• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 16, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a safe and fun Plow Day, be sure to take plenty of photos.
happy.gif

323264.jpg

Don, with the engine off and with the PTO disengaged (handle pulled all the way back) does the mower deck and all the belts turn easily? You should be able to reach in under the frame and pull the mower drive belt back and forth, or reach under the mower deck and turn the blades and they should turn easily and the belts should all move. If not, something is binding up. If it all moves easily, either the PTO engagement is not adjusted correctly or the PTO itself is not adjusted or has worn out and is slipping. With the engine off, you can check if the PTO is slipping by placing the PTO engagement handle all the way forward, then flex it out past the stop and push it even farther forward, see drawing below. This is the position you would place the PTO engagement handle in for installing and removing the drive belt. It also should make the PTO fully engaged regardless of how it is adjusted. With the lever in this position, try moving the mower blades and or belts. If they move with little to no resistance the PTO is likely worn out.

323266.jpg

Thanks Kraig - I'll do all these things this weekend. If the PTO is worn out, I'll be watching plenty of YouTube videos to figure out how to replace it.

Don, the PTO can be easily rebuilt. CC Specialties, see the colored boxes above, can get you the rebuild parts.

Don,

Make sure the rockshaft arm has the fiber button that engages the metal button on the front of your PTO clutch.

323273.jpg

Those buttons do break easily and then the rockshaft arm is in direct contact with the PTO button and bad things happen quickly. There are aftermarket brass buttons available which will last much longer. They cost more but well worth the extra cost and you will never have to worry about a missing button again.

323274.jpg

The sponsors in the colorful boxes at the top of the page can help you out with getting a new button or PTO clutch kit if you need one.

Kraig - definitely. I've bought things from Charlie before.

Now that you mention it, the black button looks all mushed up around the PTO button...almost like it melted? I'll take a picture today.

Maybe that's why the PTO isn't engaging as well....or slipping

Don, pushing the button in releases the PTO, letting the button out engages the PTO, so it's not likely the problem if the PTO is slipping. But it's good that Ron brought it up because if it's missing bad things happen to the PTO (and the throwout lever)... I highly recommend the brass buttons, they are much better than the fiber buttons.

Kraig - Just ordered one fiber button and one brass button (so I'll have a spare for future use)

Don and Kraig - although Kraig stated "the PTO can be easily rebuilt", it can be a PIA to remove. If the PTO fiber button looks like it's partially melted then your PTO almost certainly needs to be rebuilt. Engaging the button is what allows the PTO clutch to stop rotating. If the PTO is working correctly it only takes very slight pressure from the fiber button to allow the clutch to stop (dis-engage). If you have to apply strong pressure the PTO will attempt to continuing rotating and causes the fiber button to melt. I don't know if it will melt the bronze buttons but it will likely ruin them.

So, overall I can't really figure out what the problem is, but it could be more than one. If the PTO has failed Don should not be able to stop the mowing deck blade rotation YET he says they start slowly and hardly turn.

I believe the problem must be in the PTO clutch. If must be continually slipping. I don't know what failed part would allow that unless a piece of the main spring is jammed up and/or broken, and/or the 3 little springs on the special screws are broken and not allowing the pressure plates to come together. Something is really screwed up here.

Maybe the clutch bearing has completely failed and/or the lock collar has come loose. Who knows?

Don - if you read this in time maybe you can call Charlie (or send URGENT e-mail) and have him HOLD shipping your order for the new buttons until you figure out all the parts you need.

Also, make sure you have downloaded a copy of the Service Manual from the Manuals thread. You need it to fully understand all the steps required for removal, rebuild, and installation.

Latest posts

Back