• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 06, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Ryan P.
All you gotta do to get all the part numbers as well as exploded parts diagrams is click the Parts Look up button above.
thumbsup_old.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 135
So, one final question (heehehehehe), what main stream locally available oil would you use in a K301 if for one reason or another, you couldn't get the low ash, high dollar C.C. official oil? What??? this question has been asked before???

David

Ryan,
I don't have a good pic of my 73 rear end. Here is a pic of my 100 though. They are pretty much the same for what you are looking at.
Maybe Kraig can show a pic of a 73.
305104.jpg

Attachments

• 305104.jpg
    305104.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 305104.jpg
    305104.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 176
Oh, I see it now! It was hiding... I now see there are 2 parts #'s associated with each blade, why is this?

Ryan, one part number is the standard blade, the other part number is the "hard surfaced" blade. The hard surface blades are supposed to last longer. They also cost more than the standard blades.

There's actually,
1. Standard
2. Heat treated
3. Hard surface
4. Tungsten carbide
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 135
Charlie, wow, I thought there were only the two variants.
a_blink2.gif

Attachments

• a_blink2.gif
    a_blink2.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 140
Huh, carbide tungsten doesn't strike me as a good material to use on mower blades since it's fairly brittle.

Frank C - hey, 73 is 7hp 3 speed? Yes that is what a Model 73 has but it's not what the 73 designation indicates. Why are you trying to confuse our new member Ryan?

Shultzie - nice rearend on that 100. I see the really rare splined PTO.

Ryan - ok, so no one else posted info on identifying models by series. In your case the Model 73 is part of the 1x6/7 series. First off, 1x6/7 series includes the models 73, 106, 107, 126, 127 and 147. As you can see all the models end with 6 or 7. There was really no way to include 73 using this designation but we just know the 73 was the 7hp unit in the 106/7 series.

And to help with your understanding, the Model 72 (7hp tractor previous to your 73) is part of the 1x4/5 series which includes the models 72, 104, 105, 124, 125.

What Frank was sort of getting at is how the model number breaks down identifying the tractor itself. In your case the first digit 7 indicates 7hp and the 3 is just an updated digit from the previous 7hp model (the 72 as I noted above).

Cub Cadet models built from late 1963 until late 79 had 3 or 4 digit model numbers. The first 2 digits identified the engine hp. The last single digit or 2 digits (in the case of a 4 digit model) identify the transmission drive line. If the last digit or 2 digits are both even numbers the transmission is a manual shift - i.e. Model 106 is 10hp manual shift, and Model 1200 is a 12hp manual shift. If the last digit of a 3 digit model is an odd number then it's a hydrostatic trans - i.e. 169 is 16hp hydrostatic. If the last 2 digits of a 4 digit model start have an odd number 3rd digit then its a hydrostatic trans - i.e. Model 1450 is 14hp with a hydrostatic trans.

The 7hp tractors didn't fit this model numbering system really well except to designate the engine hp. The 70, 71, 72 and 73 all have 7hp engines with manual trans. The 86 and 800 both have 8hp engines with manual trans. IH didn't build a 7hp or 8hp with a hydrostatic trans.

When IH came out with the 82 series in late 1979 they stopped using this model numbering breakdown. We just refer to the 482, 582, 682, 782 and 982 as the 82 series.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't care what Frank says.

Ha, Ha, Harry! My off the wall statement got a nice, in depth response from you!
angel.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 138
  • angel.gif
    angel.gif
    222 bytes · Views: 141
Gol-dern-it Frank - you got me going and I really didn't finish up in helping Ryan.

Ryan - I noted the 1x6/7 includes the Model 73, 106, 107, 126, 127 and 147. This 1x_/_ designation works for most of the IH CC models. After the 1x6/7 is the 1x8/9 which consists of the 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149 and 169. Next came the Quiet Line series which really doesn't use the 1x_/_ designation although you could call it the 1x_ _ /0 series, but since IH referred to it as the Quiet Model in their literature we call it the Quiet Line series.

Ryan P.
They will last about 5 times longer than standard or heat treated blades.
Blades are for grass not rocks, which I have very few of around my place unless I haul'um in, LOL

Thanks for clearing that up Charlie,I though there was only three types. Every weekend I hear the neighbor cutting his rocks.hehe

ROCKS!!!! - I had one sticking out of the ground at my place in Connecticut. For a few years my blades would miss it most of the time. Then it got so it didn't matter where I drove over it the blades would just zing it. I finally got tired of it and decided to dig it up. It stuck out of the ground about 1-1/2" and was about 6" in diameter. I tried to dig down on one side only to discover at about 3" down it started to get bigger around - and bigger and bigger and bigger. I dug all around it down about a foot and found it was about 2 feet in diameter at that point. I kept on digging. I dug down to 3 feet and it seemed to get a little smaller on one side. I dug down about 4 feet half way around it. First I went and got my 1450 and thought maybe I'd use a chain to pull it over. Then I had better sense realizing I'd never keep the chain wrapped around it, so I went and got a steel 6 ft pry bar/lever and was able to pry it over slightly to one side putting it about 1" below level. I filled in the hole, added some grass seed and had no more "zinging" mowing blades. I do suspect it grew up again and is likely giving the current owner a reason to buy new blades every year. The moral of the story is - when it comes to rocks, what you see isn't always what you think it is.

Only Harry would dig up a rock and then bury it back IN THE SAME SPOT!!!!
biggrin.gif
roflol.gif

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 139
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 145
Harry b. You should've drilled a hole into the rock and inserted a couple of Cherry bombs or M80 fircrackers. Sorta like small dynamite.
err.gif

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 140
I like rocks! I would have tried to get more of it visible, then just mow around it.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 143
I am looking to see if they make different length links for deck adjustments. This is on a 1650. There are 2 different holes where the links hook to the lift cradle. Can the other one be used or only the front one? I hope I explained my question good enough. I will try and upload a few pics of what I am talking about when I get home tonight.

Back