• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Seth,
I kinda doubt reversing the tines will do you any good other than wear out the back side of them.
If your thinking of tilling like you normally do to build up dirt. It's not gonna happen with a Cub & tiller setup.
The tiller throws the dirt to the rear and to do a build up bed, your gonna have to till with your tractor in reverse and the tiller tines turning forward.
Or just keep digging down,moving forward very slowly throwing dirt up and away. But when you get to the end of the row, you'll have a deep hole to fill in.
biggrin.gif

Seth - the best way to make raised beds is to take a Minniapolis Moline rear end, put a Vega engine on it with a Weaver Custom driveshaft and flange bearing, buy a Bush Hog 62 inch PTO tiller and add down preasure to your hydraulic lift. Drop the tiller down on hard clay raising the rear wheels a foot off the ground. Rev the engine up to 3/4 throttle, let out the clutch and run 35mph down the garden riding on the tines! Then when that doesn't work, repeat process but drive backwards. After a good size area has been chewed up to fine powder take an angle blade and "plow" dirt from both sides toward eachother making a bed. Then walk in it bare footed sinking almost up to yer knees.

Second best is to buy a Snapper 8hp electric start tiller. They will turn the tines F/R by just turning over the belt. (if they even still build Snapper Tillers?)

Third best ? Can the belt on a Cub rear tiller been turned over ?

I heard that you are suposed to run the tiller backwards. I saw a guy that was selling a cub with a tiller and had switched the tines around. the tiller works fine for me so i dont even consider doing that. But i heard that this is how you make the tiller run back wards.

49304.jpg

but i went reeeeaaaaalllll slow when i was tilling the graden and i ended up digging holes as well.

But i have no idea what garden mounds are......
dizzy.gif

You gotta love the drawing lol

Now I've got to go take one of my Antivans , that made me dizzy
dizzy.gif
49307.gif

Chris and Bill -- I hear you on this winter's snow removal activities. The grass is still green in PA and it was green in the yard at the farm when I left there on Jan. 3. I did push snow up there once with a big tractor though. Then it rained about 2 inches the next day.

On the reverse tilling -- you need different tines if you reverse the tiller by monkeying with the driveline or belt because there is actually a cutting edge on the tines. We used a heavy-duty 5-foot LandPride reverse-tine tiller (about $2100 in the early 1990s) on the big Kubota to prepare 4 acres of perennial nursery, an acre of truck garden, and to cultivate several acres of tree stock. Nothing pulverizes the soil like a reverse system, but it took plenty of horsepower since the tiller and tractor were fighting each other directionally. That's about the only activity that made that tractor get warm.

If you want to make raised rows like listers, you can rig up a middle buster (might weld some wings on it) behind the tiller that will push the loosened soil to the edges. Or you can rig up a pair of wings that will funnel the loose soil to the center. The first setup will give you one completed raised row (and 2 half-width) per two passes while the latter will give you one per pass.

I have also seen raised-bed formers that consisted of a pair of rails set about 3/4 inch narrower than the tiller with what looked kind of like a reverse V-plow mounted between them. The point of the V was open and there was a piece of plate steel set horizontally behind the V's opening to flatten the raised bed's top. This rig was chained behind the tiller when I looked at it, but it could have been pulled in a separate operation as far as I could tell.

FWIW

I've never had a tiller as an attachment, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about this time.
dunno.gif

But, I've used a number of walk behinds, I agree that nothing pulverizes the soil like a reverse tine. But, the forward tine will be better at composting crop remains and other half baked organic material. So much so that the old TroyBilt Horse manual has instructions for tilling in standing sweet corn stalks. It is a little hard on the tiller, but it works fairly well. Reverse and forward tine operation is almost like 2 different tools.
JMHO
Winter pics? We had the AC on yesterday here in VA, mostly to get rid of the humidity.

I have a 1972 Model 149 Cub Cadet. Lately, although not always, when I try to start it it starts to creep ahead. It seems like the Hydrostatic in engaging. Any ideas on how to adjust/repair this problem?

Thanks in anticipation of collective wisdom!

Rand

Hank,
Here's my action shots for todays snow removal project!
This one I was trying to beat the snow to the deck,
49313.jpg

It wasn't really building up that fast though,
49314.jpg

Then I just gave up and started the back breaking chore of shoveling,
49315.jpg

On the IH windbreaker cab does the latch on the door latch up or down ,on the cab i bought goes down is that right.Charlie nice shovel does it fit your hands good.

does a 1200 have an internal wet brake or do they have external disc brakes? Cub cadets parts online list both. Looking at a 1200 and didn't see any external brakes on it. Makes me wonder....

Jim , the quietlines could have either , they seemed to jump back and forth on the brake style

For a second there I thought someone sneaked into my garage and took a picture.
49322.jpg

I have a suggestion for the snow blower crowd on how to get that snow. I man down in Atlanta did this when we hit 18 degrees back several weeks ago, he took out his pressure washer and sprayed it in the air and the mist turned to snow, he did this to his entire yard and looked just like it snowed. I just felt some sympathy for Digger,he always helps us and I just saw those pics and wish there was something I knew of could help.

Last month a guy promised his daughter snow for x-mas. He went down to the local ice rink, waited for the Zamboni to finish and filled his P/U truck with the scrapeings. Then dumped on his front yard, local kids had a fine time!

Question on voltage reg when i start the147 the needle pegs out . Can you adjust the reg ,with one the two screw ,that changes the charging rate. Terry is your pipe stainless or alumium.

Digger - ya call that a fireplug ? Seeing you with that manual front end loader removing snow during a white out makes me feel a lot better knowing that I wasn't the only one working today. Granted though I was in a nice toasty shop with water oozing through under the door and up through the center seam in the floor stripping the Toyota frame. I'd trade places with ya but I can't take that back breaking work ;)
49325.gif

Jim - the needle pegs out because the thing is charging! Why would you want to keep it from doing it's job? You work for the GOV or something ? ;)

Latest posts

Back