• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 15, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
so does anyone know when and what parts started changing in qaulity after IH sold the cub

Paul Bell
Can you help me with this tractor I have here . Its a yellow and white 1512D and the id tag says Cub Cadet Cleveland Ohio 44136 spec 146882100 and 2050606u753508. I would like some infomation on this Tractor and can`t seem to find out much as to year built(1986 ?). I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I have a need to know. Thanks so much Don T
You could email me with the info .
what I found that the 2050606 was CCC made for IH 782D

All: Please read Paul Bell's post about early CCC history...It's accurate.

Jeff B: Parts?? I worked a parts counter for a Cub Cadet dealer in the 1999-2002 period and continue to handle those parts today. Parts for the IH Cub Cadets, in general, did not show any reduction in quality of replacement parts, as best I could tell, then or now...

Now if you are referring to lighter frames, aluminum rear ends (began in '82), plastic hoods, etc., then most of that seemed to begin in the late 80's, as CCC phased out the models based on the IH designed 82 series.

Myron B

Josh go with something with a QT, you'll never regret it.
Had an oddball deal happen with parts last week, replaced the wheel bearings on a cub and got two different bags, two cub cadet and two MTD. everything had the same part numbers but the MTD marked bearings were different. They fit the axle fine but I think the mtd's were looser in the wheel. the flat portion on the bearing where the washer rides wasn't flat it had a protruding ring that stuck out 1/8 or 3/16. Just a heads up.

Donald T: There is no such model as a 1512D. There is a CCC Model 1512, which has a D-600B Kubota Diesel engine.

CCC Serial numbers for all models 747,225 - 456,229 were manufactured in 1986 according to CCC production records.

Myron B

Myron,
Don has a 1512. He is calling it a 1512D because it is a diesel and alot of people add the "D" to the end to denote diesel. I have a 1772 and call it a 1772D all the time. Just a preference of some of us "smoker heads", LOL.
Later all.

I did not want to ruffel any feathers. Everyday I do sommething to my tractors, five day week and love it. Since I was forced into retirement the tractors keep me active.The brain don`t stop the wife says nothing cause I`am home lol.

my 125 is on topic.
184185.jpg

it needs a sleve and a std. piston , cank was trued and rod is new guides and valves are new so this engine and the D and painting my O. this will keep me out of trouble till spring and then its SEAT TIME lol later Don T
old.gif

Josh S: Just because lots of folks are wrong doesn't make it right. In Cub Cadet terminology, only the IH 782D had that "D" in the model number. You are either correct or you are not.

PS: I own a 782D.

Myron B

Dave not sure about Myron but I usually sit on my Original... Yeah I know; "don't give up your day job."
184187.gif

Dave R: Given that the first Cub Cadet had no model number, and that the IH manuals normally refer to it as the International Cub Cadet, the term "Original Model" (which it was/is) in lieu of a Model Number is as good as any... and like Kraig, I also usually sit, rather than stand, when operating either of my running Original Models.

Myron B

Paul-
Thanks for setting us straight on the CCC/<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> history. I thought I'd had it correct in my head, but it looks as though I need to "hit the books" a bit more.
happy.gif

Don-
I'm beginning to think that you just post all of these "progress" photos to spite all of us working-stiffs. LOL!
clappy.gif

Does anyone have any history explaining this "tag" on the front axle of my 149? I think it's interesting how the screw heads came out in the casting. I wonder what they used to make the molds.

Anyone?

184190.jpg

WAYNE - That's the casting "Date Stamp" of when the mold was made & poured. It was changed every day on high running castings like that so the screws held the metal tag to the pattern.

Since all IH's castings had machining after pouring and before use that date give a rather close idea as to the time the tractor was assembled but no where near exact.

All of IH's foundries were iron sand foundries. And IH had a L-O-T of foundries, LVL, Memphis, Indy, Waukesha, WI., even FARMALL in Rock Island had one.

Thanks Dennis-

I learn more about these machines every day.

Dennis F Did IH have a foundry at Canton, IL, I recall haulin', I think plows or tillage out of there in early 70's.The memory is slight,but driving truck thru middle of town Square was tight, has stuck. I also picked up IH Cub Cadets @ West Chicago Distribution Center. Is my memory accurate ? Correct me & fill in any other info U can recall!

Canton was the old P&O Plow works, and was a mainstay of the IH tillage production effort. They had a reputation for Just In Time service.....Dad mentioned loading/hauling plows off of their shipping dock with red paint still dripping off parts!!!!!!

PAUL - About everything Canton made was steel. Like You said, it was the old P&O Plow Works IH bought. Friend I worked at FARMALL with and also drove O-t-R with worked at Canton in Production scheduling for many many years, His Dad was Captain of the Plant Guard, so like many families at all the IH plants, it was a Family affair.

They had "Steam Hammers" at Canton, which are normally used to make forgings, so very possibly they made forgings for plows & other equipment. They look like castings unless You know how to look for the parting lines from the tooling. When I was dealing with the Canton plant in '79 the steam hammers were hardly used anymore. By then IH's BIG forge shop was in LVL. The biggest foundry at that time was also LVL, any castings Canton would have needed would have come from there, unless the needed Ductile or Nodular iron, that would have come from Waukesha.

But Canton did do a LOT of heavy metal bending. They made the side rails for the FARMALL's, then eventually the 3-point draft arms, they cut & bent the entire front frame for the 2+2's, and eventually welded the whole assembly for FARMALL. They also made the cab steps & battery boxes for Farmall. Most of that work transferred to Canton from E.Moline. E.Moline was having a terrible time getting ANY parts for themselves or other IH plants. I guess the Axial Flow combine released in '78 was too successful!

When I was dealing with them several times a day they would ship two or three 45,000# truck loads of parts daily just to FARMALL alone, and probably that much to E.Moline & LVL.

My Buddy told Me that the Canton plant had a steel dock & storage yard outside of Canton on the ILL River. They'd get steel on barges from WIS. Steel. The yard covered 40 acres with enough steel You could walk the entire yard and never have to touch the ground, just walk from bundle-to-bundle on the steel.

Wife & I did a Sunday drive to Canton in early '79 when I was dealing with Canton all the time. Downtown Canton was kinda cute & homey, the little central city square park with the IH plant across the street to the south. Place mostly burned down years ago but they haven't torn the rest of it down last I heard. There was an article about it in RPM 4-5 yrs ago.

Back in about '82 or '83 I made a delivery to an IH parts depot in West Chicago. I don't know if that was also their distribution Center also or not. About all I remember it was BIG. But IH's BIG parts warehouse was in Broadview, IL, just off 17th Street. It's a strip mall now, right across the street from a machine shop I dealt with at my last employer.

IH also had their own printing shop in West Chicago to print operators manuals, service manuals, & parts books. I ordered those also, and was able to get "SAMPLE Copies" of other manuals "As Required" And to keep this on topic, some of them were Cub Cadet related! ;-)

Back