• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody know how long IH was located at 180 N. Michigan Ave. in Chicago? I work in that building - on the 17th floor. I might look inside a few ceilings or closets. Ya never know... I believe they moved to 401 N.Michigan in the late 60's.
35279.jpg

Dennis F.

If you burn "Methanol" get you wallet out because 1 gal. is probably 5.00 and you will go thru twice the amont/hr as gas. If you "pickel" the carb after each use corrosion will not be a problem.

JEFF D. - I used to work with a Guy who raced that same class of go-karts. He threw the WHOLE Engine away about every three races!
MATT D. - That $5/gal was about what the methanol pump said last fall when I was buying gas. I know ALL ABOUT the increased consumption of alcohol. International investigated alcohol fueled farm tractors back in the late 70's & early 80's. Biggest problem was hanging enough fuel tanks on them to get decent run time compared to diesel! I sure wouldn't build a "Mow Tractor" that burned the stuff. The 5 quart tank on My 72 w/K-241 only lasts about two hours maximum at normal loads.....If I burned methanol I'd have to hunt the gas can up about every 45 minutes! The fuel pickup on the tank is on the "Uphill" side of the tank when plowing....I have almost a quart of gas left when I "run out" while plowing. The new 8 quart tank the pickup will be on the downhill side!
WYATT - You need more "Fluid"? I have to do another coolant change SOON in My truck! It's getting a new waterpump & fan clutch too. Then the old girl should be good to go to 500,000 miles.

Matt,

"If you burn "Methanol" get you wallet out because 1 gal. is probably 5.00 and you will go thru twice the amont/hr as gas. If you "pickel" the carb after each use corrosion will not be a problem."

The problem here is where you get the numbers. If you purchase methanol or ethanol from a chemical supplier, yes the price is expensive. If you purchase fuel ethanol much of it is imported and the duty is quite high, so again expensive.

If you produce it, it becomes quite cheap, even considering your labor cost. Also ethanol does use more gallons of fuel for the same amount of work, but only if the engine is not retuned for ethanol. An ethanol tuned engine can have the same economy while producing more horsepower.

Or so I have read. There is a lot of information out there, much of it FUD. Seems the big issue is ownership. You can own an oil well and be in control of the market, but you can't own the process of making ethanol. Moving to ethanol means that *anyone* could compete in the fuel industry, not just the owners of the oil wells.

But now I am off track from running a Cub on ethanol. More reading seems to say that the carb, if aluminum will be fine, but if any magnesium is present, it will disintegrate. The rubber parts should be ok if they have been produced in the last ten years. Cork apparently, is terminal in ethanol. Or so I believe. I think I really need to soak a carb to know for certain.

So jetting (bigger), float level(it floats higher), and timing(needs more advance) seem to be the things I need to look into.

I just might give this a try this summer. I can buy plenty of E85 in town to test with. Thanks everyone!

DAve

Mike F. -

Don't know for sure how long they were there, but they were definitely there in 1949...

35291.jpg

I've done some searching thru paper/film documents that we scan and store for the city's Dept. of Buildings.

1976 Cub cadet 1000 K241 10hp 44" deck. Seems to lose power while in the cut while mowing. I have noticed that while mowing it will pull down and sometimes puff a smoke ring out when losing power, like losing power and almost stall out. Have had this mower since 93 and motor was rebuilt in 90. It does not smoke and uses only 4oz-6oz of oil after mowing 2-3 acres. Spindles turn fine, belts seem fine, mule drive seems fine. Plug looked like it was burning way lean. Had white bubbles inside spark areas. Tried adjusting carb. But no clue what i was doing. Looking at carb the right screw I turned out from seat 2 turns, the top screw I turned 2 1/2 turns out from seat. Didnt seem to help and gas would spit out of carb on shut down. I messed with the govenor screw and picked up the rpm that way. Seemed to help some. Any ideas because I'm lost here.

Bryan - fascinating. Based on your document, it looks like they switched to cable type elevators that year for a total cost of $5,500, and that IH owned the building. There are 7 elevators in this building. They're just about done another elevator re-do, complete with Captivate news/ad screens. I think they even have internet access so I can post to the forum from one.

When I owned my F-20, an oldtimer walked up and pulled out a book of serial numbers. This old timer had put my tractor on the dyno in Chicago right off of the line when it was brand new. It would have been great to have been there to hear those beautiful 4 cylinders bogging down on the dyno.

Chicago has a great AG history that has kind of been lost over the years.

John Jones-sounds like you might have some ignition problems.check your points,condenser, and coil.mite just need to put in a new set of points and condenser.the way you described the plug,the ignition timing mite be off...T

We finally completed our move from North Carolina to New Mexico. The 100 made it with no visible scars (like I would notice, or even check thoroughly), and we are enjoying the warm, DRY weather. I didn't even bother putting the deck back on because this is our back yard.
35298.jpg

The trailer is now being used as a storage shed for, well, other stuff that we don't use, don't have room for in the house, but don't want to get rid of.
35299.jpg

And my son who is currently in the middle of his "seperation anxiety" stage of life. Only being close to Daddy and the calming solidness of an IH build Cub Cadet soothes him!
35300.jpg

The house we are renting is brand new and we have few complaints, but the garage could be two or three feet longer. I guess some people only need a garage to "garage" their cars. Not much room for anything else.
Ok, enough cub fun. Time to look for new jobs!

Dennis,
I raced for 3 full seasons ( end of March to end of Oct ) and used the same motor.

Probably had 6 sets of rings ( they would lose tension ) and two pistons.

I don't know why he would go thru motors like that
dizzy.gif

Don,

Where are you in New Mexico? I met my wife in the USAF in Lubbock Texas, both our boys born there. We still consider Texas Home, and New Mexico 'kinda home'. We spent a lot of time in the San De Cristos camping. I think we've been everywhere from Silver City to Raton.

I drove a GMV 1 1/2 ton all over NM-AZ-TX-CO fixing off station aircraft. Lots of pretty country out there. I miss it.

DAve

Hey Dave,

Funny how you and your wife met; my wife and I met in Fort Huachuca, AZ. I was born and raised in Kansas, but fell in love with the Southwestern weather while stationed in AZ. Later I was stationed in North Carolina, where both of our children were born, but had promised myself and my wife that we would move back to the Southwest when I got out.
It is beautiful here, but it can be an acquired taste. We are in Rio Rancho (Rural Albuquerque). The kids love that we have 10-15 hot air balloons floating over the house on the weekends. I still haven't found a good place to get parts for the cub though. Thank goodness for the internet.

(Message edited by ddulac on May 02, 2006)

Ever have those days you would like to shoot your in-laws? My brother-in-law lives with us for a while. I told him last night I was going to mow the grass tonight after work. I get home and he has half the lawn mowed, but it looks terrible and the deck is not cutting right. He comes over and asks how I mow the hills. I told him that I don't mow part of them. Well, I found out why it was cutting so bad. He used the mower deck to round off the top of the one hill. He bent the front of the mower deck back about 30 degrees and my nice Gator blades that I had just sharpened for the first time last weekend, looked like they had been mowing a rock quarry. After getting all the knicks and dings out of the blades, they look like they are 3 years old and have been sharpened 10 times. I did get the front of the 50A deck pounded back close to normal. All this took over an hour to fix because some people just do not have any common sense. I do have a nice bare gravel hill top in my yard now.

Wes - reminds me of the time (years ago) I was taking a nap when my brother in law shows up and decides to install a ceiling fan - an industrial grey thing in our kitchen that was mounted incorrectly and wobbled something awful. I was aghast. Now here was something I had to un-friggin-do. I only let him look at my cub.

Don D., looks like you need a grader blade for your 100, then you can grade your back yard.
happy.gif
Good to hear you made it safely.

Wes, bummer.

WES - I have a hard time keeping Son off the sides of the ditch in front of Our place with My 982....I've explained to Him how those pancake twins don't like running on steep side slopes and why, and that I know the new tires on the 982 hold it to the side hill better but stay the HECK out of the ditch! And that I'll use one of the old single cyl. Kohler powered Cubbies that slide down the slope when it gets too steep as opposed to tipping over.... His response is to NOT mow at all....At least I don't have to buy expensive ONAN parts that way. REAL hard to find decent help!
DON DuLAC - Did You pull the trailer to AZ with the 100?
bubbly.gif

JEFF D. - I don't know what the spec's on the class were but I know He told Me there was about 12 hours of porting time hogging out the ports in each block. He said they put spiral grooves into the ports to increase flow & add swirl in the combustion chamber. The only racing carts I was ever around were 125 cc Yamaha powered non-shifter carts. I thought they were pretty tame actually but then I never drove the thing with My butt an inch off the ground at 70 MPH either and that little engine screaming at 14,000 rpm a couple inches from My head.

Question,
The 3 point hitch on my 124 will work on my 147, yes?

Latest posts

Back