• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 15, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Rob, one advantage to the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> weight is that it can be mounted on the inside of the rim provided that your Cub has internal brakes. Note the left rear of Steve B's 100:

44449.jpg

AFAIK, any wheel weight designed for a 12" rim should bolt right up.

Rob N. - The rear wheels on Our Cub Cadets are made to a Wheel & Rim Manufacturer's Association Standard so weights for an orange, blue, yellow, green, red, purple, or other color tractor as long as it has the same size tires like 6-12, 23-8.50X12, 23-10.50X12, or 26-12.00X12 should bolt to Your CC. There may be exceptions, like the early JD 400's had some odd-ball wheel with about a 10" bolt pattern in a 12" rim. And there's been some weird 4-bolt pattern wheels use on other tractors, even the newer Cub Cadets that I don't think will accept weights.

For those who have not had the pleasure of tearing into a 40 year old Cub steering assembly here is what you will find.( Typical)

44453.jpg

Kraig/Dennis,

Thanks for the info on the wheel weights. Sure I would love to have a IH set, but the price for 52 pounds of pig iron is very astronomical. What I have noticed is valve stem location differences between manufactures, some wheel weights do not have the cutouts in the weights at all or in the wrong location.

Kraig,

If I mounted the IH weights to the inside, I would be hard to show them off to you guys!
err.gif

Rob, there are a few guys around that like to hog all the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> weights. Perhaps if they would sell some the price would go down. Please note that these are not my weights, I only have 3 sets or is it 4 sets? :eek:)

Also please note that these were originally designed for the front wheels on the Farmall Cub so the guys collecting those are also after these weights.

44455.jpg

44456.jpg

44457.jpg

44458.jpg

ROB - The division of the steel foundry I used to work for located in Bettendorf, IA used to make a casting for an automobile or scrap metal shredder that You could feed entire cars into. This casting was called a "Pin Protector" for protecting the hammer pins inside the shredder....For you guys with 59M shredders.... some of these scrap shredders were over 9 feet wide X over 8 ft in diameter driven by 5000-6000 HP elec. motors and weighed over 80,000#....Anyhow... this pin protector was almost the exact same size & shape as a CC weight except it had FIVE cutouts for the valve stem. Even made from steel it still only weighed 26#.

Kraig,
I think this guy might have gone a bit over board with the wheel weight setup. Imagine the stress on the axel. I wonder how he mows around trees?
44461.jpg

KraigM. Aw c'mon now. Those guys aren't hogging those weights. They are just like the fellas controlling the diamond and gold mines. Don't want to flood the market ... do you?
happy.gif
After all... your wife wouldn't be very happy if suddenly her diamond ring wasn't worth anything... Now imagine the poor guy that just paid a hundred bucks for a set of Cub weights... HIS wife aint gonna be very happy once she finds out that suddenly they ae worth only $20.00 a set.
biggrin.gif

Dennis F.
I know that for a fact that my newer cub cadet 3235 will accept the old style IH wheel weights and even the old style MTD wheel weights as seen in this photo.
44468.jpg

<font size="-2">Yeah I know it aint an IH cub cadet, but it fits the wheel weight discussion</font>

<font color="0000ff">please no links to online selling sites for ongoing auctions (Ebay, businesses, etc.).</font>

G.L., Once you scrub off the old dirt, grease, and rust things will start to look better. If you are following the FAQ, it should be possible to make the box work nearly as good as new, assuming the casting is intact. The main thing to watch for is to make sure the tip of the adjusting screw where it gets into the worm drive has been de-flat spotted, or it will be very difficult to adjust the slack out of the steering box. Replace the bearing balls if they are badly pitted, pump it full of grease when you get it back together, and enjoy! While you got it apart, you might as well get the slack out of the rest of the steering linkage by making sure your tie-rod and drag link ends are in good shape, and deal with any roll-pin and spindle issues if it's a narrow-frame.

J Michael,

The 26 inch lift works fine. But it lifts the blower high enough, when fully lifted, that the yoke rubs on the lift bar below the yoke. Not a need to fix right now kind of thing, but this should be a cheap fix and it will keep my wife and kids from having to worry about funny clacking noises should they end up running the tractor with the blower.

Thanks for the other pointers on working with the blower.

Any chance you would know the outside diameter of a stock 1650 muffler. I need to cut a hole in the grill and mount an elbow on the exhaust to prevent melting and then freezing snow on the blower.

Hi Guys,

This talk about HyTran has me a little nervous. I recall an earlier discussion but can't nail down in the vault. Anyway, when I blew a hydro line a couple months ago I replaced the fluid with a "Hytran comparable" or replaces Hytran" hydraulic fluid. Also, I DID NOT replace the filter at that time. What is the opinion. Go back to 'real' Hytran and do filter, or not?

Hello,

That picture of all those wheel weights remind me of when I was a boy pullin my uncle's original with 11 sets of wheel weights.. we never broke an axle or anything major and we did it for a lot of summers.........Howie

OK, serious comment/question about wheel weights. I haven't been able to find any locally (Eastern Shore of Maryland) and expect that the shipping cost would be too much to buy a set out of town.

I notice tractors using both wheel weights and suitcase weights on a rear mounted rack. Could I use just the rear weights with my snow blower? Suitcase weights are easy to find around here.

Thanks for any/all advice.

Zimm

Bruce,
Thanks for the tips! This one makes 40 or more I have re-built but one can always learn!!!!My frustration is when I find the bearing races machined into the worm are pitted. In that case there is little to do. I also think moisture getting in the assembly is the single worse culprit.
Thanks!!!
G.L. from the Blue Ridge Mts.of Va.

Tip on shipping wheel weights. One will fit in a regulation size "Flat Rate" shipping box from the P.O for 8.20 anywhere in the USA. That is more than cheap for a 26# weight.
G.L. for the Blue Ridge Mts in Va.

Latest posts

Back