Archive through March 02, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kraig. That FAQ is a wealth of information isn't it.

Kraig-

I have never had a hydro that would maintain constant speed going down a hill like a gear drive will.

KRAIG - Don't act innocent...YOU helped!
lol.gif

CHARLIE - Sorry, but the RULES of this forum prohibit Me from using that kind of language here.
banned1.gif

KENDELL - Sometimes it's nice to be within "Controlled Air space" of an airport with an active Air National Guard Fighter group.
f16.gif

O-Kay....ANYBODY want to talk about Cub Cadets?

BRIAN - Biggest advantage I can give a hydro is when trying to stop going downhill, at least the hydro will try to slow down. Till one tire slips, and starts to rotate backwards and you fly down a steep hill. I'm pretty sure a 149 should have disc brakes on each rear wheel controlled by the clutch pedal, my 129 did. Much better brake system, braking effort doesn't go thru the differential. Either a 100 or 149 should go up ANY possible hill with the right tires and ground conditions. A 149 should be a great mowing tractor. It'll be able to creep around the heavy stuff and fly over the light stuff. Having a hydro & a gear drive means you always have the correct CC for the job.

The only issue I've had with maintaining constant speed with the 129 on hills was when the friction adjustment on the Hydro lever shaft was a little loose...

Been gone for a while this morning, came back, the neighbors said there was a dark cloud over the trailer for a while....hmmmmmmm
whistling.gif

Matt, that wasn't my point. With a gear drive Cub Cadet you HAVE to push in the clutch to downshift or to apply the brakes. There will be a brief moment in either case, down shifting (IF that's even possible) or braking, when you will be coasting. With a Hydro, you simply ease back on the hydro control lever.

Denny,
angel.gif

KRAIG - You are correct, there is a brief break in power between declutching & braking with a GD. Which can induce a tire to slip on wet/slick grass. Same thing applies going uphill but to a lesser degree since weight transfer is in your favor with the drive wheels on the downhill side.

Best not to try to shift gears up or down when ascending/decending hills, and hope the transmission poppets are in good shape so it doesn't shift itself into neutral. I forget exactly where I read it but on many IH tractors equipped with Torque-Amplifiers, the tractors would "Coast" or freewheel in the low side of any gear. I remember reading about someone getting an IH tractor & loaded wagon up to about 50 mph by accident going down a l-o-n-g hill on IL Rt. 150 between the Quad-Cities & Galesburg, IL. One of the three little planet gears for the reduction unit also didn't like being over-speeded like that and made a hasty exit from the clutch housing of the tractor almost splitting it in two.

A hydro will gain speed going downhill and slow up going uphill, both due to slippage in the hydro and the change of engine RPM as load increases or decreases. A GD will also change for the same reasons except there's no slippage in the hydro, so the change will be much less.

GD's are best for long duration pulling like plowing, constant speed operation like spraying & fertilizing. Hydros are better for mowing, blowing snow, tilling. For general yard work like pulling carts & lawn sweepers, either work fine, but a hydro does allow faster ground speeds at reduced engine RPM which may save gas.

KENDELL - Was it a "dark cloud" or a HUGE UFO like in the TV series "V". Probably a BIG red center with a white ring around it?
Shotgun.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
Well i got a big shock today. You know sometimes the mind just goes to town for milk ! or them senior moments lol. Well the wife(Dawn ) arrives home with a box today and says now what did you buy? With a dumb founded look I looked at the name on the box.
thumbsup.gif
That piece for my O you sent will have a place on my O when the refurb is done.I have a few Cub parts here that I have been looking for a person to give forward to. The kindnest will be sent on someday to you also. Thanks again for that.Just goes to prove Cub Cadets bring great people together.
worthy.gif
worthy.gif

186252.jpg

Speaking of Hydros being the best, Hydro Harry made an appearance the other day on Digger's Yahoo Group for Cubs...two rare bird sightings in a week...

Dennis: Is it correct? If so, I'll try again (in advance, sorry Charlie..)

Dennis Frisk

I would like to add here that Cubs work better and safe with wheel weights . I run 25 lbs with the tru-powers and 50 lbs per wheel on turfs. I run 165 lbs on the loader. A tractor with out weights is scary with the trailer on an a load of gravel ect.I do wish I had more weight here cause 5 sets of IH weights and 2 setts of plastics ain`t enuf that per season I will have to move them around the 4 Cubs I use.
bash.gif

DON - I agree with you on wheel weights. 2-3 pair per tractor.

KENDELL - Yes, try it again!

Dennis:
Done - maybe I look like spam to Hotmail.. (maybe that's why the cat looks at me like that - she's always hungry)
1a_scratchhead.gif

The weight issue always catches up with me - our lawn is soft in the summer and the more weight, the more it gets torn up..If I get the 149 done, we'll build a summer tractor and a winter one..Hmmmm don't need much for the winter now, I'll have to see what the park manager thinks about Cubs (they use golf carts for most everything, that and a ZTR), maybe we'll move one south...
bubbly.gif

Don, good to see that the fender support rod made it intact and straight. Would have been a bummer had it been bent like a pretzel.

It is perfect. thanks again. I`ll post a picture after its installed and painted.
worthy.gif
I`am waiting for warmer weather to glass blast more parts on my O. I realy need to buy a BIG blasting booth. I will get it done . I still have the 129 to finish
bash.gif

Dennis, you'd pick a hydro for tilling?
Donnald T, I don't remember if it was on here or not but in the last couple days I saw a picture of someone useing what looked like a tent for a spray booth. Could that work for an indoor blasting cabinet?

Dave Ross
I did give that some thought , but here is high humity and the media plugs at constant 100 psi. here. So a couple of weeks from now will change things for me . I will never get to them all i`am to slow for sure.
clappy.gif

Don, clutter?

Here's a photo of my shed back in 2008 when I was working on my Original refurb.
blush.gif

186257.jpg

I would conside it a honer to shake your had some day.My wife and I are planning a trip all 36 years and will soon do it. She likes the people she works with and won`t retire.I`am changeing a few springs and a plate on my Ram for 342 hp 586 T for the trip and the 5th wheel. Acrost Canada and winter in The Usa and home in the spring.Breakfast and a Cub session is on me. We will be taking y5 on the lap top.no to do list!

Did someone say clutter? Here was part of our barn in May '09:

186259.jpg

And again in August, trying to get things organized before I came back to school:

186260.jpg

Latest posts

Back