• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through November 22, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,
If the button is not piping up enough it could also be the manual lift arm is bent. When I used my manual lift 73 with a snow thrower I bent the manual lift arm trying to lift a fully loaded thrower.

Kenny, Roland may come on later and give you some real help...but for now look at the FAQ on top of this page...then go to Charlies FAQ's on top that page and look at #60. wiring diags for various tractors. Might be a starting point.

Got a line on a 149.Anybody know of any items I should be attentive to?It's an original Ohio tractor now residing in southeast Alabama.Thanks.
clappy.gif

Hey guys I have realy enjoyed this for months now. It is Great. I amPreparing to adjust my hydro linkage on my 147 and 127 and got some good info from here. Have designed a tool to make this easy. Will post more later.
Luther

Ribbed tires do help hold the hills, particularly in soft ground. I'm not of the opinion that side slipping tires are a safety feature. Not being able to go where you point your wheels is never a good thing, and sliding downhill when you are mowing next to a deep road cut or ravine only gets you into deeper trouble than being able to nurse it back up onto the flats if the high grass hides an unexpected dip that causes your rig to list more than you expect.
dunno.gif

Digger,

Awhile back you posted a picture of 3 PTO clutchs, light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty.

Were those clutches an option? Or is it the more HP you have the more the clutch got heavier? What usually goes wrong with those clutches? Im not too familar with them since all I have is a 782!

Jim,
The PTO's are from different tractors is all. The light duty and medium duty wereon certain serial numbered tractors from what I've found. Up to a certain number had one style and so on.
The heavy duty were I believe on the 129,149,169 type tractors. I'm sure someone that's knows the techy stuff will know for sure.
The main thing that happens to most clutches is, the owners don't pay attention to the center button and when it wears out, it causes the clutch fingers to get eatin up. Other than that, they do really well IMHO.

Well, when I bought my 149, I ran it well, looked it over mechanically, at least as best as I could, and then decided wether or not I would put down the money for it... I would also ask the current owner for any background info, so you can see just what the h*** your tractor has done for others in the past...

Side hill mowing? I didn't think much about it all the years I mowed with the 129 (hike up on the high side and don't do anything too quick), but learned just how far I'd been pushing it after getting my new "cub" (S..g Tiger Cub). Side hills are a definite nono with a 1300 pound ZTR with counter weights over the free wheeling "castors". I thought about it after the first few times I slid sideways and figured out that four wheels resisting the sideways slide are always gonna be better than two....
screwloose.gif

Jim Storma: After talking to Digger, let me expound on the mechanical clutches a bit:
1) There are only two general versions
A: the Original bent-end tri-spring model without those cast "posts" on the Cast-Iron pulley. These bent-end springs are now available only in the rebuild kit.
B: The later version (sometimes called the heavy duty version) with dual flat-end tri-springs and cast "posts" to keep the dual springs aligned. This version came in two types (same dual tri-springs)where one was without a blade brake and the other had a blade brake. The addition of the OSHA required blade brake was the only difference. These flat-end tri-springs are available in both the rebuild kit and separately.
2) Any other combination, like only using a single flat-end tri-spring, is the likely result of inexperience, only parts available, or maybe the inability to read and follow the rebuild instructions.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks Myron.

All this talk of side hill mowing prompted me to do some digging for some stuff I saw a long time ago in some mower service manuals.
If anyone wants the larger version, feel free to email me. But I think common sense pretty much keeps us all fairly safe.
45982.jpg

Gotta ask...15 degrees? - The guys in Tennessee and Kentucky are just getting warmed up at 15 degrees aren't they? (that's level land there from what I saw on the way to the Smokies ....). I agree on the common sense - funny thing is the only really bad accident I've ever had was mowing up and down a bank rather than laterally - cotter key wore out, dropped the clevis pin out of the shifter cable on an off brand type w/hydro (M....y/F....n), let it go into full reverse, down the bank backwards at full speed till it caught a little stump, swung 90 degrees and then did a 360 barrel roll with me still in the seat. Ended up in the swampy ditch covered with slime. Took a Jeep Wagoneer to get the tractor pulled out. Wife said I looked like Creature from The Black Lagoon when I came to the door. Bought the 129 shortly after that, started mowing across the bank rather than up and down. Check cotter keys quite often last 20 years. My two posts for the year......back to lurking.

Luther please pass along yer hydro adjustment tool design ASAP cause them narrow frames are such a PITA!!!!!!!!!

Charlie - Maybe that shipper that sent ya a box full of church papers is trying to give ya a message!!!LOL.

Hugh; sorry I don.t have pictures yet. I cut a 5 inch length of 2 inch aluminum chanel then cut a slot to fit the adjusting nut.7/8" into one side of the chanel. Pushed hydro lever forward and layed the tool bedind the shaft and agnist the dash tower, then pulled lever down to adjust. Each time tightens about 1/4 turn. Thanks again everyone for this great site. <font face="arial,helvetica"></font><font face="courier new,courier"></font><font face="symbol"></font>

Charlie .... You've said it so much better than I could ... however...<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1">HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!</font></font>

Anybody got one o these to look forward to today??? Happy Thanks Giving
45999.jpg

We have a lot to be thankful for here in the good old USA.
46001.jpg

We got the sheet metal mostly on for our new garden tractor storage shed yesterday. You'll soon be able to see most of mine lined up inside this building. It replaces our old hog house that was falling down. We used the same foundation for the replacement shed.

Latest posts

Back