• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 09, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BRYAN, DON - About the ONLY thing I ever found that those old 2-cylinder tractors, the green ones with yellow wheels, were good for was LAUNCHING old soup cans 20 ft off the ground when you forgot to take the can off the mufflerwhen you started them. When that first cylinder fired the can went flying. Neighbor's WD-45 Allis did a pretty good job too.

We always had rain caps on our Farmall's because we were afraid we'd chip the paint if the can fell on the hood or grill.

But for the most part, we always found room in a barn or shed for the tractors over-night. Sometimes it was hard like if they had a 4-row cultivator or mounted picker on them.

When SON had my 72 for a month or two this spring, one Friday he was just getting started mowing. Neighbor came out and asked if he wanted to use his other brand riding mower, think it's a red MTD. Son politely said "No, this thing can handle it!" Neighbor got in his car and left for an hour till SON was done. Luckily I have no close beighbors, and during most of the mowing season my yard is surrounded by corn. Corn makes a great noise barrier. I do wear headphones when I run the 72, plugged into the AM/FM radio.

Neil A Mercer

If you spray something like WD 40 into the carb throat and it will stay running. I would say the carb has some gunk in it and needs a good cleaning. The gas we get is garbage and when it dries out in the small idle passages in the carbs it plugs off gas flow. A can of carb cleaner and some air will get it running again.I have two Cubs here that worked great and now don`t run. I will clean the carb and I know that will last for awhile. I try to run the Carb dry before parking a cub and find the carbs don`t need cleaning as often.

Denny
The exhaust on my 129 loader is run from the stock muffler to under my right foot . It still scares the crap out of me when it back fires when I shut it down .
bash.gif

Neil, I'm going over some old notes (trying to consolidate them, taking a trip down memory lane or whatever) and had (have) a 125 that the wire from the coil to the points was just hanging on by a thread and that thread was breaking. Made it act like a fuel problem. Just saying.
happy.gif

Don, thats the problem I thought I was having turned out to be the filter on the top of the fuel shutoff valve inside the tank was partly plugged up. got it cleaned up and will be putting it back together in about another hour.

Frank thanks for the tip. I had that problem on my Monkey Wards several years ago took me forever to figure out that problem.

Hey Fcurrier - that wire from the coil to points hanging by a thread - was the thread on the coil end, or was it where the wire goes into the points cover with that little rubber dowhicky? And by the way, how do you pronounce Fcurrier?

Neil A Mercer

Oh I thought I read you had fuel (gas ) to the float . Don`t over look the hole in the gas cap . the tank must get air to allow the gas to flow.

DON - That's hard on mufflers and there's a good way to prevent that popping upon shut-down. Lower your idle speed a little and then let the engine cool down at an idle for a couple minutes before shutting the engine off. None of my tractors EVER do that.

Years ago when I first started doing field work on big tractors, the Super M-TA would pop occasionally, sometimes even run backwards for a second or two. But a couple days plowing pretty well burned all the carbon out of the combustion chambers which would glow white hot and set the fuel/air charge off when the ignition was turned off.

Can't stress enough how important letting an engine idle and cool down before shutting a hot engine off is. Your piston rings & exh valves will last MUCH longer. About every operator's manual I've ever read says that in the shut-down procedure.

Harry: It was under the points cover, between the RUBBER GROMMET and the points. Fcurrier, at least when I was a Registered Maine Guide was usually pronounced (where in) Fkawe.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Denny

I do try to let the 129 loader run at idle ; but I think it really needs the head removed and cleaned . I have 100 hrs on it since the rebuild and it does run rich . It rarely will see 3600 rpm`s .Mostly it will see half throttle because of run away with a loaded bucket.I think it might be time for Sea Foam spray carbon cleaner and spray some water through the carb throat at 2000 rpm`s : I have had good luck with that removing carbon lol.

Latest posts

Back