• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 07, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Kentuck-

The tractor would run right? Then it would stall. The first thing I did was shut the gas off, yank the fuel line, then cut the gas back on and wala! Plenty of flow but no go. It was obviuos that it was consistant bowl emptying. I guess I should have worded it differently. I got this tractor about 6 months ago, went through the carb, checked the tank, fixed the unused, stuck shut-off valve, adjusted the ignition and it ran great all of the time i ran it. So then I parked it and moved to the next one in line.

Between a walbro and a carter which would you choose? Walbro belongs on a weedeater.

I'll soak it out tomorrow, gnat hair and all.

my 128 with the second stalling problem.

either i am not explaining this correctly, or i have a something else wrong that i am not seeing, or i am just to stupid to understand what you guys are trying to tell me.

i am going to post videos of it running with the governor spring at factory setting, and with it in several different holes.
i dont think you guys understand what i am saying about the throttle not working. i will have to show you.

what happens if i put the spring on the worst possible hole? would the tractor run, but the governor not respond properly to a load?
if the answer is yes, then i bet i have the wrong spring.

I think i am going to try a new spring before i do anything else.

Morning guys. I have the ground work all done for the new tractor storage.The 129 loader did a great job and makes me smile when I see what I got done.The base is made up of 2" rock topped off with crushed dust. I then used my laser level and set the 24" block to support the 6"x 6" beams that the shed will rest on.The 3 beams have been placed and are squared . I know wait for the rest of the material to arrive next week . I used my 149 to pull the trailer and the 129 to load the base gravel and the 1512 Diesel with the back blade to get the base close to level.Got a blister from raking lol. I will post a picture later but need some more crusher dust to finish this and make a ramp for the entrance. Hope youall had a good day also.

Charlie did you send me something yet???
Don T
old.gif

frank snerd

If I lived close to you at all I would spend an hr and set that tractor up for you.Its not a hard thing to do. just a few easy steps and your done

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
LOL
The new Cub storage Base completed.
189904.jpg

Wayne - Float needle sticking ? Tank cap vent hole stopped up ?
As for brand of carbs ... if the gas flow is not plugged a vacuum will pull the gas through.

I fought with my 1882 when I got it. It would die then in a couple minutes start back up and die in a couple more.
I pulled the carb and cleaned out a bunch of fine crap, reinstalled and the same thing would start over. I cleaned that carb so many times I was using velcro instead of nuts !
I finally decided to find the problem. It has dual petcocks coming out of the plastic tank that plumb into one line. The petcocks are metal and they looked like they had been in water for years. Maybe from the freakin alcohol/gas they sell in Indiana
There was not more than a needle passage through both of them. So to <u>completely</u> fix my troubles I put on new line / filters / tank / petcocks.
Problem solved.

Donald - Don't you use pressure treated timbers up there ?

Avery. On trying to decide what best to use to avoid flat tires on your Cub Cadet in construction sites... I can't find the picture of the Original Cub Cadets with steel wheels only for your usage I'd recommend the Steel Wheels. After all... 418,000 Mennonite users can't be wrong.

Dang it Charlie.... You had to send that cold air down our way... It is windy and 37* outside. Even the bunny rabbits have their winter Carrharts on.

Kraig M. Do you have any pictures of the steel wheeled Original Cub Cadets? TIA

Wayne S:
Yer gonna put a pumper carb off a 30cc Weedeater on a Kohler???
Frank S:
If you're positive 100% sure the carb has no problem, the ignition is perfect, it isn't running too hot from birds nests and the wind is from the south, then I guess your governor assembly is bad...get the wrenches out.
Jeff B:
Try it and let us know....

No snow yet, wind blowing it all back Northwest towards Minnesota...

Gary B:
I'm sure you'll hear from him soon..........

Marlin - I seen that Cub on steel wheels pic a couple days ago but dang if I can find it now ...
189913.gif

To many to look through !

GERRY I. - The Q-jet was frustrating for everyone I think. GM tried to make it work on everything. GM also "Split" the Q-jet in half, both ways actually. My first new car was a '77 Firebird with 301-V8, nice small block, but with only the two primary barrels of a small Q-jet feeding it it would barely get out of it's own way. Then traded that for an S-10 2WD Blazer w/ 2.8L V6, had a small Q-jet split the other way, single primary and HUGE secondary barrel. Anything beyond just off-idle, say 1200-1400 RPM and that big second barrel tipped in and vacuum dropped and it made a LOT of noise, burned a lot of gas, and still Kids on roller blades & skate boards passed me.

I gave up and traded the Blazer on the 5.0L Mustang and literally "Never Looked Back!"

Actually, I think the Pullers have the Kohler carb figured out, I'd prefer a Mukuni, about a 30-32 MM for a K321/341. Have to be a built engine, no governor, billet flywheel, strong rod & stroker crank.

I predect the "Charlie beating head on wall" icon any time now. I would guess that somthing is on backorder.

Dennis:
Ahhhh the Pure Stockers had 'em figured out
clappy.gif

The problem with stationery engine carbs is that there are no transition circuits or accelerator pumps, so speed or load changes where the throttle plate is opening up always result in a vacuum drop at the venturi - the engine goes lean and bogs if the mixture isn't set a little rich. That's why "governor problems" IMHO are always suspect... We use Mikuni motorcycle carbs on the Cushman scooter engines for that very reason - they have transition circuits that help with fuel flow in the off-idle speed changes....

Gary B: In case you haven't caught on, Charlie (you know, the guy that pays for this forum) owns CCS and if you've been reading lately, has been down with the flu (or something..) . That's why Dennis and I haven't been poofed for our OT posts lately......
poof.gif

I might also add that a long standing (long before Charlie, even) forum rule states in part "If you have an issue with a sponsor or other vendor, DO NOT post it on this site." I feel this applies even to Charlie and CCS's business....

OK. I soaked the carb for a couple of hours, blew it out with carb cleaner, and then blew it out with compressed air. After reinstalled it was a little better but it bogs badly. You have to choke it to keep it running but once running you can push the choke all the way in and it purrs. I took it on a test run down the driveway and in third if you push the clutch in and slow just a little then let off the clutch it will bog down and kill. I'm starting to think govenor now. This is a 12 horse replacement on a 108 (now a 128). Just sitting still if you give it throttle from idle it will bog and die. The gov. spring is in all the right holes.

Gerry-

I'm just saying I wish Kohler just stayed away from walbro alltogether but I'm sure they saved a dollar.

Kentuck-

The gas cap was one of the first things I checked. The float needle seems fine and is new. When I checked the gas flow it was fine and a plenty. I'm also wondering if something is going on with the firing. It can bog from WOT and die. The choke will always bring it back though. There's something going on with the internal flow of gas I suspect.

Wayne -
"Just sitting still if you give it throttle from idle it will bog and die."

That is typical of wrong timing. IF it were a SB Chevy I'd say give the distributor a twist and advance the timing.

If that engine has been rebuilt it could be off a tooth on the timing.

Kid<sub>e</sub> - Go to the Machine Shop and tell the
n00b.gif
to post his question here ... You know that if I do it I'll be branded a GRUMP !

KENtuckyKEN
What/ yep a sb bowtie had a few easy mods I had a 69 Firebird formala 400 . I got a corvet breather dual snorkel and a kn filter and compter cam. Love a little pause(remove the vacume rod to the 4B)and the dash would vibrate for a little and then hold on lol(if with the b n shift inprover you were still on the road when the pause finished ) you had a grin lol.

No More seat time till monday( I have been told)
Then haul some more crusher dust in and smooth it up some. I read here that it pays to have more than one good working tractor.
Cubs are great ,but there just like that potato chip on TV (If I give one to you,I`le have to give one to everybody else) at the artic circle.You just can have just ONE ! Don T
old.gif

Kentuck-

I just went and adjusted the gov arm. It allowed a small bit but didn't improve things. This is a replacement engine with only a few hours from the looks of things. It blows no smoke and I see no evidence of any leaks. I guess I'll check the points now. I haven't got much hair left on my head at this point. I have a good carter that will be the next step.

Wayne Shytle
I use the post setting for the tractor as posted yesterday and then at half wot work the hydro handle ( CLUTCH)and see it it dies or pics up. I will adjust if Nec. works for me. But everything must be cleaned and set.My loader will bring a fog out of the breather and then it works .I have got my cubs working.

By KENtuckyKEN (Kweaver) on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 01:01 pm:

LOL
clappy.gif

Back