• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 24, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Richard P

yes that is the price per liter of reg gas here in Nova Scotia. so that would be $4.83 at 4.56 conversion. Later Don T

DTANNER
I would love to find an 82 or super series with a diesel. I have seen that the new thing to do with them is put a turbo from a smart car on them. There are a couple vids on you-tube with them. they sound goooood !

joe

Looking for chain stores that sell sandblasting sand cheap -- like 2 or 3 bucks for a hundred pound bag. Any suggestions? What is the going rate for this?

Steve S.,
You might want to try looking at some swimming pool filter sand.
I think it will be more than $3/100#, but it is filtered and clean, not as much $$ as blasting sand and it's not 'play sand' either.
I've heard it works/cuts well too.

Ryan Wilke
thumbsup.gif

Look what followed me home tonight. This one is for parts...engine is blown and steering column is flopping around. Good news is that it has spring assist, Brinly sleeve hitch, snow plow, tiller (mostly), and a pretty nice 42" deck. After I unload it and sort through to figure out what I want to keep, I'll be parting out the rest.

Interesting note on this K301...it has the right dipstick on top, but the cam gear cover also has fill tube with a screw on cap instead of a smooth cover like my others with a top dipstick.

180005.jpg

180006.jpg

180007.jpg

180008.jpg

180009.jpg

on my cub hydrolift, I noticed that the springyness on the lever is gone on one side. To lower the hydraulics, it is really easy. To raise it, you feel the spring. This must have happened a while ago. As a "fix", I put a little bungy cord on it. If I was going to fix it factory style, how would i do that? I couldn't find an exploded view of what the innards looks like.

Hey jerry.
You have 2 good pieces in that pic. A cub with a jeep comanche pulling it. I had 3 comanches but just sold one. They are pretty cool trucks.

I just saw the coolest cub i ever seen it is on craigs list rockford, il. it is 4 wheel drive,hydro,articulating, and has a loader It is just plain cool

Jeff,
Thanks for mentioning that articulating cub. I'm slowly gathering the parts to build one very similar to that in the near future. I like seeing things like that since it gives me ideas on how to do my own project.

I'm nearing the completion of my 1650 restore. My wife said she wants to park in the garage this winter so I need to get that "pile of parts" put back together. I started two winters ago and last winter it spent the whole time in the garage since I was going to get the painting done (and it took a lot longer than it should have). It's sort of nice having her insist that I put in some cub time for a change
thumbsup.gif

Josh my tractor came with lights, 3 point, and creeper. It had the main shaft twisted and 2nd and 3rd gear out in the transmision. With some good friendship and help with parts it is in great shape now. This picture was before i had done any work on it. I did add a outlet for checking creeper oil level also.
Luther
180013.jpg

180014.jpg

Jerry, the upper tube is there for putting the oil in. Mine just has a stubby dipstick and I think it says oil fill only or something like that.

I think they put the one on the side to make it easier to check the oil.

Randy

Jerry Muncie,
I may be wrong, but I think you will find that cam gear cover dip stick cap is a "push in" like the one in these pictures, rather than a screw on. The cap is just knurled for easier gripping. This one is from an engine out of a 126.
180016.jpg

180017.jpg

Steve-

I would not use anything that silica in it. It will do nasty things to your lungs. The Farm & Fleet where I live sells "Black Diamond" which I think is slag from steel mills, and it's like $7 for 50 lbs. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you put a tarp down and collect as much as you can, you can sandblast most of a tractor with 2 or 3 bags.

Paul & Randy,

You're right. It's a push-in lower dipstick with a stubby upper. I only had about 10 minutes to look at it in the daylight last night and didn't pull them out. My other engines with the upper tube all have dipsticks in them.

Also figured out that some PO had taken the tiller right angle gearbox apart and left the small bevel gear out. Good thing I got the tiller for parts--I needed the belt guards.

Jerry

Jerry M.,
The 'dual tube' engine is a good indication that the engine has/had balance gears (also known as the "grenade" gears) installed inside the crankcase.
The grenade gears are likely the cause for the death of that K301 engine.
bazooka.gif

Ryan Wilke

Those knurled dipsticks are really good for burning your fingers if you decide to check the oil in a hot engine.
blush.gif

PSA

"SKIP" MENNERICK III of R.F. Houtz and Son, Inc.
Charles "Skip" Mennerick III, 29, of Elburn, Ill., died suddenly and tragically Friday morning, Oct. 23, 2009.

Funeral arrangements are pending and being handled with care by Conley Funeral Home. For more information, call 630-365-6414.}

How many hours will a well maintained Kohler last before a rebuild? I have one that has 1200 hours and does not use hardly any oil?

I have a model 126 and my rear coil springs at the end of the drive shaft rotted out, I got the old ones out and I am having problems getting the new ones in. I was wondering if any one has a easy way to do this because I think that I might be doing it wrong.

Latest posts

Back