• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 10, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will Cub Cadet paint work with the fiberglass dash on my 169? Should I use a primer first? Thanks

hello all! I was wondering if anyone had any pics of a good weight bracket to put on the back end of a 124? I thought of using weight lifting weights...looking for a something easy and clever....
help.gif

Brennan H,
I can't answer the first question, but here's a stab at 2 and 3.
Regarding the quantity of powder, I'd ask the guy who's doing it for you. He should have a better answer than anybody on here, since he's used to his equipment and setup. For color, couldn't he match the original paint codes, or samples?
Regarding rubber and other parts deteriorating during baking: If you are sure you'll have to replace it, why not take it off before starting the powdercoating? I'd have everything apart in individual pieces if I was powdercoating it, then put it together with fresh/new/coated fasteners and new gaskets, seals, etc. That way, the coating covers everything it's supposed to, with no bare spots from hiding under old stuff. I'd also mask tapped holes and parts that shouldn't be coated, like keeping good bare spots for anyplace you'll need a battery ground.
JMO

<font color="119911">david, I did paint my fiberglass dash panel on my 147. I lightly wet sanded it with 600 grit first. Dont sand too much, just enough to knock the glaze off, or you'll start getting down to a "powder". Then I primered and let it sit for a week. Then I painted it. So far it hasent peeled off and it turned out OK.
coffee.gif
ihrotate.gif
wave.gif
</font>

Art- Love neon signs....but not that much! Some one is smokin' some good stuff.
jawdrop.gif

Wayne-

Thanks for the insight. The probem is the regulator will not stay at a correct level of output when the lights are on. I've gone throught the basics like grounds, batteries, terminals and even a new generator (old one had a bad starter winding). It's no problem to get it to run consistantly without the lights but with the lights it's 'no deal'. I should mention that even with out lights it's not fun getting to that 13v threashold but doable. I definately agree that the 'old harness' is a big suspect. This one has been hacked on by a butcher for sure and I have no doubt that it's working against me. I have wanted to buy a new harness for a few years now but as of late my job situation says 'no', between that and this tractor needs to be broke down and repainted to keep the rust at bay. You don't think my dash tower about ready to crack completely in half has anything to do with a bad ground do ya?
clappy.gif
I've done a lot to this tractor but it needs a whole lot more.
err.gif

DAVID G. - Yep, like Tim says, scuff the fiberglass wit fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, wipe with a tach cloth, prime & paint with the same paint You use on the rest of the tractor. I gave My old 129 a rattle-can paint job in about 1990 or '91, that fiberglass cowl was in TERRIBLE shape, had to rebuild most of it with a fiberglass boat repair kit with resin & fiberglass cloth. I painted it with IH spray cans and it still looked fine when I sold it the summer of '06.

BRENNAN H. - re: powder coating a CC, CC yellow, IH paint code 483 or 483B is their version of Federal Yellow, the different shades of white are IH's own. When I got My Eastwood P/C system 3 yrs ago I looked for IH/CC yellow and white with no success. There's a couple places that advertise "Cub Cadet Yellow" but I've never seen anything coated with it in person. I tried calling Eastwood's P/C Hotline a couple times, waited on "Hold" for a half hour and then left a message and they never called back....tried sending e-mails and got no reply.
If You want a great looking durable paint job I'd use automotive paint with hardener, or Base coat/Clear coat. Maybe not as durable as P/C but 80-90% as durable and the colors would be right and gloss would last almost forever. You could do all the prep work yourself, amybe even apply it yourself.

Well our "big" storm turned to rain so we only had maybe 3 inches. I still went around and plowed my property and the neighbors closest to me. All the parts / pieces and labor were sure worth every penny! She pushes like a pro wrestler! Even the sloppy mush we had was no problem.

Art. You think they'd be insulted if I bid 2 bucks?? :cool:

hello guys we got about 6 inches here my o has a sticky vavle i took the plug out an pured marvel oil in the an that cured the problem it took care of the snow no problem it runs good

I think I am going to not powder coat and just paint. Where is the best place to buy the paint? Do they sell it in the Rattle Can?
Link?

(bhoyt), they do sell it in raddle can, infact thats what im doing right now, tractor supply sells it as Cub cadet yellow, 5339-25, mine looks really good! cant remember what they call the white, but they got that to!

In fact i just finished that can off!... i think they look pretty good!
113040.jpg

113041.jpg

But now i have a question, would the gas tank do better with or without primer, the ones i just did dont have primer.

Matt S.-

You should use primer. Every tractor I've ever had that a previous owner painted, either over the original paint or on bare metal, the paint was falling off.

Anyone have any info on the "Northeastern Cab Company" out of Worcester, MA? I have the roof, windshield and rear supports for a cab made by this company. The vinyl snap on doors are missing and I'm lookin to make my own. Pictues or diagrams of some of their models would be nice.

Bruce

well i was more concened about the heat, mine is a K-321 with the K-301 flywheel and housing, it gets really hot! and i know the paint is heat proof, the primer i dont know, it doesnt say anything about it on the can.

Matt S.-

Your paint is probably no more "heat proof" than your primer. BTW, that yellow will discolor on the cooling fins anyway, and your sheetmetal shouldn't get hot enough to screw up the paint. Primer is necessary for the paint to stick to the metal.

ok well thanks i didnt do my block yet, but those were the last to sheet metal parts for the motor... and the only ones i didnt use primer on, they are small enough that if they flake i can take em off and re do em!
Im primering my seat and air cleaner cover right now, Oh and (bhoyt) i remembered what they call the IH white, it is called IH beige and they got it all at TSC!

Anyone know where to find new front tires that came originally for a 100.

Thanks in advance

thanks for asking Lewis, because i have no idea where to find em and i keep foregetting to ask myself! i havent managed to find the rear tires either.... (actually where does everyone get those nice deep tri-ribs for the front???)

Mat and Lewis

Go to the top of the page and click on some of the business cards. you may find what you want.

Back