• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 09, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben:

Here is a Charging System check out procedure for the Q/L's. This is assuming, that the V/R is properly grounded.

59177.jpg

Terry & Digger,
I have a pan(?) from a older cub that came with some ebay stuff that the sleeve hitch lift arm slots into. That is most of the bracket that you posted. I'll cut it into a 2.5 inch strip and then weld 2 vertical pieces to fabricate the bracket pictured. Good thing, I saw the picture, I didn't know there were those 2 vertical strengthening sections.

On the 147, there are actually 2 welded in nuts on each side of the flat surface, so I could make mine use both. Perhaps that would be strongest?

Got a bit more seat time on the 72 Saturday night. This new engine is AWESOME! The ACR works better than ANY Kohler I've ever had....Starter rolls it over so easy and it starts on the first compression stroke. Dave Kirk's PointsSaver has something to do with that I bet....Hotter spark! Even with the engine loaded with the mower & lawn vacuum with the cart FULL of packed-in grass clippings the engine still had plenty of power for pulling hills & turns and just jumped up in RPM as the load increased when I gave the engine more throttle.
Oh...And anyone building up a large displacement Kohler engine....Definitely spend the $$$$ to have it balanced! Dave Kirk did a GREAT job balancing this engine. It doesn't vibrate near as much as the K241 that it replaced. It's not as smooth as the ONAN in the 982 but it's VERY close! Son & I want to build up the K241 similar to this K321. But maybe not quite as much cam.

Chris B.-

When I ran 10w30 in my 1450 over one summer, it was always in the 90's, and my oil consumption went <u>way</u> up. Like, as in about a half a quart every 3-4 hours. So you're gonna see a increase in oil consumption, most likely.

CHRIS - I'd like to run synthetic in this new engine but the latest grades of oil have very reduced amounts of extreme pressure additives that causes cam lobe & lifter wear on these old flat tappet engines. These additives are zinc & phosphorous if I remember right. Stangely enough diesel engine rated oils, CG-4 & CI-4 and such still have high levels of these two additives. Granted Kohler engines have VERY low valve spring pressure so lobe & lifter wear are very low, but I put 15W-40 Rotella T in this new engine Saturday night. If I can find a synthetic with the correct old API rating I will switch to it. A lot of the high performance forums have been complaining about this for the last year or so. All the new car engines have roller lifters & rocker arms if they even have rocker arms....so no expreme pressure additives required.

Another alternative would be International #1 Low Ash oil from a Case/NH/IH dealer. All those old IHC gas engines had flat tappets also. Dad ran IH #1 30W in His Cubbies and said they ran fine with very little oil consumption.

Dennis - I ran Rotella 5w-40 synthetic last winter. It has the right amount of additives for flat tappet cams. Am a little hesitant about it during the summer, so I chickened out with 30. I'm swithing the IH2444 and the old Explorer to Rotella 15w 40 and like the results.

LYNN - I've given that idea a LOT of serious thought....using 5w-40 Synthetic Rotella. This tractor will mainly get run only when it's cooler out, like in the 50's, & 60's, not hot and never when it's cold.

I run 15W-40 Rotella in all My other old iron, the other Cubbies & the old FARMALL's and My diesel pickup. My old K241 burned about 1/4" of oil after mowing about 6 hours...maybe 4-5 ounces...and that engine has almost 1400 hours on it. Light loads it may use a bit more. And it's had Rotella for the last 11 years, about 700-800 of those 1400 hours.

BC
Do you plan on mounting the Uprights behind the seat. 154, 184 and 185 are a lot longer than the
104, 124, 102, WF, QL & X82...
I have a 184 and know that the hood is nearly as long as my 102 and wider.
Would love to find a loader for my 184. Missed a 185 w/IH loader several years back. Wish I had not snoozed.
Base weight of 154 is 1480, nearly 1000# more than a 102. The loader probably weighs more than the tractor you want to put it on.

Kraig's picture tells the size story the best.

Digger:
I looked, but did't look far enough I recon. I even looked in my TC-157 Parts Book, only covers Late models...and at the local ex-Cub Dealer's parts books.
I use the parts look up a lot. I have a lot of spare parts on the shelves, and sometimes need to identify them. I was using the wrong words. "PTO LEVER"
My last resort was to ask here.

Looking to replace all tires on my 1650, Mainly used to mow grass and push snow on concrete and pavement, suggestions on tread type. Like the looks of the cleated tires on all four but wondering if the turf tire would have better traction with chains on walks and roads in snow. Like to hear from the guys that have tried both tread types.Thanks John

Latest posts

Back