• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 21, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfuller

displayname
Rob Fuller
Did IH make suitcase weights? How many of you guys run them on there cubs? Is it worth having suitcase weights? Any pics? Also did IH make different styles of rear wheel weights? Any pics of those?

Sorry for all the questions. Don't know much about cubs. But since I got my 149 I want to know about all the accesories that go with it.

I think I got archived. Lets try that again.

53645.jpg

Rob-

Please check the FAQ page at the top of the forum, many of your questions will be answered there. Specifically you may want to check Charlies faq area.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that I have not personally seen any suitcase weights, originally speaking. I wouldn't think that you would really need any for most instances unless you were plowing really heavy ground or lifting a rather heavy, rear lift implemnt. It seems like Midwest super cub has something like that though, IH casted in or something.

Also, original rear weights are tough to find at a reasonable price, unless your doing an origanal restoration where price is less of a factor. Reproductions are avalible for a lesser cost if your just interested in the 'look'. Hope this helps ya.

MWSC use to make the weights with "IH" in them, copyright now makes them do just blank weights. Only 1 style of IH made rear weights.

KEN - There were THREE flavors of IH rear wheel weighs....Red for FARMALL Cubs, white for late Cub Cadets and yellow for early Cub Cadets.
lol.gif

BRIAN B. - Is That a "COLD TOOL" sitting on that fender?
beerchug.gif

And I'm not mentioning ANYTHING about vowels today....

Dennis - I don't think anyone is going to fit a 150 pound Farmall Cub weight on a Cub Cadet wheel. Since we don't talk about the big cubs here I didn't count those and YES I do know that they made them, there are 2 sitting under my work table. They also made inside front weights for the cub tractor that should fit the rear 12" cub wheels but I've not seen any for 33 years, since the set that was on our cub so I can't verify that they would fit.

Kendall I.,
You are correct, I have begun to cut the F/R lever off. I am also one of those guys that doesn't like to destroy original parts unnecessarily, however, I know that the internal splines of the lever are stripped out (as KENtuckyKEN predicted) because it turns on the shaft without moving the shaft. So even if I had fitted it with a larger set screw, the screw would of been the only means of holding the lever in place, not enough in my opinion.

KENtuckyKEN,
Regarding WF vs. NF,,,, a month ago I would have agreed. However, this clean new-to-me 127 that I recently acquired is pretty nice! I guess I'm an owner/operator that's on the fence on that subject!
uhoh.gif

Dennis F.,
Thanks for enlightening me that the zerk is pressed in and turns freely by design. Some time ago I noticed that the steering box zerk on my 129 turned freely yet would seem to 'tighten up'. Because it didn't leak, I didn't worry about it. Glad to hear that is the way it's supposed to be!
thumbsup.gif

Bruce N.,
Thanks for the additional pic of the steering box zerk location.
thumbsup.gif

Fellas,
I've come to realize that the previous owners of my earlier Cubs (125 & 129) must have removed guards & shields and not replaced them. Why do I say that? Well, because this 127 that I'm 'becoming familiar with' must have every guard ever made for it still in place!
jawdrop.gif

For instance, there is no way to see the driveshaft attachment at the engine. At the bottom, there is a solid belly pan screwed to the bottom that bridges the two frame rails. From the hydro side, there is a solid, flat sheet metal guard with a hole in it to allow the driveshaft to pass through it. From the R & L sides and above there is the arched screen guard! I was just glad that I was able to unscrew all the guard attaching screws to remove them as I go!

Regarding my steering box zerk; once I removed the screen guard and the rearward flat plate guard, I was able to see the darn steering box and it's zerk. Then I determined that if I turned the steering all the way to the right hand stop, it moved the lever bolt assembly up & forward (it's a vertical plate type part located on the left side of the steering box, #3 on the diagram) which exposed the steering box grease zerk & I was able to get my grease gun tip up & onto the zerk from under the frame, through the mule linkage. With this knowledge, I now know that I won't need to remove the guards to grease the box in the future - a good thing. I gave the steering box zerk at least 5 pumps of grease, turned the wheel back n' forth, another 5 pumps, more turning until I had over 20 pumps of grease into it before it started to show signs of grease on the vertical inside surface of the lever bolt assembly plate! I'm thinking it was a bit dry inside! As a result, the steering wheel now turns much easier!

Moving to the rear, I removed the flat guard plate above the rearend housing to find a LARGE pile of dirt and old grass sitting on the rearend housing & along the frame rails. I then removed the small-ish curved shield below & in front of the seat to expose the edge of the hydro unit. Surprisingly, it didn't appear to be too caked up with crud there... but it didn't allow me enough access to properly clean the hydro unit off, so it appears that I will need to remove the seat & rear fender assembly to access the entire hydro unit for adequate cleaning & inspection. I can see the fan and it appears to be intact and operative.

Interestingly, the hydro unit filter has an hex nut built into to the top/front of the filter...I wish my replacement filters had this feature! I will undoubtedly be changing the hydro filter and fluid as it appears to have never been changed - since the filter is the same yellow as the hydro unit & I'm not able to see any part number, IH symbol, etc. or any stampings on it.

Sorry for the long-winded post.
talker.gif
yawn.gif

As always, THANKS TO EVERYONE for your help, assistance, guidance, opinions & just letting me share my progress with my new-to-me 127!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Roland,
Weren't there both smooth and indented versions of the hydro levers on the 1x5 through 1x9 series hydrostats? I thought I remembered Hydro Harry showing me the one on his 169 with the (2) indented pockets and then seeing one with a smooth top surface? I know both interchange, just remember seeing both types somewhere. Kenny

Vern, good to hear the narrow front 100 steers good, you must have done a good job on the design!
thumbsup.gif

KENtucky, the Cub Cadet wheel weights ARE Farmall Cub front wheel weights!

Brian B., what material are the light housings made of? Reason why I ask is because I picked up a 125 a few years ago that I parted that someone had added some lights to, here's what one of them looked like. Can you say "Oops!"
happy.gif

53651.jpg

Brian B., here's another home made light setup that worked out better, I don't remember who came up with this design.

53653.jpg

53654.jpg

53655.jpg

53656.jpg

53657.jpg

Kenny W:

According to the Parts Manual, the IH-401388-R3 fits every hydro from the 1x5 through the 1x9 Series. Now initially, they have had their own design, but as a replacement, they all use the above number now. Thus, internally, where the hub slides onto the shaft, that would be all the same.

Kenny, Roland, I did a search of my archived photos and I could not find any photos of a smooth topped hydro lever. All of the photos I found of 1x5 and 1x7 and 1x9 series tractors had the indented handles. Not saying that a smooth handle didn't exist but I don't recall ever seeing one.
dunno.gif
In any case, the handles should be interchangable. However, BTW and/or FWIW, the 123 DOES have a different style handle that will NOT interchange with the 1x5/7/9.

Kraig - They made ANOTHER set of front Cub Tractor weights that are VERY hard to come by. They fit (as I said) inside the front 12" Cub Tractor wheel. They are NOT the same weight as the other style that we use on the rear 12" cubs. If I can find the pic of them that I have I'll post it. They bring up to $1k per set on greedpay.

KENtucky, yes I saw that you wrote "...inside front weights...." would THIS be what you are referring too?

You got it posted b4 I did
happy.gif

We had a set of those on our Cub Tractor that we used with cultivators and rear 150 pounders too.

This is an email from back in Janurary from a guy in London (up the road 20 miles) that knows his Farmall Cub tractor info.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The inside split weights bring $500+ for the pair. They are extremely rare. I've only seen 2 sets in my whole life, and never any on an original cub. Most if not all were on lowboy's with the 105 mower's.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I'm gonna have to find out more about 1979-81 IH made tractors. See exactly what models were made and what they looked like. I know that there were still quietlines, but when did they change models. Well, another quest for my inquisitive nature.

Earl, I believe that the last <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> built Cub Cadet was an 82 series with S/N: 700000, built in June of 1981. If I'm wrong I'm sure Myron will gently correct me.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back