Archive through June 29, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddillon

displayname
David Dillon
Hi guys, I had a k161 take to a local machine shop to have a .010 + piston installed, the machinist called and said the bore was at 2.879?? Does this make sense and it would take alot for this .010 piston to fit??? Any ideas gentlemen?

Heh, nah it's OK Kraig. I got it figured out
happy.gif

David-
I think I'd ask him to measure again, and if it's the same measurement, take it to another machine shop. The bore should measure 2.938 IF it had never been overbored.

I don't think Kohler ever made a .060 under service kit
happy.gif

David Dillon:

You have the wrong piston for this engine. Kohler made K-161's with two bore sizes, the early ones had a bore of 2.875. Your engine is about .004 over which is about right for a worn engine, check with your parts supplier for availability of the correct piston

Just read the sad news about Harold S. I have met him and talked with him 3 or 4 times over the last 3 years or so. I got a chance to talk with him quite a bit at the Hotel and at the show last week at Red Power. It is very sad to here that he is gone. It was neat to here that he found the Cub Cadet original that he helped design and was able to show it. Our prayers are with his family.

Jim Chabot

-thanks for the info, this must be my problem, would you have any ideas of where I might be able to find the correct piston or a part number?

David:

I would give give either Ken Updike a call at Carter & Gruenwald or call Scott Madsen at Madsen's Service. There are links to both at the top of the page. Both do mail order and both take credit cards, and their prices are a little better than many of the local dealers.

Digger:

I have been away from the puter for a day or so. Just saw your post for me. Thanks a bunch. Now it is out to the garage to do some serious work.

Weeds are getting out of hand and I need to get the 184 going.

Appreciate it a bunch.

In the weeds are a dozen or so cubs. Don't want to loose them. The rain and broken tractor have caused a jungle to appear in the cub patch.

Jared:

Thanks. I was just curious. Some of the old timers were oil burners or had been converted near the end of their tour of duty. Good to see 261 is original and burning coal.

David D....Kohler had 2 bore sizes in the K161. They used both 2 7/8" OR 2 15/16" bores. Yours appears to be the 2 7/8". You'll only find THAT info in the genuine KOHLER parts book. The Cadet parts book does not list both versions.

Our (mr & mrs Apostle's) sympathies go to the Schramm family. Harold was one of the "guru's" that made this whole Cub Cadet craze possible. We had a chance meeting at the Hinsdale 40th anniversary open house in June of 1999. Our 806 (#501) was on display there and the comments it generated from the retiree's made me proud to call IH MY BRAND! We looked for prototype CC's in EVERY room marked "off limits" and did NOT find any.......

Maybe we can have a 21 Cadet salute at plow day for Harold.

All -- I sent a pack of pictures and "testimonials" to Mary Schramm yesterday. I had a long talk with Harold's brother Fred and he gave me details which go like this . All of this happens in Downers Grove IL.
Thursday from 3-8 PM is the wake. It is at Adams Winterfield and Sullivan 630-968-1000 or www.adamswinterfieldsullivan.com

Services are at 10:00 AM at St. Mary of Gostyn Catholic Church in Downers Grove.

The family requests that no flowers be sent, rather donations to Catholic Charities.

Hello,

Will a front axle off a Cub Cadet 82 series that has the 1" spindles fit on my 108 without any modifications ? My axle is in bad shape and I thought I would replace it with a heavier one if it will fit. Thanks for any information.

Thanks Digger - Could you please let me know what would need to be changed or altered ?

Thank you

Charlie, thanks for the kind words. :eek:)
<font size="-2">BTW, the PDV7 and WFM photo collection CDS are available now.</font>

Charlie, Jeremy, a 782 uses the same axle as a 108, part# 759-3270. Now if you are talking about a 982 that's a different animal it uses part# 759-3271.

However, the 782 uses different spindles than a 108.

Kraig,
I thought it was Travis or Wyatt that was sayin something about having to take a few thousands or so off the sides of the axle where it fits into the mount on the tractor, course I may have dreamed it too, grin

Latest posts

Back