Archive through October 27, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone know the gear ratio on an 1100 gear box i would think its is a 1:1 correct?

Mike H.,
I'd suggest you follow your wife's recommendation.
angel.gif

In my world, that usually works out for the best for me! Besides, a 60's built NF has WAY more character than a QL any day!
bubbly.gif

Kraig McC.,
I agree with your assessment of why front axles break. You may recall my episode with a broken front axle one of my 129s.... when my hydro lurched forward while going down a hill,,, causing me to loose my balance and grip on the steering wheel and then the LH front wheel hit a tree (!) causing the axle to snap in two!

I ended up getting the axle welded back together and then adding a reinforcing 'splint' (two small plates of steel on each side of the axle overlapping the welded area, bolted together) which is still working well to this day.

Ryan Wilke
thumbsup.gif

Ryan, another 1x8/9 series Cub with a broken axle, hmmm...

Waaaay back when I was about 9 years old I ran my parent's 125 into a tree and broke the LH spindle, axle was fine. Later I used to pull wheelies with it, only about 8" to a foot high wheelies no problem, lots of fun until the time I was using the 125 as a go-kart and goofing around. I came up out of the ditch onto the paved road and I was a bit enthusiastic with the hydro lever and stood the Cub nearly straight up! Fearing I was going to go over backwards I quickly yanked the hydro lever into reverse slamming the front end down on the pavement, no damage, no more wheelies.
blush.gif
My good friend Ken K. was standing about 10 feet away when this happened, freaked him out as he too thought I was going over backwards. That axle and spindle setup is still in the 125. Well actually the 125 is disassembled awaiting a refurb but the axle is intact. Narrow frame axles are tough IMO. It's the spindles that are the weak link.

Are the front axles cast or forged?? Based on my experiences with older Ford beam axles that were forged and bent rather than broke when "attacked", I'd guess that the Cubs are cast. Kraig's observation that they don't break at the mule drive grooves seems to bear that out. Second question - cast iron or steel? - Ryan's experience would suggest steel as welding a cast iron axle would be iffy unless your name is spelled "G R U M P"..

Also - can we get past the expression of"hatred" of tractor types?? Professing love for your particular style of equipment is one thing, but stating you "hate" brings into question everyone else's choices..This isn't a kiddy forum and some of the comments are a little out of place. (Just my humble opinion..)
And, at the same time, there are a lot of things to still express your distaste for, including dry weather in the middle of the winter, grass not growing, 30 year old cork gaskets, leaking tires and - for some people - balance gears...
clappy.gif

Teaser spring Question -
I have a 122. Put a new teaser spring in about 3 years ago and it broke again.
Question - any way to get more life out of the thing? Am I not adjusting things right?
OR
Can I put a washer between the spring and the pressure plate, thus reducing the risk of the spring in some way getting caught by the plate itself?

Thank you.
Peter

180274.jpg

Here is the 71, does it look salvageable? All I know is it turns over and tries to run, but the plug hole is stripped out, and the steering linkage is broken down at the spindle

Mike H., looks salvageable to me. What "plug hole" is stripped? Spark plug? Oil drain plug? Transmission drain plug?
dunno.gif

Kendell,
happy.gif

Sorry, spark plug hole, nothing a new head wont fix, right? Just watched the Ares rocket launch from my pasture. It is too cool living this close to the Cape!! I guess I could pull the K321 out of the 1100 and put it in the 71, then she would really pull.

180282.jpg

180283.jpg

180284.jpg

Mike, looks like it could use a little de-rusting... BTW, that is a Quick Attach dozer blade subframe on it. Do you have the rest of the blade?

Any photos of the launch?
happy.gif
happy.gif

No launch pics. I live about 23 miles as the crow flies from the launch pad, and my camera won't zoom enough to get good pictures. Way too grainy/pixel dot, if you know what I mean. I don't know about the blade, these are som pics that my friend sent me. He said he needed for me to trailer a "tractor" for him, he doesn't know anything about cubs, so he got these pics from the fellow that gave it to him so I would know what trailer to take. I about died when I got the pics. I am trying to convince them that they don't need this tractor, it wont work for what they want to use it for. (cleaning stalls)

Kendall, Here is my favorite tractor. Am actively trying to find a single bottom plow and hitch for her.

180287.jpg

Mike H:
You can get thread repair kits for the spark plug thread, if you can't find another head. Looks like this one may be a candidate to try the latest penetrating oil mix I've read about - 50/50 mix of either type of ATF and acetone - they swear it works quicker on rusted bolts than any of the miracle oils like Gibbs......Get any pics of the liftoff?? We saw one of the shuttle launches from Zephyrhills last spring - awe inspiring sight!!!

On edit - I'm getting slow - answers before I ask
clappy.gif

I have a question on the 108 driveline there is a spacer by the pressure plate on the clutch and then a spring mine has a narrow washer for part number 20 my clutch works ok it seems to be hard to disengage well it has a little drag sometimes but it the correct spacer is in there it would put more pressure on the plate and have more drag. Will the smaller washer work or do I need that correct spacer in there.

180291.jpg

Michael Lies
Please edit your post by clicking on the note pad with pencil and between your typing and your picture hit enter and place your picture on the let border. Works for me .

On another note I have a set of AMF Harley pipes here and i might use one as a stack.. Well I will cut it down and see what it looks like
1a_scratchhead.gif

Might sound real good LOL ( 1512 D )

Mike, If you take the tractor, would there be a small chance that you would trade that subframe form some green?($$$) If the plow and everything is there, then disregard my question.

ok i just missed the cub cadet wheel weights on pittsburgh CL for $20! did one of you guys snag em!
bash.gif

I tried to put a space between the picture and the wording but it didnt work tried 3 times and now I cant get at it it wont let me. Is there a different way because the note pad with pencil isnt working. thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back