Archive through March 29, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcardwell

displayname
Wayne Cardwell
fertilizer rig
223166.jpg

223167.jpg

Charlie,

That's really good info, thanks for posting it. Didn't know there was that much to it. Thanks also to Myron & Kraig.

Norm B.
Kraig posted that back on Wednesday, February 17, 2010.
CLICK HERE

Time to take a poke at ya here, ;-P
A quick search for Kind Codes would have found it for ya.
biggrin.gif

All,
Will the steering column from my 147 fit into my 100?

RAY- My .02 it should work. You would probably have to change the steering wheel, other than that i think all of the narrow frames at least were similar in length and size. Give it a whirl!

JEFF-Dont worry, the time on my computer for the posts is off too. Must be a website issue.

Ray, the steering column from the 147 is shorter than the one from a 100. If you use the 147 steering wheel it'll work. It will NOT work with the 100 steering wheel.

Kraig,
Thanks.
Crap, I just sold the steering wheel. . .

OK OK.
So, since the steering column from the 100 is sloppy and steering colum from the 147 is tight, can I rebuild the 100 column with the parts from the 147 column?

Ray, I believe all but the steering shaft should swap over to the 100's column. The 100's steering column might just need to be adjusted... But most likely the bearings and races are toast. Be sure to read up on the various entries in the FAQ and CubFAQ.

Idaho Wayne-

Could you give some details like how you powered the spreader? It's obviously electric but some close up pics would be nice too. It looks like you put a lot of thought and work into this project. Nice job.

NC Wayne

Well my buddy gave me a 1200 Quietline with the original Kohler 12 on it. It had been sitting in his driveway uncovered for at least seven years but he swore it ran fine when he parked it and then his dad moved and gave him him...gasp... a John Deere. Anyway I got it home and opened things up (it was a major acorn storage facility for the resident squirrels). Put in fresh gas, clean oil, cranked it over w/o the sparkplug, restored the ignition system and spark plug and she fired right up. Quite a bit of smoke initially (I expected that after sitting for so long) and she settled down to a smooth idle w/ no smoke. I let her run for 10-15 minutes and took her for a drive around the house toward the pressure washer. Not soon after putting her in gear and letting off the clutch she lost power and started vibrating and bucking around. I immediately shut her down, restarted, again with a smooth idle. As soon as I put her in gear and attempted to drive the same thing happened. Scary vibrations, almost like the timing jumps. Any ideas on why? Could the grenade gears be seizing (no needle bearings in the oil pan)? I'm looking for what troublshooting to do first to minimize the amount of disassembly.

Thanks in advance,

Bob in RI

Actually the Kind Code listing was Myron's doing. If I helped at all it was a minuscule amount.
blush.gif

Is it just my computor or is the posting time off on the server?

Jeff, mine if off as well. Charlie must have forgot to feed the hamsters...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just like the last time, I opened a ticket with my upstream, and they'll have the time sync'd again. I also requested as this is not the first time, that either they give me permission (hopefully) to manage it myself, or they start monitoring more closely the time on systems affecting MY server.

We'll see what resolve they give me long term- short term I have no doubt the time will be corrected any time.

Off to feed the hampsters...

Robert K.
You didn't mention if the engine was making the grumpy noise/vibration or the tractor.

The first thing I would do would be to open the hood, grab the engine with both hands and see if it rocks any. If it does, the ISO mounts are shot.
Next would be check the timing and then on the the drive line.
You can check the drive shaft by taking the tunnel cover off, and the clutch by removing the side panels, if it has them.

Robert Klein -

Sounds like you've got clutch problems. Run yer tractor without the side shields and see what you can find. QLs have a special flexible clutch driver that can crack after a couple decades. Check it out.

Robert...You say "she settled down to a smooth idle" and later "she lost power". I'm assuming when attempting to drive it you were increasing the engine speed. Is this when your problem started? If so, it sounds like your carburator needs to be rebuilt. If it sat for that many years, I'm sure it has some gunk built up in the carb. One of the tiny jets is probably plugged up. It may idle, but can backfire and misfire when throttling up if the carb is dirty.

This may not solve your problem, but rebuilding the carb would be a good thing to do anyway.

Robert,
In addition to the other suggestions, look at the rag joints at the ends of the driveshaft. You may have a rotted one? But it probably is the dreaded "iso-mounts" for the engine....

Latest posts

Back