• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys just want to ask if two small cylinders (hyd) would work better than one. A smaller size piston should make the blade move faster lock to lock. I have saw other plows set up that way and I`am going to look at it for sure. Later Don T

Thomas B., it is possible but not without some modifications and mixing and matching parts. You'll need a humpback mower deck sub-frame which were only made to fit wide frame Cubs, so you'll need to adapt a narrow frame mule drive to it. You'll want to make sure that the mower deck has the 3/8" drive pulley not the 5/8" drive pulley as used on the 82 series. Here's a photo of a 122 that John Lang had that had either a 44" or 50" deck under it.

183781.jpg

Brandon - that's why I suggested continuing to use the blade pivot lock (driven by a car door solenoid). In addition to taking the pressure off the actuator, it would allow using a short actuator with the clevis end close to the pivot point, so it'd take less actuator movement to pivot the blade.. BTW - look at the Chinese made 12 volt power scissor jacks (HF was selling them) as a possible low cost actuator...

I conned the neighbor into running my camera this morning.. First a couple for our southern members that don't know what running a snow thrower looks like from the driver's seat ..
183790.jpg

183791.jpg

Here's the 129 working..
183792.jpg

183793.jpg

183794.jpg

183795.jpg

183796.jpg

Kendell-

This "southern member" really appreciates all of the pics. That must be awesome to drive around throwing snow left and right. You ought to increase the shutter speed for those front shots. It would be something to be able to freeze the auger with snow flying everywhere. It's bad enough to have to deal with the cold and even worse not having any cub time. I would get a thrower if we had any snow at all but...

Thanks again and keep them coming! Wayne

Don T,

Most likely the blades you've seen with dual cylinders were set up that way because the mounting geometry caused a single cylinder to have a mechanical disadvantage at one end of stroke and they used two opposing cylinders to correct the problem. IMO, you're better off designing it correctly from the start and using a single cylinder. Adding the second cylinder means adding 2 Tees and at least 2 more hoses. That's a net of at least 4 more connections to leak.

Assuming that by two smaller cylinders you mean 2 cylinders with the half the cross-sectional area (not to be confused with half the bore diameter) and the same stroke as the one cylinder, or 2 cylinders with the same bore and half the stroke of the one, you won't see an increase in speed because the total displaced volume is the same.

I would question the wisdom in trying to make the angle move fast. You don't want it to take all day, but how often are you really changing the angle? That blade out front is heavy, and the frame that's mounted to is relatively small. If you start swinging the blade too fast you going to start seeing wear in all the pivot and mounting points because of the reaction forces involved in starting and stopping all that mass.

It's always better to be smooth than fast.

Jerry

Kendall,
Nice pictures with the snowblower in action. I even got into the act for a few minutes this afternoon with the snowblower on the 129. We received 2 inches of snow overnight, but due to the topography of my lot, a northwest wind can sweep up 2 inches of snow into an nearly a 2 foot drift in front of my garage. Here was the view from the drivers seat of my Accord as I arrived home from work this afternoon.

183799.jpg

Jerry Muncie
It was just a thought. I have heard and read on this site where snow blades cut sharper one way than the other with the IH brackets installed as per there directions. I want a fast change over and power when moving the 54" blade so If i do push to far I can use the angle to push me back. Just a Thought
1a_scratchhead.gif

At work we were preached a team and there ain`t no I in team lol and always try to improve. Later Don T

First post on here but I have been reading these posts for a while. Just having fun outside pushing snow with the 1650 and a 42" blade. Surprised as to how much push it really has. Joe

JOE RITTER
Welcome
groupwave.gif
, these cubs can be a blast for sure. later Don T

Charlie, I think Kendells' video was shot on old fashion video tape and got caught in the impeller,just like his extension cord!
rofl.gif
lurking.gif

<font size="-2">Sorry Kendell, just couldn't pass that one up</font>

Well, I missed out on the 1250 that was for sale but quickly rebounded and picked up another 100. Nice machine and has had some motor work done as a puller. It is spitting some oil out of the head gasket. I relieved the head and a copper gasket was used. I measured the cylinder and it is 0.020 over and was wondering why I couldn't use a regular $12 gasket rather than a copper. Any help would be appreciated as I am not pulling this tractor, well maybe a trailor and thinking about a Swisher 60" finish mower.
I got the steering wheel off as well, no problems, thanks for the FAQ.
Thanks

Veedeeohhh.....we don't need no stinkin' Veedeeohhh.... whadayaa think this is - Ewetooooob??
wedgie.gif
<font size="-2">
(video costs extra...and I was lucky to get 'em to take stills without dropping the camera in the snow- somethin' about rolling the chute around towards him)</font>

Joe R. Welcome using the 1650 you need to find your self a 52 inch blade, your tractor wont know much difference. 16 hp is more than enough. Do you hava a picture because
worthless.gif

IH hyd angle kit for snow blade...for those who have never seen one installed....

183801.jpg

183802.jpg

BTW, Did I ever mention how much fun plowing snow with a 2072 and Haban blade is?????
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Or for that matter blowing snow with the Super 782 and Super 42" thrower?????
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

A........HA!!!!! Now it's becoming very clear Grasshopper!

They do use a std lift cylinder(looks to be the same). That gives me the idea on how they mounted it(very close to what I was trying to figure out). I see they used an additional mounted on the rear side of mount(closest to tractor). I was mounting it a few inches up to the outside and that made the cylinder too long. I got the idea now.

The short leverage angle is what I was talking about, as someone mentioned below and wearing on the pivot angles. I know the hydraulic cylinder will have plenty of power to still move it. I saw the "mounting" holes on the side of the blade pivot area, so I knew that is where they put the front mount.

I'm saving those pics to my computer for future reference.

Thanks for the pictures!

Its a small world. Yesterday on the way to town I saw an engine at the side of the road with a FREE sign on it. It is a K301 with no head. No rust on the block yet so no indication of rational for putting it out. No one home to ask.

Got it home, block and crank appear Ok so I should be able to get one good engine out of the 2 I have.

Question, my 129 had a manual PTO and that seems to have caused the problems. I see an electric PTO in my manual, as I need a new clutch are there pros and cons to converting to the electric version?

Norm P

Norm P: Again...your service manual does NOT show an electric PTO for a 129!! It shows the Manual for a 1x8/9 Series Cub Cadet. Because both series are included in later service Manuals, the electric PTO found there is for the QL Series Tractors (800,1000,1200,1250,1450,1650).

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Back