• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CCC982

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
I'm looking at a later 982 - CCC made. It has the Kohler 20 in it instead of the Onan.
My question is, did these have power steering like the 1872's (with the cylinder on the left side of the frame)? - from the picture I can't see one, but I also saw mentioned on another site that later 982's had power steering (but it was worded as "true power steering") leading me to believe that this could be a contained unit on the steering column?

I'm really considering this - let me know if there are issues I should be wary of and should look for that might persuade me not to go this route.

My original plan was to bring the 1864 home that we got for my parents (they don't really use it as much as I'd hoped). But now that this 982 has sparked my interest, the price is good and it's in good shape...I'm considering getting it and letting my brother get the 1864. :drool2:

982 never had power steering from the factory. There was some sort of dealer-installed addon for it that is rare and from what I have read, didn't really improve the steering that much.

It wouldn't have come with a Kohler, either...if it does, someone replaced the original Onan.

Thanks Matt...I was reading that the later model 982's, prior to the 2072's had Kohler mag 20's. Again, just read it on another forum's archived post, but I knew that IH had the Onan only in this model.
I could very well be wrong but would assume, shortly after MTD took over, they would have dropped Onan in favor of Kohler. From a $$$ standpoint, it makes sense. After using all Onan motors left, Kohler would have been provided to finish out that model...before moving on to the successors 1872's and 2072's...

Then again, someone may have ditched the Onan and replaced with a Magnum 20. :drool2:
I'm awaiting response and will get back on here when I hear back...

There were an early small run of 1987 2072's that were Onan powered, then CCC switched to the Mag 20. I've never seen a 982 that was anything but Onan powered, at least from the factory. These tractors are so old that engine swaps have most certainly happened.

There were an early small run of 1987 2072's that were Onan powered, then CCC switched to the Mag 20. I've never seen a 982 that was anything but Onan powered, at least from the factory. These tractors are so old that engine swaps have most certainly happened.
Yeah, you're both right. I did some more digging last night before bed and found out the Onan was in early 2072's as well.

This thing has a Magnum 18 replacement. The machine is in very good condition...I'm up in the air whether I want to get it.
I really wanted power steering, which can be done, I'm just not sure if I want to go through the hassle. The fact that it's in such good shape puts me in the dilemma of getting this one and modding it, or go for an 1872 that may not be as good of shape...

:unsure:

I went ahead and passed on it. I'm between an 1872 with some slight fender damage, or a 2072 with a bad motor (or so claimed).
Both have dual hydraulics. The 2072 has a 60" Haban deck where the 1872 has the standard 50". The 2072 is about $300 less than the 1872 and I'm considering a Command swap for it. 🤔

Well, I pulled the plug and got the 1872. Going to MD today to pick it up.
1000007057.jpg

1000007058.jpg

Be tough to pass on any 982 around here if it's cheap, but that looks like a nice 1872.

I'd been looking long and hard for a super for a few years and ended up landing two 1872s within a few weeks in October. I thought I had a deal made on a 982 in August and the guy backed out on me at the last minute. Gotta love marketplace.

Be tough to pass on any 982 around here if it's cheap, but that looks like a nice 1872.

I'd been looking long and hard for a super for a few years and ended up landing two 1872s within a few weeks in October. I thought I had a deal made on a 982 in August and the guy backed out on me at the last minute. Gotta love marketplace.
The determining factors were...
1) not an IH model
2) no dual hydraulics
3) the magnum swap
4) no power steering

While I agree, power steering wouldn't be necessary with the three ribbed front tires, traction would be my concern. The lawn tread works well and wouldn't chew up my yard either.
The dual hydraulics are nice and I am going to keep an eye out for a powered blade. In the meantime, I might utilize it for angling the blower chute.

All in all, I'm happy with my decision to go with the 1872. Further down the line, I would like to mod a 54" deck from the 1864 model to fit under this if I can find one in great shape. Unfortunately the newer decks are thinner and rust out like, right now. Design wise, that deck does a fantastic job, much better than the 42" on my 1450, and what I'm expecting from the 50" of the same design that's under it now.

If I come across the rear lift / hitch for a steal, I'll add that as well (although I'm not really concerned about it as I don't foresee it being used often).

One thing I will do, I will paint it IH red with the black stripe as the design of the last IH tractors... 👍😎👍

Latest posts

Back