• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 19, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdortch

displayname
Kenneth Dortch
Art - Thank you for the response. I'll agree with you that it's not a great way of a PTO engagement but unfortunately this is the engagement set-up on a 149. Is there a way to remedy the turning of the pin within the lever itself or does it take a new sleeve (part #6) to stop this issue?

113409.gif

Kenneth

Steve, that might be what is happening for James, that's very good info to have though, something to be on the lookout for. My PTO was just barely engaging without an attachment installed. With the engine off I could rotate it by hand when it was disengaged so it was just barely catching. After an hour or so of running to adjust the throttle cable/governor settings (remember those series of my posts?) the PTO was no longer engaging when it was not supposed to. My PTO symptom is that it's slipping. I've checked the engagement lever and it is not preventing the PTO from fully engaging. I must have goofed when I did the PTO adjustments, maybe I didn't get one of the jam nuts tight enough.
dunno.gif
bash.gif

Kraig,

Check for broken taps on the spring ears...have had that happen too.....

Steve I thought I tried that. Also tried adjusting the rod so that I had just a small gap when the clutch was ingaged.
I have pulled it apart (I could hear those little rattle springs laughing knowing they were going to get another shot at me). The bearing on the shaft is ok not pushed back. Could I have tightened the nuts to much when I adjusted with the gauge? It appears that I should seat the clutch as far as it will go which is what I did the first time. It's got to be something stupid it always is!

No broken fingers on the clutch. I just compared my model 70 PTO clutch with my 125 and on the 70 the friction disk lugs are just deep enought that they are inside the cups. When I seated the 125 clutch the friction disk lugs were in further. Maybe I should just tap the clutch on until the lugs are just inside the cups?

JAMES - Check each finger of the triangular spring with the gauge again, use two wrenches, one on both the nuts when making adjustments. Reinstall the clutch and all six setscrews. Make the clutch adjustment with the turnbuckle in the linkage until Your clutch releases, Don't worry about the air gap between thrust button and center pin on Your clutch until the friction plate gets worn in a bit.
There's a retaining ring inside the bore of the clutch/pulley that prevents the pulley from going too far onto the bearing isn't there?

You may want to start & warm up Your Cubbie before You install everything to drive Your blower so the engine starts easier so You can get out and move that foot of snow. After blowing snow for a while that friction plate will be well broken in.

is there a replacement gas cap with fuel gauge that fits the stock tank on my 107? the cap thats on mine has a crack on side,plastic one. dont think it is original,doesnt matter for my use. so thought I'd look for one with gauge in it.

JAMES - The clutch/pulley has to go onto the pilot bearing until that retaining ring in the pulley ID is against the outer bearing race. And the pointed set screws that go in the three holes first trap the pulley/clutch onto the outer race of the bearing.

I wouldn't worry about where the friction disc runs in the fluted drive cup, That's more of a function of where the starter/generator pulley is set compared to the pilot bearing.

As long as Your pilot bearing is flush or close to it with the end of the crankshaft, and the pulley/clutch assembly is assembled so the setscrews protrude into the round bore enough to hold the pulley onto the outer race of the bearing, and Your reasonably close on the adjustment of the three clutch fingers Your clutch should work.

I probably haven't built as many of these things (only 15-20) as some people here have, but I've never had one not work afterwards.

Steve, thanks I'll check the spring tabs tonight. FWIW, the center button, spring and fiber disc were all new. As was the bearing.

113411.jpg

HARRY - Yes, I think there is a gas cap gas gauge still available. I had one and they're an excellant gas cap and a terrible gas gauge. If they still have a cork float that slides up and down it will split in two and not work as a gauge but still be a fine gas cap.

About all the gauge will tell You is IF You have some gas still in the tank. The deeper tanks like a later 582/682/782/982 has they work much better.

Denny, AFAIK, not all the PTO bearings gave that snap ring in them. At least one of my Cubs didn't have the ring on the PTO bearing.

Here's the ugly PTO that'll be going on Killer, unless I can easily figure out what's causing the rebuilt PTO to slip. And yes there are no anti rattle spring in either PTO, they never seem to stay in anyway so I didn't put them in with the rebuilt PTO.

113413.jpg

myron the engine has the k241a tags an the specs on there and theere are also the 10 hp stickers the sn on the tractor says its a 73

Harry M,

Perhaps the gas gauge/gas cap used on the Quietline models would fit your gas tank and work on your 107.

KRAIG - The ring I'm thinking of is in the bore of the pulley, not on the outer race of the bearing. If You look at the picture of Your current clutch/pulley on Killer You can just see the ring. I know years ago We discussed getting cheaper PTO clutch bearings and someone found the bearings cheaper with the ring because it was "Standard" than without the ring.

Been several years since I had one apart....about 4-5 yrs. since I put one on My lawn-vac to engage the blower. LOT safer than the belt tightener I had on there before. Really for as simple as they are they hold up REALLY well. The clutch on My 72 got "recycled" when I installed the new engine. Sat on the bench for a couple days and reinstalled as removed.
I suppose I better check the parts look-up and make sure. Yep, Assembly # is 546775-R92, and the ring is item #11, pt # 473475-R1, goes IN the pulley, not ON the bearing.

ANDREW - How many head bolts or studs on Your engine? K241 has nine, K161/181 has seven.

Denny, oh, that ring.
blush.gif
IIRC, some of my PTOs have it some don't. I'll have to have a look this evening, I think I have 3 or 4 PTOs setting on my work bench.

KRAIG - You must have as many CC parts as Charlie or Wyatt!
lol.gif

Denny, I doubt anyone has as many Cub parts as Charlie! I've never seen Wyatt's stash of Cub parts, so I can't comment on his stash. I think Art might have more Cub parts then I do. I think it's just that I have several Cubs taken apart right now.
happy.gif

Charlie paid WAY too many visit's to Travis' "Free Parts Day" events. I know I could tell when He paid visits to My normal CC parts dealer. I never saw everything Wyatt had either. He left quite a bit of stuff in IA when He moved to WI. And I think He still has it there. Hopefuly We can talk Him into coming to Travis's PD this April. I get e-mails from Him occasionally but He's busy at His work. I bet it's been maybe 4 yrs since I've seen Him, at Travis's last PD I went to.

Talking about Charlie...anyone hear from him lately? Maybe we gotta send a dog sled up his way! I know he anticipated snow in his new diggs, but maybe the last blast buried him in 10ft drifts.
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back