• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoore

displayname
Bruce Moore
Dave G,

Regarding your question on the deck:

There should be a tag on the deck with an identification number. It should be on top of the deck on the left side as you're standing behind the tractor facing the front. I would guess it has a cast iron ended 38" deck since it's on a 100, but as you said, a previous owner could have cobbled anything on it. If you can identify the deck, it will make it a lot easier for anybody to help out. It may be covered in the manual for the tractor, or you may need to get a different manual for the deck.

Colin T:

Snowthrower models available for the 782 are:
(A) The QA42B Snowthrower
(B) The H-42 or H-48 Snowthrower
(C) The 190-450 Snowblower

The price is usually determined by Condition, Type, and how bad you want it. You would probably see prices starting at $100 and upward from there.

Those who responded to my questions about the 1450, thanks. I have another that i hope someone could help me with. I need a picture of the governer and throttle linkage on the outside of the k321. Im having a problem controlling the throttle, please help. I also did the lazy hydro fix. I did take a diferent aproach though. I found if you take of the funky linkage, remove the c clip on the shaft holding the brackets that hold the springs and end caps you dont need to remove the hyro. I silver soldered one 1/16" washer on each end cap instead of welding the bracket to its original shape. put it back together, lazy hydro gone in about 1 hr. give this a try, if you need to do this repair, it works, and its fast and easy. thanks for your help guys, Nick

Chris,

Here is the main link for info I've been reading on fuel stills.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

Pretty interesting, his still is designed for fuel not drinking. The cooker does seem to be the real problem. I'm looking at wood, which I have plenty of, and I am thinking about electric which is quite a bit cheaper around here than gas.

Possibly I should go ask the pullers about running on ethanol?

Thanks,

DAve

Bruce,

Yea, I looked for a tag before I posted and didn't find one. Which surprised me as the deck looks original. The owners manual didn't cover the deck (yep, I got the original owners manual with the tractor, in perfect condition).

The deck would seem to be 38", triangular shaped, with three castings, one to hold each spindle. The rear of the deck has beef up plates welded in where the rear hangers cracked the sheet metal deck. The idler is manualy adjusted, no spring.

Looked for pictures online last night. Looks like this is the one. From what I can tell my deck and my tractor, look just like this. I have the hyraulic lift, same deck, but no lights or fenders. Would anyone know the model number of that deck? Or the part number of left side spindle?

http://www.geocities.com/jluckeycub/100.html

DAve

DAVE G. - The place where I buy My "Gasoline" for My Cubbies also has a couple other pumps for diesel, kerosene, menthanol. I always wanted a alcohol burning Cub..... it burns cool, makes a bit more power IF You can get the compression up which would be difficult in a Kohler. The diecast carb in the Kohler would be a problem since the metal is probably not reisitant to the corrosion the alcohol causes. Plus the pale blue flame from the exhaust is always a nice touch!

Dave, here are some drawings of the 38" deck and spindle. If you let me know which part you need from the drawing(s) I can look up the part for you.

35268.jpg

35269.jpg

Dennis,

"The diecast carb in the Kohler would be a problem since the metal is probably not reisitant to the corrosion the alcohol causes."

Yea, I've kinda wondered about that. I know some older bikes had that problem, the test was to drop the carb into a pail of ethanol and wait a month. Replace all failed gaskets with known ethanol safe ones. If the float failed or the carb began corroding, you had to find a better carb.

I don't have a spare Kohler carb to test at the moment.

Still looking.......

DAve

Thanks Kraig!

I need part #19 and the pulley. It looks like it had been run loose for a long time and the shaft wobbled out the pulley bore. That caused the keyway to start loosening up and everything went downhill from there.

DAve

Dave, part #19 is P/N: IH-473436-R92 "Disc and spindle assy, Blade drive"

The pulley #26 is P/N: IH-473432-R91 "Pulley, Outer"

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info, Roland

can someone expound on the differences on these, and maybe some pictures??

Colin, the QA42B was the earlier version of snowthrower for the 782 it was replaced by the H-42 and H-48 (H is for Haban) FWIW, the 190-450 is quite large and is a 2 stage snow blower.

35272.jpg

Here is a QA42B (actually I think this is a QA36B the QA42B looks the same only slightly wider) please note that the curved links are on upside down in this photo.

35273.jpg

Here is an H-48..

35274.jpg

Here is an exploded view of the 190-450.

DAVE G. - FWIW, the float and main fuel needle & seat in the carb is brass & Viton so it should resisit the corrosion. The fuel bowl is aluminum so I think that would be a problem. I do remember seeing a carb that had soaked in a pail of carb cleaner for several weeks that was returned to it's basic elements... Other than that there's nothing in the Kohler that would prevent running alcohol. My 10 HP Kohler burns about $1/hour in gasoline when mowing...... I remember running gasoline powered tractors pulling 5 bottom plows 40 years ago that burned about the same Dollar amount of gasoline. The diesel's did a bunch better....

Kraig,

Thanks much, I just sent an email to a site sponser with the PNs. I think I'll work from closest to furthest till I find someone who has the parts.

I appreciate it.

DAve

Dennis,

Well, I don't think the cost will bankrupt me, but it sure is an expense I'd rather not have. Right now I fill up 2 five gallon cans and they last me for one lawn cut running the Cub, the Crapsman, and the lawnboy push mower, with enough left to cut an hour the next weekend. Now if it rains and I miss a cut, the grass really grows, and all bets are off.

Besides, I'd like to try it and this is as good an excuse as any. If it works I can burn ethanol in my Exploader, my wood steamer, *and* my tractors.

DAve

Kraig,

man that picture made me think about how long I've been around here.

That pic of my 129 with QA-36B was taken fall of 1999... after a 4th of July trip to Don Vogts place to pick the blower and the hyd. lift parts I needed to install the lift on the 129 up (people sure look at you funny on the interstate with a snow thrower in the truck in July!!!). Time sure moves fast!!!!

(Message edited by sblunier on May 01, 2006)

I picked up a 44a deck from the swap meet last weekend. I cleaned it up repainted the deck. I used graphite paint on the underside so the grass should fly. Today I picked up the gators!

I was not able to get the mule drive for the 44a so I have to use my 48" mule drive. I haven't decided whether to shim the deck hangers or weld ears onto the deck hanger so I could go back to the old deck if needed. I tweaked the pulley mounts to angle the pulleys. Hopefully the side load wont cause any problems.

Any hints or suggestions on fitting the deck?

Terry,

You'll likely have lift issues with a 48" subframe on a 44" deck...the 44" needs the "humpback" design.

Put out the feelers in the wanted section for a 44" hanger, I'm sure the guys who part tractors have plenty of them to part with cheap.

quoted from Dennis Frisk I always wanted a alcohol burning Cub..... it burns cool, makes a bit more power IF You can get the compression up which would be difficult in a Kohler.

I used to race go karts. 5 hp B&S , all stock parts that we ran on alcohol.

We increased the size of the jetting to compensate for the different burning rate. We also had to replace the diaphragm about every third week.

We also turned them to about 6600 rpm.

wave.gif
Jeff

Steve,
Its a delicate balance between lowering the front and putting spacers in the back. I am shooting for the front to be 1/4" lower than the back. Looks like I will still be able to lift the deck of off the ground for clearance when I am not mowing.

I will keep the feelers out for a hump back. I assume that I only need the hump back and the front hooks. I don't need the mule drive front assembly, correct?

Latest posts

Back