• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 15, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DON - Most of my driving experience in BIG TRUCKS was simple, hold the gas pedal to the floor with your right foot, If you couldn't, USE BOTH FEET.

Never been in a truck or tractor with an exh temp gauge that worked. Big truck engines are tuned real conservative, the 903 Cummins I drove most the time probably only made 5-6 pounds of boost, the naturally aspirated version was 250 or 270 HP and with the turbo version like mine, the VT-903 was only 320. They made a version, the VT-350 that was 350 HP for trucks and other versions for the military up to 600 HP. It was a nice driving truck, only had a 6-speed Spicer transmission, had 4.44 gears set to run 67 MPH @ 2500 RPM, got about 4 to 4-1/4 MPG grossing 75,000# half the time and the other half empty weighing about 27,000#.

I imagine you drive the Pyro about like driving for MPG, build speed down hill then hold the gas pedal down until you see 1150-1200 on the pyro then let up and if the hill is steep & long enough drop a gear and plant your right foot again.

Buddy or co-worker towed a HEAVY U-Haul trailer from Moline, IL to Athens, GA years ago with his '88 F250 4X4 with an early 7.3 IDI diesel, all stock, no blower or chip, etc. BIG steep hill on the Interstate right around Louisville, KY, He hit the bottom doing about 85+ in 5th gear and was down to around 1700 RPM in 4th thinking about dropping into 3rd by the time he got to the top. His truck, trailer, cargo grossed probably 24,000#. Not bad for a 185 HP truck.

Dennis Frisk

(Not sure what manual 5-spd Dodge used in that vintage truck but I'd check it out.
Yep the 5th gear as OD were some problems, and not much good for towing.The jump down to 4th was way to much rpm drop to be good towing You would loose all the boost.
The 5 speed in the truck was used 1992 till 2002 with the 24 valve trucks. I think not hot dog ed and run it will take the 450 hp and 1000 tq
that I have planned ,I hate shifting on hills

The Cummins was pretty weak stock from the factory back in those days.

You must be thinking of the early cummins before a turbo and inter cooler. I have the same engine in my 95 . Cummins changes the pumps from the Bosch to the p100 . For a few years they had a block crack issue , was call a 53 block because of the stamping number.

and the tranny may not like double the factory HP & Torque.

That five speed tranny was in use till the newer six speed trans came in just a few years ago. They will take the power I need to pull 10500 gvw

ALSO, How much fuel can you carry on-board?

I`am think the main tank and 35 gallons in the box tank.That should get me a few miles lol.

If I get this truck it will never run on a salt road again. NO planes to drive it in the snow around here. Just a dry road truck , we have two cars and the truck ,so something is sitting . I`am considering a Ford escape 4x4 or something like that.The wifes is talking another year to work , so with her home we could drop one car .

Denny

I drove some early 1966 IH Corn binders with a gas 5 and 4 aux tranny. What a pig with a load,If you ever missed a shift lol you would have to stop . This truck is 2wd with 3.55 and turns 1400 at 65 mph.They are set up to pulls better a low rpms , Starting at 1100 pms. My 95 ram says 600 deg at 65 mph towing on the level with 10 lb`s of boost.I don`t have to chase the skinny petal ,I should be at a weight that cruse and 5 th will go for a long time. The engine brake will be a plus for some of the Mountains we will see on the big trip.I will have the truck for the light fiver I have. I plan on at least an average of 16 tong mpg. lol

DON - Sounds like that's the NV4500 then. There's cures for the 5th gear problem. I'd ask the seller if he's fixed it before.

From what I've heard as long as you kept RPM's up there wasn't a problem, but if you lug the engine down you'll lose 5h gear. Think around 1600-1800 was the magic RPM.

I know we've discussed rated HP between the Dodge & Ford before, seems to me the IH 6.9 IDI was rated 160-170 HP, the 7.3 IDI about 180-185, the first 7.3 PSD's 210-215, the intercooled 7.3 PSD's 235-250, then the 6.0 & 6.4's went up quick to 300-350 HP and the new 6.7L Cummins & PSD are both right around 400 HP, 800 #/ft of torque.

Seems to me the early Cummins was around 160-170 HP then grew to around 225-250 depending on if it was a manual or auto tranny before the 24V came out.

The little 5.9 Cummins is easy to build HP with compared to a PSD.

A Buddy over on the RPM forum and I trade private messages back and forth when the comments about the HP wars in pickups get heated. It takes a really stout drive train to handle 400-500 HP even at highway speeds. And to hold that kind of torque the frame has to be really stiff too. There's more than one reason big trucks have 1/4" thk frame channels 10-12 inches tall with 3 inch wide flanges. Some trucks even have doubled frame channels. To carry the load is the first reason but to withstand the torque of the engine and the drivetrain is a very close 2nd.

About 10 yrs ago SON & I went over to his Buddy's place to help remove some bushes along his driveway. There was TWO new Super-Duty's, a V10 & PSD, Son's Lightning, and my old PSD in the driveway, and my PSD had more miles than the other three trucks combined, but I got to pull the bushes. Transfer case locked in 4-Low, easing the clutch out at idle in 1st gear I was torquing the frame in my F250 so much the frt left corner of the truck was raising up close to a FOOT, and the left frt tire would spin along with the right rear in a hard pull. And that's with only 210 HP. IH advertises "take-off torque" @ 850 RPM on all their truck engines, and on the T444E, their version of the 7.3 PSD the engine made about 350 #/ft of torque @ 850 RPM, multiply that by the 3.55 axle ratio, the 2.62:1 T-case ratio, and I think 1st gear is about 5-1/2 to 6:1 ratio, and THATS a lot of torque.

I see a lot of guys with dually diesel trucks towing big goose-neck trailers with 20,000# and more on them. They really need a medium duty truck for loads like that, bigger tires, bigger brakes, heavier frame, etc.

Dennis Frisk

I picked this combination's for a few good reasons. Fifth gear nut backing off was the issue with pulling hard in 5 th. this has had the 325.00 fix . They sell a different shaft and nut to fix that. I hear you on the psd,but an eight cylinder engine can`t make the torque at low rps that a straight six can.This is not a brand thing ,its that phy subject I hated in school lol. I have hopes to just make it pull great. I don`t know what will be the set up I will be happy with. But hp in a Cummins is cheap . I will not sleep till I have it the way I want. lol

Don T.
You don't see my ole girl squattin, and it's bone stock! LOL
234273.jpg

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
Now that should be an easy pull for you with that tri-axle. They carry weight nice . What does that set up weigh in at?? The 1993 has only 4 of its 9 plies left in the spring set and no helpers. Now it has longer springs for a smooth ride not towing. Towing or adding any weigh I just need to add air to the Firestone ride rites . The 5000 lb bags good to 100 psi.Bags on my 2 nd gen have 10 lbs air all the time and 24 lbs air with my fiver on back. I do think they are cats a$$.

CHARLIE - If You didn't have so many NEAT IH Toys you wouldn't need that big trailer & tow vehicle! Nice rig!

DON - Yes, the little in-line 6's make good low end torque. Guy that was best man at Wife & My wedding raised potatos, had potato trucks, pair of C60 Chevy's, one with 292-6, other was a 350 V8, both had 5+2 transmission & rear axle, think they were even the same axle ratios. The truck with the 6-cyl would lug down better while loading but once you were out on the road the truck with the 350 would run away and hide from the 6-cyl.

What makes ALL the difference is how you gear a vehicle. The 5-spd in my PSD is considered a close ratio, the 5-spd ZF used behind the lower torque high RPM gas engines had lower speed low gears. But with the torque of the PSD even at low RPM there's NEVER a problem gaining speed with a heavy load being towed or in the box. If I was going to tow heavy a lot the newer Super-Duty's with the ZF-6 speed would be a better choice, 1st & high gear are the same but the 6-spd gives you closer splits between gears, less RPM drop when shifting.

New rule this year in NTPA tractor pulling. There's a Agco-Allis pulling tractor with a 3208 CAT that had won it's division for a couple years, so the NTPA let other brands run V8's. One guy dropped a Cummins 903 into a Case IH I think it was, since the stock engine in the C/IH was actually a Cummins. Now all the 6-cyl tractors are competing for THIRD place at pulls.
^6-in-a row make torque, but DISPLACEMENT (and BOOST) makes Horse Power.

Dennis Frisk

WELL I`AM PISSED OFF. I`am stupid I guess for posting on here about my purchase of the diesel truck.I call the owner to confirm my time to arrive to get the truck. they did not want a check so I had to Waite till Monday morning to get him his certified check he wanted. Well he got a call and the guy that has cash and is arriving today to buy the truck. he called and had said I read about the truck on a tractor site!!!!!!!! So I have leaned a hard lesson on posting about something I plan to buy. Never again
bash.gif
censored.gif

I have another lead to follow and will post after the sale . later Don T
old.gif

Don T, Do you post on any other tractor sites? Cause that ain't right.

Dave Ross

Well I think anyone can read what is on this site ,so I was just stupid to find a truck that I have been looking for for 4 years and post about it and not expect some one who is also in the market not to try for it also. I have a year before we plan to leave pulling my fifth wheel across Canada. I will sell my truck and then buy a truck or a diesel pusher .
bash.gif

Don T, That stinks! I can't believe someone on here did that. Maybe a lurker.

MELODY - I agree, not too many posters from up Don's way north of the border. Has to be a lurker.

DON - Be patient, you'll find a better truck I'm sure! And don't post pic's till it's sitting in your driveway.

Well ya know!
We can sure fix it to where Members ONLY can read any part or parts of the forum!

Just say the word folks and we'll sure mull it over and LOCK OUT non members where ever you think it be worth it to US!

Don: I'm awfully sorry for your sake. I don't think much of seller's who commit to one party and then sell to whoever shows up, its happened to me south of the border. Next time bring the bear with you:
animatedihbear.gif

Charlie: I saw your post upon uploading my own. I certainly think it would be appropriate to lock non-members out of sections like IH Cub Cadet Haulers and other sections which could legitimately be reserved to serve member's interests. On the other hand, I think the sections like Main Forum, the CCC/MTD forum, Lawn Tractor Forum, and "Better than New" sections should be open to the public. Where I'm not sure to draw the line are sections Sandbox, which serves as a sort of catch-all for posting all sorts of interest, but the key word is POSTING, it could be restricted, or open; likewise, sections like the Machine Shop can be of general or specific interest and could be open or closed. The change could certainly change the way we post things; but Don's experience is going to change the way we post things too, whether we decide to restrict access or not.

The whole issue reminds me of the "User Name" post in the Sandbox the other day.

Again, really too bad for Don and a sobering day for us all.
thumbdown.gif

fellow Cubbers

I was stupid to post it before I had the truck in my drive way as Denny said. But I do wish we had a place to post that only members could look at.Same rules as the rest of the form but if your not a member you can`t log in to that area. I vote to keep all the info open to all who need and want to read about Cub cadets. Thanks Don T

Don and others, what are we going to use as a basis for membership?? There are 6600 "registered" members! any one of whom could have been the culprit for 'truck theft'. Or, of course anyone stopping by just to read. There would never be any way to figure "who dunnit". I suspect the only thing to do is be cautious of whats posted. Don, unfortunately, you became the 'learning process' by which we will have to proceed by in the future.

I'm all about openness and transparency, but I still feel badly for Don; I mean the guy was psyched up about his planned purchase, sharing with friends, getting feedback and pointers, things to look for, etc. Something that many of us have done before going to look a Cub model in which we were interested, but about which we were a little ignorant.

I don't see a problem with setting up a "Confidential" Section for "Members Only" set up like the Sandbox so that any MEMBER could start a thread. This way, Don to duck in, post about his truck, being reasonably assure his posts weren't being viewed by all of Canada and the US of A. It wouldn't prevent someone who is a member from cherry-picking his selection, and he probably isn't ever going to post a "before" thread in any case, but the concept still makes sense to me.

To be honest, I have always assumed that anyone reading WAS a member, since this Forum is irresistable to me, I couldn't conceive of NOT joining it. I guess I have a better understanding of the term "lurking" now; and the concept now has a negative connotation for me.
angry.gif

On the other hand, I can understand how the concept of "Members Only" might have negative connotations for others.

Latest posts

Back