• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 14, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, Tecumseh sold it's engine and engine parts assets to CPC and it's Peerless Transmission assets to Husqvarna. They aren't out of business - yet... Fortunately, it doesn't impact IHC Cub tractor owners, although some of the (OT) lawn mower stuff may have used Peerless.

Kendell,

I know the long going debate, but didn't the 1100 and the 582 Special use a Peerless transmission. If one goes bad, could be a good time to swap out to a CI IHC rear end and make them into a 1200 or 582. I have read that is had been difficult to find parts for these, and this could make it even worse.....

Scott

clappy.gif

That was the response I was expecting...
No, I'm not a great fan of recent Tecumsehs myself. Just pointing out that the kit is available and the engine is half the weight.
But, if someone did want to disrespect the Cub Cadet name I suppose it wouldn't be a bad engine to power that 10KW generator being discussed earlier. I would hope that it would be decent on gas if you could get it to run decently... Looks like they fabbed an engine mount,wire harness adapters and drive shaft mount but I have no idea what else might be involved.

On a positive note for Tecumseh, I've got a 4hp on a snow blower that's running strong. And an Eager engine on a Craftsman self propelled that still starts on the first pull after being primed. They haven't failed me yet. But then I have been taking care of them. Even so, still not really a fan...
Sorry for the agitation... I couldn't resist.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Tecumseh sold a couple of their product lines to other companies. CLICK HERE It seems so interesting how everyone is down on Tecumseh. If I recall didn't IH install Tecumseh in a couple of rear engine riders? Also, at Plow Day 17 there were a couple of vintage Sears with OEM Tecumseh engines. Massey Ferguson put Tecumseh in their MF10 and MF12 series garden tractors. The MF10 that my parents bought new in 1968 had a Tecumseh and we literally wore that engine out. Same thing with the replacement Tecumseh engine.

Remember Polaris snowmobiles? When Polaris wanted to put an engine in their first snowmobiles the ONLY manufacturer to actually offer a year around warranty (guaranteed to perform in the winter climate as well as the other three seasons) was another "JUNK" engine.... Clinton Engines. Not even Kohler or Briggs would warranty their engines in the winter time. This info came from a book that Polaris put out around fifteen years ago. Maybe today's Tecumseh engines aren't the quality they should be. EVERY manufacturer has a product that will give one of their customers troubles.

I guess this is somewhat similar to not wanting to accept the Cub Cadet models with a Peerless transmission as not being a true Cub Cadet garden tractor. Hmmm... Then I guess my MF10 and all those green JD 110, 112, other JD models as well as the Case 210 that all have the Peerless transmission aren't true garden tractors. Why? Because they don't have a Cub Cadet gear transmission or a 15U shaft drive hydro. Those thoughts are sad when you consider that as rugged as a Cub Cadet gear drive transmission is that when after years of usage will sometimes have trouble with the shifter popping out under a hard pull. Gee... does that mean that Cub Cadets with gear drives aren't as good as thought. Those Sears at PD17 and some of the JDs there also had the Peerless transmission. Everything in time will wear out even with normal maintenance.

Getting back to the Tecumseh engine topic. Remember the Series I Kohlers, the famous balance gears, and some other things that I don't bother to keep up on. All in all Kohler has done a good job with their engines. Still... even Kohler has some that aren't the best.

If you mean the Peerless 2300-series transaxle, I think there will be a lot of them around for a long time. An awful lot of OT tractors used them.

To chime in on the Tecumseh thread, I think nowadays, whether it is power equipment, or cars, the perceived quality award goes to the manufacturer whose product will last the longest with little or no maintenance....

On the topic of Tecumseh engines, Two jobs ago I worked with a Younger Guy that had worked at Tecumseh just before starting at the place We worked together. Normally employees have a sense of pride in their products their companies make. He openly admitted their engines were sorely lacking compared to just about ALL manufacturers 10-12 yrs ago. He said the only decent engine they made was the "Winterized" engine used in most snowblowers.

MATT G. - Too bad about that engine. Don't You think a heavy dose of MMO in the gas and some in the oil would fix it up?

MARLIN H. - We talk about the 1100 & 482 all the time here. And You know as well as anyone here IH marketed Cub Cadet after the release of the 70 & 100 as having a Solid direct-drive power train, "NO BELTS". I know IH had to start competing with the cheaper lawn mowers or loose market share.
I've told this story here before, Back in '65 when Dad traded the '63 Cub Cadet off for the #70, the neighbor who was the head drivetrain engineer for JD's combine plant in E. Moline, IL. was one of the first people to come and look it over closely. Last thing He told Dad before He left was that He'd NEVER buy a JD until they made a rearend/drivetrain as strong as a CC. The first 110's had been out only a few months at that time. He ended up building a home-made mower with a BIG cast iron Wisconsin engine, rear axle from some 1/2 ton pickup, transmission was a prototype He'd designed and bought from JD for scrap price. He ran that mower for a LONG time, 20-25 yrs and mowed a LOT of ground around His farm.

Well, Briggs and Kohler are still in the running.....last I knew.
Peerless transmissions are fine for their intended use, but (in my opinion) never in the same league as a cast iron transaxle that uses the ring and pinion out of a larger tractor. Load the unit down with wheel and chassis weights and run 'em day in, day out for 30 years(not just for tractor pulls). I've got a friend with a bunch of greenie 110's , I swear the reason he keeps buying more is to rob the gears out of 'em.
greenthumb.gif

Scott N. Well said. Individual perception of quality. Out of ALL the farmers that bought the famous Ford 6000 series tractor and had trouble galore I remember reading of one farmer that actually had purchased a downright good tractor. He didn't even let it go back for recall modification/update.

To keep this on topic. I've a good friend that two years ago bought a new 2000 Series Cub Cadet garden tractor with deck. He isn't happy and said his next tractor/mower will be a Craftsman. He's had very good performance with a previous Craftsman.

From what I've heard about parts for Peerless 2300 transmissions is they aren't that hard to get. You just need a good dealer and be willing to do like you do with Cub Cadet, John Deere, and others... that is pay more for them than you think they should cost.
biggrin.gif

Kendell I. From my experience with the Peerless 2300 transmission is the same gears wear out before the others do. This is due to the owner(s) seem to use the same speeds for their work. It was actually cheaper to buy a whole new transmission for the JD110 my brother gave our kids than to buy the worn out gear/shaft combo to repair the old transmission.

Dennis F. Good point with the Tecumseh operations and worker pride. If a company's management doesn't doesn't encourage and promote top quality products then the trickle down effect finds its way to the shop floor. And you are correct about talking about the 1100 and 482 on this Forum. Cub Cadet did have to compete with other markets. Funny thing though is how when I browse through my 1988 Dealer Lawn and Garden tractor/implement book, I see where a couple of other manufacturers were actually higher priced on list price than the comparable model Cub Cadet.

Latest posts

Back