• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 13, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roy N,
Don't need 'em. Eat some Cheerios before useing and you'll be fine.

Tom,

How did you know that I eat Cheerios? And not only on days that I use my Cub Cadet.
You must be psychic.

I think I got it. Thanks guys.

What a PITA! I sure miss the old one.

Wayne, Is it the 86 that has the special crank? Might be worth asking about any of those parts

Note to self: Release tension on Spring Assist before attempting to re-attach mowing deck. (Thought I would never get the deck back on and couldn't figure out why I had to press the hangers down into the eye bolts
bash.gif
.)

Kentucky Ken: Good to see you posting again, sorry about the heart attack. There are a few doctors I would like to punch as well. Your posts have more zip in them than the rest of ours put together.

Marlin: Welcome back. I was wondering how you were making out this weekend while working on my mower decks. Good to know the time off hasn't dampened your spirits.

Everyone: Don't worry, be happy! Life is what you make it.
smile.gif

Hi: Rain let up enough today to remove breather cover off Ol' CCO 4740. I found a quite broken up part that appears to be what would hold the intake valve and spring in place. Is this a single part, and if so, can it be replaced? Additionally, what type of a spring compressor do I need to replace the Valve / Spring retainer. Is there a locking collar to push into the groove on the valve to hold into place? Any guidance / Part Number references would be appreciated. Oh yeah, got the broken bolt out of the block with a Easy (Hard) out. Regards,

Mark

Jeremiah C. and everyone. Thank You for the welcome back. As for dampened spirits... forgive me for these following words. During my "absence", I've picked up some new catch-phrases. As those that truly "know" me always say... "Sometimes Marlin, you come up with some pretty neat sayings. And they ring true."

Due to all the recent diasters, I gave my CARE package to the Red Cross. Thus the reason that I can't care anymore about things.

When one realizes that in He**, everyday is a Monday that doesn't make life any easier.

Great pictures of Cubs and attachments. Keep them coming. Ya'all have a wonderful day. We had a little bigger than quarter size hail briefly about an hour ago. Off to work.

Tom (or anyone else),

So what is the purpose of the two springs on the rear rake/blade? Is it some sort of spring assist that isn't needed with hydro lift CC models? Or perhaps to keep the rake/blade from twisting or bouncing around? I'm using this with a 149.

ROY - I think the springs were used to increase down force on the rear blade/rake. So yes, to keep the blade/rake from bouncing around is correct.

Mark I don't have a picture of the keepers for a valve stem but there are two on each valve. they have a thick and thin ends. the thin end goes toward the head of the valve when you compress the valve useing something that looks like
226298.jpg

put the keepers in and release the clamp, spring pressure holds everything together.

Dave R-

I'm not familiar with this special crank you speak of however the 86 has been repowered with a K241. The seller came down a little on the price (from 5 to 4) after telling me second gear was gone. I'm going to look at it today or tomorrow.

Wayne, I'm not sure it's the 86, I said it hopeing somebody would help my memory out. It may be the 800.

Dave, Wayne, it was the 86 that used the special crank. I seem to recall that it was an extended length for the PTO to clear the front axle.

Anyone here have an 86 that they could post some photos of the PTO area that shows the crank?
dunno.gif

Brandon, good to hear that you have the old bearing off.
greenthumb.gif

Yepper,
Kraig's right. The 86 had a longer crank to move the PTO forward to clear the axle and line up with the mule drive pulleys. The K241 replacement shouldn't be a problem. The 86's are harder to find. $4-500 seems awfully steep missing the original 8 horse thats hard to find and second gear gone. Good luck. Any pics?
happy.gif

Shane, thanks for confirming my recollection.
happy.gif
Now to back up a bit, I believe that Dave was hinting to Wayne that he should ask the seller if the original engine or any pieces of it are still around. If so, they should be included with the 86...

Kraig, never owned one but yes thats what I was getting at.

I think yall have talked me into going asap to see this tractor. I hope he has the 8hp but I think he may have bought it as is. I guess the 8hp must have had a different block configuration than the 10, 12, etc in order to need the special crank. I had a chance at a model 86 last year but the seller had beat it up pretty bad and I just let it go for that reason. He, too, wanted too much $. If the seller backs away from three Franklins I'll probably pass.

Thanks for all of the input.

Dave-

That's a great little valve spring compressor. Mr. Frank C. (the Maine Man) informed me of its existence last year sometime and I got mine from Amazon. I think it was only around $20. Before that I was using an old giant truck compressor that used the cam action. If I remember correctly that little compressor can get the exhaust valve out even with a stud there.

Wayne, 7 and 8 share a block, same as 10, 12 and 14.
The one I stole the picture had 12 dollars on it. I have one real similar it was my dads. In place of the black knob it had a single rod, now it has a nail. Works just fine.

Wayne,
I would see if the original engine is laying around. That would be awesome if it were! There are K181's around, but what makes the 86's motor hard to find is the crank. Other 8 horses would have too short of a crank and the PTO wouldn't line up. An 86 is still a lower production model. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back