• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 16, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Jarrod,

Don't mess with the big pulley on the crankshaft, if it's in line with the pulley on the starter generator and the belt runs straight, it's fine....leave it alone.

The C shaped ring in the front of your PTO bearing is the stop ring, leave it in there, slide the bearing on the end of the crank until it seats firmly against the stop and then tighten down the eccentric lock collar and set screw.

These items are not your problem.

You will need the correct PTO rebuild kit for your tractor and possibly a new steel button as Ken suggested. The 3 little triangle shaped throw out arms should all look the same and not be torn up or damaged.

Follow the rebuild instructions as noted in the tractor's manual and the rebuild kit (especially the part about how to align the drive ears before tightening down the T/O arms and how to tighten the T/O arms with the gauge supplied in the kit.

When it's rebuilt pay careful attention to how the anti-rattle springs are installed as you slid the unit back over the bearing and into the drive cup (this is where that earlier step about the alignment of the ears is important).

Adjust the air-gap on the T/O lever as specified and burnish the clutch disk by engaging the mower at medium to high RPM a few times then enjoy another 20 years of good PTO clutch.

Good luck, it's not as hard as it looks once you get into it.

BTW, buy an L-cheap-O 7/16" wrench and grind about 1/2 of the thickness off of the open end (or use a tappet wrench). This will allow you to loosen/tighten those thin jam nuts against eachother much easier. If they are really stuck on disassembly hit them with some penetrating oil...you'll be rebuilding the clutch anyway, so you don't care if you get oil on the clutch disk....it's not long for this world!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

62447.jpg

Thank you Steve and Ken.

I'm going to get a rebuild kit, grind myself a wrench, and follow the instructions carefully. And I will need a new steel button as mine is toast. Actually, I will need a new wear button for the linkage as Ken mentioned also, apparently my wear button has been worn away for quite some time--it's not even there anymore.
yikes.gif
Is that wear button just pressed in or something? Mine's so far gone I can't even tell how it was fastened to the arm.

Again--I appreciate all the help I've received here.
beerchug.gif

Jarrod - Yep the button just presses in the arm providing the hole isn't messed up from the MIA button. If you use the fiber button and the hole is still in good shape don't get excited when you see how tight of fit it is, just use even pressure pushing it in.

Now that you and Steve mentioned the lock ring I sorta remember mine having one but like I said it's been years since I did mine. I figured somebody would fill in what I forgot.

Steve - thankx

Jarrod - Doesn't Albany have gun laws prohibiting the use of deadly force on Cub Cadets ?? ;)

Ken--LOL, yeah, Albany along with ALL of Wisconsin has pitiful gun laws, only the criminals here carry weapons (oh, and I guess the police...sure hope they're around if we ever need them)
bash.gif
. But that sure doesn't mean I won't protect myself if the cub ever decides to inflict great bodily harm on me...
roflol.gif
Nah, the cub is safe...for now...
rofl.gif
biggrin.gif

Jarrod,
Looks like Grump season will open soon in Kentucky! You up for some target practice?
biggrin.gif

BTW,
Did I mention that Cub stuff is dirt cheap in N.D. and northern Minnesota!
I stopped by one place and asked a guy if he had any Cubs for sale, He took me to the big barn and there's prolly 200 settin there. He said take your pick, LOL
Course he had a thing for takin pics, so I didn't get any, sigh!

Charlie, next time you go on a road trip searching for Cubs can I ride shotgun?
bouncy.gif

Kraig,
Ya sure you betcha!
I did manage to snag this one the other day though. I just have to go get it.
These hydraulic lift thingys are just comin out of the woodwork these days.
62449.jpg

62450.jpg

Charlie, did that 125 fall out of a trailer or something? Looks like the grill is bent back and the hood is sure bent up. I have a "few" spare 1x4/5 grills, I might even have a spare hood or 3. If you need one or the other to get that 125 back in shape let me know. I owe ya. BTW, I got the pesky PTO off of my #2 125 on Saturday. The slide hammer I bought did the trick. Thanks for the hint.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the responses yesterday on the Linamar cracked pan question. I have removed some of the body work and I can see what appears to be a small crack next to one of the oil drain plugs so I am pretty sure there is a larger problem underneath. I'll post again once I get deeper into it.
I replaced the original Onan a few years ago and this Linamar was IH/Case dealers solution. The Onan had started knocking loudly and lost significant power. Probably rebuildable but not cost effective. The Linamar looks nearly identical to the Onan except for the depth of the flywheel. Had to add a spacer for that difference. Now the repower solution appears to be a Honda If I want to spend that kind of money again.

Jarod:

How far is Albany from Appleton? May need your help come monday...If the judge does not favor me in the 782D case, I might be a little upset...maybe have some bail money ready...

Digger....got any of those <u>HYDROLIC!</u> units for sale LOL

HELP! My 149 is starving for fuel. Clean tank, clean fuel, clean carb, new hose, new fitting, new filter, proper float setting. But it goes for about 100 feet and stops. Wait about a minute and it goes another 100 feet and stops. There is no screen in the tank, and fuel flows freely out of the hose. I'm considering adding a fuel pump!

John,
The first thing I would check would be the gas cap, if it doesn't have a hole to vent, it will do what you describe.

John G.- Is the vent hole in your gas cap plugged? Take it off and see how far it goes.
dunno.gif

Kraig:

I was following Diggers play on how people spell Hydraulic!

I got some of those "hydrolic" units...lol

Frank, yeah, I know, I was poking fun too, thus the "
roflol.gif
".
lol.gif

Guys,
I need some advice on getting some spark to the points/plug on my Model 71. With the ignition switch in the run position, I've got 12v to the + side of the coil and 12v coming out of the - side too. There is 12v at the points. When I crank the engine I see no spark at the gap, which is set at .020. I've got a new condensor and new points, and I've swapped the coil with a known good coil from a running 109. I've run an extra ground wire from the battery to the engine. Still no spark What am I overlooking?

Frank/Charlie, If ya'll have a x-tra hydraulic lift control handle from a parts unit I sure would be interested in buying it from you. Even a hydrolic lift handle would work (sic). The make is Hydro-unit, model A4CCWH. It now has a 1" flat bar stock for a handle and it just aint right!!

Lyle, it goes the same distance with cap on or off. Dangdest thing I've ever seen!

Latest posts

Back