Archive through May 12, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all.
coffee.gif

I had a PTO belt go on my 982 the other day and ever since now when I start the tractor the mower deck is engaged. But after awhile it will shut off and act normal. Is my PTO going bad? Or is there some parts of the old belt caught somewhere???
1a_scratchhead.gif

Wayne Shytle

I have to dig the 1962 Original out of the Cub shed today and get it running. The guy wants some more pictures of it. I offered an even trade for his 125 with deck (missing belt covers) and the tiller.He wants fenders for the O and I won`t take the fenders from my 61 , so I don`t know if the deal will go through. Fenders are imposable to find over here and cost much $$$. I will send pictures today ,but I`am not giving the O away .I think the Originals are harder to find over here and I think the two O`s I have might be all there is.The 62 does have a mower deck to go with it. I will let you know how things go. later Don T

Shultzie

The new belt could just be sticking in the pulleys or the PTO air gap needs to be checked. I think .10 feeler gauge is the air gap for the electric PTO .

Don's off by a decimal place and then some. Without looking at the manual, I think 0.012"-0.017" is the range. It certainly isn't a tenth.

NO luck adjusting the governor arm. I'm afraid the governor gear regulating pin dropped out and isn't there to push on the tab to reduce the engine speed. I guess I will have to open it up to find out for sure. Any other suggestions?

Don-

He has a 982, not a QL. I just looked in the 982 manual, which says the correct air gap is 0.018-0.022". That's more than for a QL or 782, the latter being where my numbers came from (And more than I thought it would be).

Your original post:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I think .10 feeler gauge is the air gap for the electric PTO<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">Set it to 0.1" and the PTO won't even turn on because the gap is five times what it should be. You meant to type 0.01 but forgot the zero to the right of the decimal. That's all I was trying to point out; no need to take it personally and get offended.</font>

DOH!! I just can't seeem to find the correct info on the parts look up. Need to find out what a mower blade with the parts number 490473R1 fits? It's 22" long.

Ok I have checked the FAQs in the past and this was not the problem I'm experiencing. It's almost like saying the speed control lever is too big for the shaft and it's bouncing around. I noticed a hole in the base of it, is there supposed to be a set screw in there that will tighten it to the shaft? Thanks

I almost had the 129 back together when I decided to check out the head gasket. It's a light smoker but still runs (ran) strong. I cleaned what little carbon was there and found this.

239040.jpg

Isn't this a problem just waiting to happen? I don't see evidence of any leaking at that point. It appears to be a bonified crack though. The only other head I have with the proper spark plug hole (for engine tin) is on a QL. Any reason it won't work?

Daniel-

If you're talking about the vertical shaft and the hole it goes into at the bottom then you're missing a flanged nylon bushing that is split in a spiral. The hole is in a little cast bracket held on with two bolts. I'd make sure it's in good shape. The nylon bushing provides the friction and it all needs to be somewhat clean. I even put a tad of grease on mine but that may also be a no no. The sponsors above sell them.

Tom H.
Tilt your head the other way and try again.
OR, put the dash in at the end like it should be,
490473-R1.

3260 Rotary Mower - Built 1969-1976
38", 42" 3 Spindle Mower
60" Rotary Mower - Built 1968-1969

Daniel,
From your profile, you have a 147... A question for NF users, does a NF have a different speed control friction setup than a WF? I'm drawing on fuzzy memories.... My 149 got drilled out and a 5/8 to 1/2 bronze bushing installed... This setup works slick... From the last FAQ I listed, it looks like a differnt friction setup...
1a_scratchhead.gif

With regards to the pin tool discussion; here's what I've always been using
239045.jpg

If referring to the parts diagram for the speed control lever- yes it is a 147- it is loose directly where 18 goes on to 19. If pushed down against the housing it is loose. If pulled up a bit it is tight. Does the speed rod have to be set further downward so the speed control lever is flush?

Daniel,

Is the handle loose on the shaft on top of the dash? Or does the shaft get loose down inside the pedestal? The lever on top has a setscrew to the shaft if it is like the WF handles..

Latest posts

Back