• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 19, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, and if u missed it, here she is on a good day...
43087.jpg

43088.jpg

43089.jpg

43090.jpg

<font color="ff0000">You too, Glen - hit ENTER between each image. Folks with lower resolutions have to horizontally scroll if you don't</font>

Ok Guys I have put off working on my original for long enough. I pulled the engine this spring to find out where the knock was coming from. Well I think I found it, seems to be coming from the camshaft? I have the rod and piston out of it and when you spin it over you hear a loud clink or knock just before the exhaust valve opens. There doesn't seem to be any excessive play in the two gears. I don't know where to go from here.
dunno.gif

READY FOR SNOW
43137.jpg

Plow blade painted with slip plate,snow should slide off nicely (hopefully)

Michael, that noise from the camshaft is probably the compression release and I think that's normal. Was there excessive carbon build up on the piston that could cause it to knock? Did you check the rod bearing clearance?

No I am pretty sure its not the ACR system. You could turn the engine over before I took it apart and hear the sound. The piston does show some wear on the skirt but the cylinder has no ridge to it at all. The piston is stamped 10 over but it seems a little loose in the cylinder which quite honestly could be they way its supposed to be I don't know a whole lot about these engines. But the sound is still there with the piston out. Honestly it sounds like my 71 before I tightend the front pulley properly but this one isn't loose at all. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive to have a shop fix it I would let them deal with it. On top of that all the shops I have talked to for parts won't order parts or fix anything this old.
swear.gif

No carbon on the piston and I didn't measure the rod but there wasn't enough play in it before i took it apart to make it knock.

how do i open up the generator on a 100 after removing the two long bolts in the back. Im trying to do this without breaking anything

Ken M.
Man you look like someone just kicked your dog setting on that O!

Robert F.
Smack one end or the other with a small dead blow hammer or use a screwdriver to pry the ends off.

<font size="+2">PD12 Will Be Sat. 28th on the RAIN DATE</font>

Guys, this one is tough, but Dad and I decided that we will be having <font size="+2">Plow Day 12 on the 28th</font>.

Today was another zero drying day. Local farmers have just got back into the fields to pick corn, but it's pretty marginal for that. All of the trucks are out on the road and the auger wagons are rutting up the endrows pretty bad.

Dad tried plowing with a 782 w/12" and a gear drive 82 series w/10" and ATV tires tonight. Both balled up mud on the tires so bad it was hitting the side sheets...you could make progress, but it was ugly.

This soil absolutely will not tollerate any more moisture and unfortunately even though tomorrow looks like a good drying day, Sat is almost a sure bet for rain in every forcast I've seen. We really don't want to get all of you on the road and spending $ to get here only to find out that .1" of rain on Friday night or Saturday morning kills the whole thing (and it would, there's just no margin for error). Had we not had so much rain this week things would be different, but we have decided we were on too thin of ice and owed all of you a reasonable time frame to adjust your plans.

As of right now, next week looks promising. The schedule for Friday night plowing and Saturday's main event will be the same, but will be delayed one week until the 27th and 28th.

We know this will mess up your plans and will change who can and can't come, unfortunately there just isn't any other choice at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and we will see as many of you as possible next week!!!!

Steve and "Big Steve"

Steve,
No problem man!!!! Working the b/dirt when it's wet sux, plus it's a b---h to break down again. I know, and I hope others understand that when all the Cubs age gone after a Plow Day YOU have to deal with the "left overs"!!

charlie,
so the only screws holding it together are the two long ones. Also, what signs should i check for to see if the motors dead inside??

I need some help! Please!
Since the plow day has been set for the rain date, I can't make it.
thumbdown.gif
I have a family get together next Saturday that I can't miss.
I was really looking forward to plowing in some black Ill. dirt again.
Anyways.....I was to meet Mike Masheris and pick up my Jiffy-Balling Sickle Mower. Is there anyone that would like to pick it up and bring it closer to me in N.E. Indiana? I will make it worth your while. Thanks!

Kent,
I know Ryan M. was planning on being there this weekend, he might still be coming next weekend. Since he just moved and is close to ya, you might email him.

I know I don't want to plow in the mud!
happy.gif

One year we got so much mud under the fenders it stopped some tractors. That is not good. We did take a bunch of that good black dirt home with us though!
happy.gif

See you rain or shine next week Steve. Good call!
We'll keep our fingers crossed for a better day.

Greetings!

For those of you interested in a newbees progress. Reversed the hydraulic lines last night and now the snow blade goes up and down when I pull or push the hydro control. Not the other way around. For others new to this hobbie and message board, if you switch from lighter to heavier hydro lines ("I'll fix it real good!!!!) realize that it can be difficult to get heavier lines and fittings to go where you need them to in confined spaces. Also found the problem with the front hydros that swing the snow blade. It was a frozen piston valve. (Thanks to all for advice on this one.) Liquid Wrench and repeatedly tapping and pulling the valve and now I have the blade working as it should. This weekend I'm replacing the ISO mounts. Front ones are shot and I'm doing all four as preventive maintenance, painting the snow blade and blower with graphite paint and perhaps I'll have time to attach and start playing with the snow blower.

Eric N. -

If you're replacing the isomounts, are you replacing the snubbers, too? I'd suggest it...

Hi Folks,

I've looked a Binder Books and I see that there are a variety of manuals for my tractor and then additional manuals for implements (50" mower deck, snow plow and snow blower). What manuals would folks recomend as a 'basic' set (1978 model 1650). At this point I don't seem myself doing engine rebuilds, modifications and such, but it would be good to know more about operating and basic maintenance.

Eric N. -

That's answered in the FAQ at the link above.

Bryan,

What are the snubbers? For that matter, when I look at the engine mounts I 'think' I need to do the work, but I haven't actually seen a good pic of what I'm working toward. I can get the ISO mounts locally, so I figured when I see a fresh mount I can get a better idea of how bad mine are and what I'm working toward. I'm hoping this work helps address belt tension issues (again, thanx for suggestion from the message board) I had with my mower deck when I had it on. A good description of pic of this application would be helpful.

Eric N. -

All the more reason to have the manuals. Lotsa pics and diagrams.

If you have to ask what the snubbers are (2 rubber bumpers at the front of the rails), they obviously have disintegrated to the point of nonexistence
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back