• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 30, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Sooo,
Spring is here and I'm finally going to have a loader tractor.
Since I have super sandy ground up here, when it's not FROZEN that is.
And when I sandy, I mean down 3", it's pure white sand at least 5 ft. deep.

I can't decide if I want to go with dual 8.50's or just put 26x12 Titan Tru Powers on.

Any thoughts or ideas from you guys with loader Cubs?

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

Charlie I used super lugs because of there hard compound tread .My tru powers are to soft and would tare up when the 129 spins and the cub will spin easy when trying to pick up a load of soil,rock ect.I have loaded super lugs and a set of 75 lbs weights and IH 25lbs and a weight box with 185 in the box. If I would change this set up I would run 26x12x12 off a super and with the same weight I now use.the 26 size would give a better contact area and with low air pressure(tubes a must)would give great traction.With the sandy soil you have a wide flat contact patch would be best I think. Duals would work on harder soil as there contact patch is smaller and you would probably run 8.5 on it. If you look at what the pullers are using, I think a wide soft flexible tread face would do the best for you.
coffee.gif

CHARLIE - I'd go DUAL 26-12.00 Tru Powers, and load them all up with windshield washer fluid. Sand can be a REAL bugger to get around in. I remember a day I was "Off-Roading" my 50,000# readymix truck thru a forest to a pour site along an Interstate highway. The steep short sandy hills weren't bad when I was loaded but empty it would start "Power-Hopping" about half way up the hills.

KENDELL - HD truck mechanics are the ones to watch for good ideas aren't they!

I "split the difference" when I got my ZIP gun, bought a new CP, the biggest one, seems like it was $60.

DONALD - I'm the same way about SNAP-ON tools. If I made my living with my hand tools I'd have a $25,000 Snap-on roll-around filled with every Snap-on tool made and nothing else. Maybe then I could buy them at reasonable prices, like 50% discount from list. But My Craftsman, Allen, Wright, etc. always get the job done. My oldest "Go-To" set of combination wrenches & 3/8" & 1/2" sockets are about 38 yrs old now. I have broken a couple but it took a LOT of abuse to do it. I do have ONE Snap-on socket. It's a 10 or 12 mm deep well impact socket I found stuck on a rusty bolt on my pickup after it made the second trip to the body shop to get the grill fixed about 6 yrs ago. Have I ever told you guys how much I hate bodyshops? I've been looking for a "Good One" for about 40 yrs!

FRANK C. - Glad you enjoy my On-Topic posts! ;-)

Dennis Frisk

Having good quality tools does make the task much easier. I bought a set of guaranteed Craftsman tools from Sears here in 1976.I have broken a few and the 10 mil always was the socket to break,so I bought SNAP-ON in a few sizes for the most used. I have ground the sides off a socket,I think 5/16 for carb repair and have a few special wrenches that I did bend and relive there thickness .The best tools I have are ratchet wrenches for working on Cubs in tight places,they are great for me with poor hand eye coordination (age and bifocals) . Having air and a full set of deep and shallow air sockets was a big help also.

Frank C
See you Monday about 1 pm. I can`t stay have other things that must be done. I was offered $4500.00 to go to Florida to get 6 boat trailers and bring them back here and that would be a good time for me to get a super Diesel tractor, but my wife don`t think much of me driving that far because I would not stop till I got there.

Well out to my shop to get my 129 loader ready to move some rock and top soil this weekend,if it ever stops raining.

DON - I've made a couple "Special Wrenches" also, like a very shallow 7/16" combination for holding the first nut on the special screws of a CC PTO clutch while I tighten the locknut.

Only thing I haven't found the correct wrench for yet is the small 5/16" NC capscrew, 1/2" hex head, that holds the front of the footrests on a NF CC like a 70/72. Head is on the INSIDE of the frame and very little clearance, especially on the left side with the steering gearbox in the way. Have to get to it from the underside, and the flange on the frame means you can't see it. I haven't tried the "MEDIUM Length" Craftsman sockets yet, but I think they may work.

I bought a "Butterfly 3/8" impact" tool several years ago. I never used it much, and always with "standard" non-impact sockets which I dreaded, something about razor-sharp chrome plating swirling around between my bare fingers bothered Me if the socket broke. I got a couple Craftsman SAE & Metric short 3/8" drive impact socket sets and now I use it ALL the time. It's real handy, instant forward or reverse. Except for the flywheel removal, with that impact and a handful of SAE sockets I can disassemble a Kohler in about 10-12 MINUTES once it's on the engine stand.

The type of tool I'm the hardest on is Screwdrivers. 45+ yrs ago when Hot Rod mag still wrote decent how-to articles they did a series of articles on buying your first "Tool Set". It suggested buying a decent big straight blade screwdriver to use as your scraper, pry bar, chisel, back-scratcher, whatever. I bought a 3/8" x 8" Stanley at their suggestion. It's STILL My best screwdriver! I've bought several Craftsman sets and still have a whole drawer full of worn-out Phillips and broken & bent straight blade screwdrivers. If I can ever catch up to that &@%! tool truck I would consider buying a decent set of Snap-on screwdrivers. I live less than 2 hrs from S-O's home office, I wish they had an "Outlet Store" along I-94. I know you can buy that stuff on-line. I went to college just a few miles from their main offices, old college buddy even went to work for them after graduation.

Local hardware store that went out of business two yrs ago used to sell the whole line of S-K wrenches, sockets, etc. MAN they looked nice, not cheap, I understand they're good too, almost as good as Snap-on.

Lucas, the 122 should have a white fiberglass pan seat with a white vinyl covering with blue edging.

187500.jpg

Dennis Frisk
Snap on used to sell this gift pack back in the 70`s. I would not be able to guess how many screws these have reamoved. If space permits a wrench can be sliped over the shank and help with turning. I`am off to get the parts that were to arrive here thursday.
187503.jpg

Charlie
Ever make it to Cam Ranh Bay? Never saw so many torn up transmissions and busted driveshafts from running in sand. Toss the ag tires and put implement tires on and you can go anywhere.

Charlie:
It must have worked for a little while, which is all most PO desperation mods are for - right?? ( I've still got one mod on my 129 from a PTO fight about 10 years ago..).

Dennis and Don:
S-K Wayne - I've got Dad's 3/4" drive set from the mid 50's and most of the sockets don't even show any wear. My favorite 3/8" drive set is also S-K Wayne, from Christmas 1967. I had a complete set of Bridgeport screwdrivers (handles were rubber covered) from when I worked in a hardware, 1965 time frame, that were the best I ever owned - I own more Craftsman Phillips head toad stabbers than I care to admit to...these days I tend to pick up my Dewalt drill with a screwdriver bit in it and pitch the drywall bit the first time it slips..I DO have lots of Craftsman end wrenches and one of their big combo tool sets for when we travel (when I say big, it covers both metric and SAE in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 drive). I have never found a tool brand that covered everything with tool designs I liked.

Thinking about this got me remembering the Snap-On truck pulling up in back of the Ford garage my dad worked in. The guys would all drop whatever they were working on and head for the truck like a flock of crows. The guy always had something new to show/sell. IIRC, he was the one that brought the first samples of STP (Dad had a little bottle that came from STP with a bearing or something in it that would ooze back and forth through the STP when you tipped the bottle). And the guys always had a running tab with the Snap-On dealer, paying off so much a week..

Gotta quit before Charlie poofs this....

Don, I have a set of Snap-On screw drivers similar to your two, along with some other larger and smaller versions. Hmmm, my Phillips screwdriver like that has "SSDP 42 USA No2" on it, not Canada...
happy.gif
I also have a Snap-On 1/4" drive socket set and nut driver set in a nice red metal case, and four or five needle nose pliers.

Kendell, I love my 18v DeWalt screw gun.
buttrock.gif

We should probably take this to the The Machine Shop forum...

sorry.gif

i dont understand how you guys can put 26x12-12s on tractors and have that much traction. The wider the tire the more its going to float rather than "dig in".

Refering to Jerry H's comment on driveshafts being torn up- I have never seen anything like that happen but i would believe it. A buddy of my put 26x12-12 ags on his 126 and put it in 2nd gear (not pulling anything) then after he started taking off pushed the clutch in, pulled it in 3rd on the go and the tractor stopped right there. The roll pins in the 3 pin driver sheared right off. I am guitly of doing this and im sure there are others that are also (pulling into 3rd on the go) but because of those big tires those pins broke. I put 23x10.50s on my 124 and I wouldnt go any bigger. just my 0.02. Its gonna be in the 70s for the next 3 days...wooohooo

Charlie - At least he didn't use JB on it !

Put those big MUD GEAR 26x12x12 tires I've got on my 1882 on yer loader. They don't spin more than one lug when I'm digging up the driveway with rear blade and front blade !

Jerry H.
Once or twice passing through.

Kendell I.
Still kinda makes ya wonder though! LOL

Kraig,
Nah!

Josh O.
I'm runnin 165 pounds on each side and I dig in this sandy crap really easy, with very little effort.
That's why I was thinking the wider the better, but dual 26-12's would be a little overkill IMO.
187505.jpg

I might have to try and see though.

biggrin.gif

i meant under usual conditions such as plowing and that. I also meant having no more than 50-75 lbs on each side.

Kraig M, I talked to my stepdad and he said hed look to see where that puller is bc he has one like the one you posted somewhere here at home. I was going to just go out and buy a 12p flywheel,cull and grass screen, but does it pay? I could take that stuff off of the original 12 hp in the tractor and replace those parts if i find them later on bc I want this to be done asap so i can cut lawn with a 48' deck.

Josh, if you have a non running K301 engine, I'd say borrow the parts before you buy them.

Charlie, as Jerry mentioned, you might be better off with tires with minimal tread, then, if you spin a tire you don't dig down nearly as fast. I remember the first time I used my parent's JD 5210 4WD loader tractor to do some heavy excavating, it was back in 1997 for an addition on my house, as soon as I stalled the forward motion I sank quick!
icon_eek.gif
I didn't get stuck, but had I not been fast on the clutch I would have been. Ag tires dig holes fast, even in firm soil.

187507.jpg

Latest posts

Back