• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myron Bounds
Sir I see you have a 782D in your profile and I need your help! where do you fill the rear end with no fill plug like my 149 with the cast case. I hope I don`t have to fill through the dipstick hole as it will be a slow job. Thanks Don T

Don-

Yep, you've gotta fill through the dipstick tube on the aluminum rears. Get a funnel and a piece of tubing that fits down into the dipstick tube loosely so the rear can breathe while you're filling it, and it won't be too bad.

Thanks Matt
I`ll have to go to town and get a smaller funnel lol , and pour some fluid out of this 5 gal can . this could take some time to get this full. I want to test fit the drive shaft today. Thanks again
later Don T

Donald T: Matt G just gave you the correct information. It's a PITA, but that's how it's done... The trick to it is that air vent tube. and pour slowly.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron B, please excuse my being new and not as knowledgeable as you. I have the original GSS-1464 W/Revision 2 manual dated Sept 1972 and nowhere does it explain the electric PTO is only for the 1000 and up series. So my question remains unanswered, can I convert to the electric PTO?

Do all respondents on this board this put down new folks? If yes I will certainly go elsewhere.

Norm P

Norm, Myron's ex military and old enough he forgets we ain't in his squad here. He may have a point cause he's answered your question twice. You may want an electric clutch but it never came that way and I'm not sure it'd work with the mule drives if you did buy the entire clutch.
(NOT CHEAP)

NORM P. - I agree with Myron, keep the manual PTO on your 129.

STEVE B. - Wish my snow blade had power angle. It had four BIG pieces of angle iron welded onto the back of the moldboard and pins to the loader lift arms with the bucket's 1" dia. pins. To angle it would require moving the blade W-A-Y out frt of the lift arms and the tractor/loader/blade are plenty long enough already for the areas I clear. Nice thing about a blade on a loader is making HUGE piles of snow is REAL easy. Super H, loader & blade piles 6-7 ft tall are easy, and with the M, loader & snow bucket I used to make 8-10 ft tall piles when I was a Kid. The Stan-Hoist loader on the M lifts quite a bit higher than the loader on the SH.

BRIAN M. - Yes, a standard composition head gasket should work on your CC. The soft copper head gaskets are used to bump compression that last little bit for pulling. The oil you mention is the copper gasket leaking compression. Check both the head & block deck for flatness. Torque the new gasket per Kohler's spec's, run the engine and re-torque and things should be O-K. You don't mention what's been done to the engine for pulling but I doubt You'll be able to tell much difference in performance between the leaking copper gasket & properly sealed composition gasket.

Norm-

It would probably not be all that easy to change it to an electric PTO. The starter/generator is run by a pulley on the crankshaft, which would no longer fit if you put an electric clutch on it, so you'll have no way to start the engine or charge the battery. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are not the necessary tapped holes in the block to mount the coil, plus, you'd have to add wiring and a rather expensive switch. It's really not worth the trouble. You can rebuild the mechanical PTO clutch and be all set for another 35 years.

Lets nip this in the bud right now and then we'll forget it and get back to our regularly scheduled program.

NORM!
Put down new folks?
Myron did in no way put you down, he stated was was fact, nothin more, nothing less.
clappy.gif

Like a good friend of mine always says.
It's just a freakin garden tractor for god sake!

We've made great strides on the forum in the last few years NOT to talk down to anyone or say that there's a dumb question.
Lets NOT backslide and lets keep things on a POSITIVE note from here on out.
thumbsup.gif

And no we don't need 40 post as follow ups to my comments, please and thank you.
drool.gif

Norm,
You CAN'T put an electric PTO on a 129 engine!
It's not designed or made for one.

Kraig, Thanks for the advice. The deck came off of one of the what I believe to be the Quiet line series. My son got the deck hanger and mule drive for the the wide frame tractor with the deck. So at least I have the "humpback" hanger to start. I have a couple of the narrow frame quick attach mule drives in the shop. So I guess we will start the "modification process" in the coming weeks. I appreciate any other advice you can give on this project as well. Tom

Back