• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 19, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was up at Charlies on staurday - being I only live 45 miles away - and yes, Charlies has got stuff and knows his stuff! And, man you should see his layout and place - pictures dont do it any justice!

Help with the Snow Blade, how do you tell a wide frame blade from a narrow frame? Pictures would be great, I have a chance to buy one although the guy doesn't know what model its from.

Question about the brinly plows. I saw one for sale pretty close to me on craigslist along with a disk. I definately want to get something to plow the garden with but still debating with a tiller. I dont know much about plows and disks but whatever will do the job I will learn.

My question is what does it take to hook up something like the brinly single bottom plow or disc to my CC 129? The plow has a forked piece with 3 holes in top and bottom. The disc just looks like piece with a single hole. And what do these kind of things normally go for? A short while ago a local fellow had a tiller complete with everything and mounting adapter etc, and he wanted $650 or something around there. IDK but for that kind of money I'll keep renting a tiller at HD. But I figure the plows got to be cheaper right? Do they do as good of job? I've got a nice size garden (dont have exact measurments but probably around 15'or20'x50'or 60' or so) and might expand it as well.

Hey kraig, do those brass buttons on that PTO really work better and last longer than the other friction buttons?
drool.gif
bubbly.gif
buttrock.gif

David Dillon (Ddillon), i believe all the 42" blades are the same but the sub frame that mounts the blade is the only difference between a wide or narrow frame tractor. Just the O is a different . later Don T
old.gif

David (ddillon),

The 42" spring trip blade is actually the same if it is used on the narrow frame or wide frame tractor. On the blade itself, where the lift rod goes, is the only part of the blade is different. The one for the wideframe is longer (sticks out the right side) father than the narrow frame does. Also, the subframe will be different between a narrow frame and a wide frame (I think there are at least 3 or 4 different styles depending on the model it is attaching to). The narrow frame and wide frame use a different lift rod. The narrow frame uses a longer rod (I think the narrow frame is ~2" longer)

Scott

TRISTAN - To hook a Brinley plow or disc to a 129 You need the IH 3-point hitch with a Brinley adapter. Look back a few pages and You'll see the parts on pictures posted, or look in the want ads.
A 1 bottom plow wouldn't take very long to plow a garden the size You have, but the ground would not be ready to plant just plowing. The disc would help to break up the large clumps of dirt. Plow when the ground is dry, then let it dry some more for a couple days, then run the disc over it several times and MAYBE it would be reasdy to plant. Depends on type of ground You have. With the Brinley plow You could plow down organic matter, grass clippings or leaves to make the ground till better and make it more fertile but it would take a year or two to make a difference.
The tiller would be able to till a planting ready seedbed without using any other implements, but several passes across Your whole garden would probably be required. Attaching hardware for the tiller is similar as the plow/disc, IH 3-point hitch, plus the gearbox included with the tiller. It does take a while to switch from a mower deck to tilling. Most people make a dedicated TILLING tractor, My DAD did, a real nice 129 as a matter of fact. And it's new owner bought it for the same purpose, for about $580 for tractor AND tiller together.

It's fun to moldboard plow, but if You want to garden, I'd get a tiller, even if it's something You rent from HD.

kraig, put a new kit in the 147 had it off 3 times . talked to the dealer mech that worked on the clutches for years could see any thing wrong.Got to looking at the clutch and it was a brake clutch without the brake. Ordered the other kit with flat springs put it together . Still would not disingage took the clutch off again . Checked the generator pulley drove it on 3/16 in. Put it back on works, can kill the 147 before it slips . Was bottoming out on the basket so it would not disengage. Even put the rattle spring in those buggers sure can run fast.

A few questions if ya all don't mind.
I've finally got an Original with a 38" timed deck and plan to mow my 1/4 acre lot.
First on the list is to totally rebuild the deck as it is rotted out. My fab guy and I have got that area covered. Second, where the K161S (7HP) considered a bit under powered for mowing duty? I'll be mowing thick St. Augustine grass which I hear mows hard. I've never had any problems mowing it with my push mower, so I may have heard wrong. Third how is the timed belt tension adjusted? Fourth where do I get new belts and what are the part numbers?
In summary:
1. Is the engine under powered for mowing duty?
2. How is the timed belt's tension adjusted?
3. What are the part #s for the belts and where can I get them?

Brennan Hoyt (Bhoyt) Here i`am moving some leaves around with my O, i don`t have a issue with power. 2nd gear and 3/4 t and it will cut grass.
113462.jpg

I think cc specialties sells belts i think or can get 1.
Just the best CUB , my O cuts grass and sips fuel.
My .02 Don T
thumbsup_old.gif

the cog belt . the distance between the two spindles have been factory set but belt can be adjusted by removing the 4 cap screws and holding the left spindle bearing housing and rotate the bearing clockwise to tighten in 1/8 in turn as not to over tighten . hope this helps. later Don T

CC Specialties sure seem pretty expensive for a lot of the things I need. ie. belts and all decals.

Brennan H, money WELL SPENT in my opinion. Divide the cost of cub parts over 20-30-40 years of cub duty. Peerdy cheap me thinks!

Brennan H, Its the boxes above that keep this site running and us able to post a question and get an answer. that got to be worth something.
thumbsup_old.gif

Tristan Stewart,
Here is a picture of Brinly sleeve adapter you will need to attach a moldboard plow to your tractor.
113477.jpg

Along with previous post I would get a helper spring ot convert your 129 to hydraulic lift.

Jason D., sorry so long for the reply but yes they have concrete in them. 1/2" plate 9 7/8" diameter, with a 8 3/4" outside diameter 1/2" wall pipe 8 inches long, filled with concrete with a 1/4" thick cap on them with some junk welded on them to stick in the cement, and you have wheel weights that weigh 70 pounds each. WOW, what a difference. BTW, they weren't a lot of fun to install but I'm glad there on. Nick

Brennan...Have ya ever seen what parts for a Leapin Sheep cost ?
yikes.gif

Speakin of Leapin Sheep....it feels so good cutting them apart to fix something else
roflol.gif
Made an sg bracket last night. The PO's cob fell apart and shredded a belt so had to do something. I have parts to send out to get the right parts and my wife most graciously re-appropriated my CubStash...again. Anyone else have that goin on ? Must have been the fine print that I didn't read says they can do that.
Anyways, it's still not right but it works and it's stable.

Denny, all 3 PTOs on the work bench and the one on the older K301 and the clean one pictured below have the ring in the clutch, must just be the ring in the bearings that some have and some don't have.
blush.gif

Steve B., I didn't check the PTO clutch on Killer for a broken spring tab yet, too much work getting into the horse trailer just for a quick look. I'll check next time I use the Cub.

Jim L., disengaging isn't the problem with my PTO, that's the problem James M. has. My problem rebuilt PTO clutch is slipping. Thanks for the input though, something to watch out for and perhaps that's whats up with James M's PTO.
dunno.gif

Timothy, I haven't had the brass PTO button on long enough to know if it lasts longer. Sure looks nice though.
buttrock.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

David D., here's two versions.

First up is the Quick Attach narrow Frame version. Note the inward pointing QA studs:

113483.jpg

Next we have a photo and a drawing of the wide frame version. Note the outward facing QA Studs:

113484.jpg

113485.jpg

There are other versions of the blade subframe, the bolt-on narrow frame version and the Original "sleigh" version.

Latest posts

Back