• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 28, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Aaron!
When can I order a 42 inch for my Original???
Keep up the good work!

Paul A.
The pics I posted are the prototype that we kinda tested out last night.

Aaron is a sponsor (Xtreme Motorworks) and will have them on his site as soon as a production run is completed.

Or your more than welcome to email or call him anytime.

Same as all our sponsors listed above. The more we buy from them, the more they know that their advertising on the forum is working.

Might be picking up a snowthrower today assuming its a QA42A...

I tried looking at the faq for some info, then a search, but the search would either find a million posts about snowthrowers or nothing at all for a more specific search. Anyhow I am just wondering what things to look out for, tips for getting a good one etc. I have never had one yet, what are the common parts to wear?

And if I did get it, my 129 isnt runnign to well right now, would it work on a GD? I'm not sure about the speed while throwing... I do have a creeper but not installed as of yet.

Tristan, Just like everything you'd buy used, be methodical. Check all the moving parts, turn the pulley and look at that shaft, at first your looking to see if the pulley was ever loose on the shaft then your feeling for how smooth that gearbox works, moving the pulley back and forth will give you idea of idea of how much play the gearbox has. I havent done it in a while but if the play lets the outside of that pulley move more than a half inch, I'd be concerned. The tighter the better. Look at the other shaft on the gearbox and the pto shaft. grab each end and try to twist it in oposite direction to feel for worn U-joints or loose splines that connect the two halves together. Move the QT up and down to make sure the splines are at least not froze. Grease here is good, old grease tells you it's been greesed, new greese tells you he did it before you showed up. The shaft that pto shaft is hooked to is expensive so look at it, granted you can't see a lot without taking it apart. look at the tightener, it's alluminum and will show a groove if the chain was allowed to run to loose, The teeth on the small sprocket that shaft drives should be blunt,not sharp. Same with the sprocket thats on the auger. Turn the chute adjuster by hand it should be free. Look at the feet for wear, same with the wear bar underneath. it can be flipped around, has it been? Turn the auger there shouldn't be any side to side play, roll it all the way around, look at it. The flashing can separate from the center paddles, spot welds break. if it hasn't been allowed to go to long it's an easy fix, if it's allowed to go to long it can genrate spider web cracking in the thin flashing. that can be fixed but it's more involved. Thats all I can think of right now. hope you find a good one, hope you get it cheap.
Your gonna be a lot happier with that creeper installed, Hate to say it but this is one job a hydro shines, if you can get it started.
happy.gif

the qa42's performance on my hydro 147 is purely awesome. i love the control that the hydrostatic transmission allows. find the ground speed where the engine has a good load, but is not overloaded and it will walk through just about anything.

Latest posts

Back