I was doing all of 60mph. This year on the same spot, after a trans rebuild with a triple billet torque converter plus an aftermarket downpipe I was already cruising over 65. Plus I now have larger tires which robs a bit of power. My sister and her '06 stock Duramax were, well lets just say she was a bit ahead of me...

Vince - Only time I really ever towed heavy in my PSD was five yrs ago Labor Day weekend. I hauled the '51 M to it's new home.... MY shop. I pulled onto I-80 at exit 19, my old home town, Geneseo, IL. They rebuilt the exit a couple years ago to add a merging lane for trucks. ALL up-hill for about a half mile, not a steep slope by out west or Wisconsin standards and I was actually impressed with my tired old Stock PSD. I held 4th gear to 60 MPH with my 3.55 gears and shifted into 5th just before the top and still gained speed. The two semi's in the left hand lane took a few more miles to pass me and check out the M.

I had "Axled-Out" the truck & trailer on a scale at the old seed corn company I detassled for years ago, truck/trailer/tractor weighed 17,090# before SON & I got in.

The '97's were rated more HP than the earlier PSD's, I think 225 was about right. The start of the '99 Super-Duties in winter/spring of '97 were the first intercooled engines, they started @ 235 HP and quickly went to 250. I test drove the first S-D 6-speed I could find in about late '98, a short box SuperCab and frankly, I was NOT impressed. SON & I did test drive an early 6.0L, short box 4-door with Torque-Shift tranny. Truck was nice, tranny was AWESOME, not going to comment on the engine.

I guess I've been around big pickups too long.... I remember working at the Atkinson, IL Gulf truck stop one night a guy comes rolling in with a GMC K20 4WD pickup,'70 to '72 vintage with a large Harvestor silo in pieces he picked up at the plant up by Dekalb, IL. on his tandem axle trailer. He said he cruised loaded in second gear with his Turbo-Hydro 400 tranny & 350-4bbl carb, then cruised empty in Drive. Back in those days all a Big block truck did was burn more gas and add frt end weight.

Dennis,

I really like the 99+ SuperDuty's. I have an 03 Excursion with the 6.0L PSD. That truck will pull anything I ask of it... and get decent mileage while doing it. It is 100% stock and the drive train is all factory..... nothing has been apart.... running strong with just over 113k on it.... The 6.0 did have their growing pains... but for the most part, now they are a fairly good powerplant.. my normal towing weight is about 14-15k with the camper and all the supplies. Put a Cub on my 8' flatbed and you don't even know it's back there....

Here is a picture of my "truck"
230400.jpg

SCOTT - Nice Excursion! They were about the ONLY thing available to seat over 4 ppl comfortably plus tow something large that got decent MPG. The problem with 4 door p/u's is that even the short box versions don't fit into most people's garages. GM did a BAD thing when they closed their Janesville, WI plant and stopped producing the Suburban.

It always seemed odd to me that IH never had all the problems with their VT-365 that FMC had with the PSD. Medium duty trucks get run HARD, BT-DT... day after day after day.

Dennis,

Thanks, we really like it!!!!

Believe it or not... I had just pulled the truck out of that open garage door behind it. It does fit in my 2+ car garage, but it takes it's entire side.... I think it am a bit shorter than a CCSB, but not much.... I am basically on a F-250 CCSB's running gear.....

I know several that have the old 6.2 and 6.5 diesel burbs and get 20+ easy. The old 6.2/5 was a good economy engine, but could never stand up to the abuse the IH built IDI and PSD's could/can..... I plan on keeping mine for a long time. It is the last generation to not have a DPF, Regen, DEF.. etc. I have a Cat, and a EGR.... but that can be fixed......

The OBS Fords (92-97) are a stout truck... a bit smaller that the SuperDutys... but still a good truck. I have seen a 97 OBS go for more that a SD because there are alot of guys out there that still want the Pre-SD body....

Scott, that's an awesome vehicle! I have a good friend with a dark green one, she'll let me know when she decides to sell it - so she says...

Looks like I'm buying a Green version of Glen's truck. Last night I looked at a '96 ext cab K1500 5speed manual trans a 5.7 engine. I had to remind myself several times that I'm not buying a vehicle while its dark outside... Here's a pic. I've got some questions, and will start a thread in the Sandbox
230746.jpg

This will be mine with or w/out the Toy hauler. Will use the hauler as needed when traveling to a show or gathering and can stay overnight. Truck is 2003 Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins.
230918.jpg
230919.jpg

Went to the ford dealer yesterday and came home with a new cub hauler. Went from the 5.4 engine to the 5.0 with 6 speed auto selectable transmision.
232712.jpg

Dennis Frisk

Well I`am looking at another truck, a USA Cal , no rust and a 5 speed std trans with engine brake, options I don`t have in my 95 2nd gen like air and power windows . has a fifth whell hitch on it and is in great shape. it is a 93 1st gen ,here a picture tells it all. or a few of them is better lol.

234227.jpg

234228.jpg

234229.jpg

234230.jpg

I`am told he towed a 36' fiver with this truck and in one picture you can see he bought a four door truck.
1a_scratchhead.gif
the 14k it hauled and with my 10500 gross weight fiver this should not even break a sweat lol.

Tom Hoffman

He says 190000 miles and that is 305,775.4 km . My truck has 272000 km and that is 169,013 miles , I have looked at newer trucks for pulling my fiver and well everything over here that would do the job is over $26000 and that not in the cards for me.I want a std trans and air and the exhaust brake. this US truck has everything I need. I think he said it has around 375 hp and 765 ft lbs of torque . My 2nd gen is real close to that on a dyno.If we soon get a few fine days(dry roads) I will take it for a run and see if it is as good as it looks.I don`t want to have any payments or I would just buy new,I priced what I want local(new) at $64000.00 + tax . That is not going to happen at that price. This Is under 10 for the 93. Later Don T

Tom H

here is the add he posted for sale description.

1993 Dodge 3500 Dually, Extended Cab, 2WD, Cummins Diesel Engine, 5 speed std trans, exhaust brake, rear suspension air bags, AC, power seats, windows and locks, am/fm/cd player, sirius radio, Rhino lining in box, 2nd owner, truck originally from California and never driven on salted winter roads. 190,000 original miles. This truck has been well maintained mechanically and has no rust.

And this picture from last summer before he bought the newer truck.

234239.jpg

Don T.
Did ya notice that in the pic with no trailer the amount of space between the tire and the fender and the one with it attached?
That tells me that the springs are just a tad WEAK!
It should not sink that much with the trailer attached. I know my old Jimmy sure doesn't.

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

That is easy to fix on that truck. the helper spring were removed and dual air bags were added so one can level the fifth wheel trailer. My 2500 3/4 ton will sit low also till I add some air to the bags. my fiver has a tongue weight of 960 lbs in the box when attached. I don`t know what his 36' 14 k trailer has for a pin weight, but I bet it ain`t light lol.

Sounds like a good deal on the truck Don. It would sell higher than that here.

Don-
Are you sure you want a 2WD Dully where you live? I've heard those things can be a no-go in the snow.

It looks like a nice clean truck. Kinda funny that he replaced it with a Chevy, but I won't tell any of my favoite jokes there.
wink.gif

DON - I agree, looks like a well kept truck for that age & miles.

Tom is correct, keep that truck in the shop during winter and drive your 4X4. Dad had a co-worker who drove a K3500 4X4 dually to work years ago driving 18-wheel fuel transports. He was driving to/from work one day in a snow about like that shown in your first group of pic's. The outside rear tire caught the snow along the track in the road and spun him around, then off the road. It was the END of his truck driving career even though he lived.

It'll be nice when the Big Three, FORD, Chevy, & Dodge catch up to the Big Truck technology of air ride suspension. Last company I worked for replaced a POS FL70 Freight-shaker with an IH 4300 with air ride rear suspension & seat at my suggestion. We had both trucks four years, same driver all the time, and the IH got better MPG, was MUCH nicer to drive, just got normal maintenance for over 200,000 miles. No repairs, leaks, or problems with the IH. The Freight-Shaker leaked constantly, vibrated so bad the driver had to steady the mirror to back into the dock, and the only time we had it loaded close to it's rated capacity it broke all the leaves in one rear spring and dropped the box onto the rear tire a block from our plant. Normally we hauled 2000 to 6000 pounds in a truck rated to 25,999# gross. The Freight-Shaker was hauling about 8000-9000 pounds when it broke the springs, so it weighed about 23,000#. It was a constant PITA for the 175,000 miles we had it. There's a reason IH OWNS the medium duty market on trucks.

Not sure what manual 5-spd Dodge used in that vintage truck but I'd check it out. The Cummins was pretty weak stock from the factory back in those days and the tranny may not like double the factory HP & Torque. ALSO, How much fuel can you carry on-board? For trips towing your 5-er You may want to add a aux. tank in the box. You can NEVER have too much fuel! Although I did almost once, I goofed a little on loading my load coming home from Chicago, was a tad heavy on the drive axles of my semi-truck, 31,900# on a 32,000# maximum, and my fuel tank was almost bone dry, I was going to stop at the truck stop just a half mile past the weight station. The fuel tank was maybe a foot from the front drive tire so most of the weight of the 50 gal of fuel I was going to get was on the drive axles, so I was about 200-250# over on the drive axles a mile down stream from the scale. I could have slid the trailer axles forward and/or the 5th wheel but the truck rode SO much better stretched out so I left it.

Art

Well I will go see it Monday if the roads are dry.The owner has the fuel screw turned in and the bigger turbo , so it It can run to warm ( 1300 deg) .After a few questions he told me pulling his 14k fiver he has he saw only 24 lbs boost. I see 36 all the time and 1100 pulling.After I buy it I will increase the size of the boost elbow to allow for 36 lb boost. Will cost me $6.00 , More air ,less heat (simple). Truck has the exhaust engine brake so I know it has to had the valve springs replaced with 60 lbs springs . With 60 lb spring you can run up to 60 lb boost . The head gasket will stand way more.If the truck works like he said then the fuel screw will go out a 1/2 turn and 36 lbs boost elbow. It will pull my fiver at 10500 gvw and get 15 ,16 mpg pulling my and do it at 1100 deg on the pyro. I just hope it is not just a lie from him.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I might add driving by the pyro must be hell. I some times let friends drive my truck.So it has to run safe for all to use.

Latest posts

Back