• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 16, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Norm, Norm, Norm - no the PTO is not supposed to bind. Go back to the Topics page and scroll down to the manuals section, and get a copy of the IH manual covering your tractor. It should have the details you need to check and adjust the electric PTO. As long as the bearing isn't causing the binding it sounds like you need to adjust the gap between the 2 clutch discs by adjusting the tension on the springs, and you need a feeler gauge to do this. You might need to go back over your installation as well and make sure you have everything re-installed in the correct order.

Arvin F - the yellar and white vintage CC's are much older than your 582 and things do happen over time. Sounds like you're somewhat fortunate if you haven't had any issues, except replacing that Biggs and Scrapiron. Nice you pushed it up to 18hp. When you're tilling do you have to use the low range of the Creeper to help hold the tractor back? I never really used a tiller other than just testing it, and it sure wanted to push the tractor even when it was dug in.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they are almost always a movin' and a shakn')

ARVIN - I agree with HARRY, nice looking 582. I noticed your fire extinguisher on the fender. I sometimes worry about that tank of gasoline sitting above or next to that hot engine and what could happen if gas got on the hottest parts of the engine or the electrical system. Carrying an extinguisher is a GOOD idea!

I've seen a couple burned up CC's here.

A lot of these CC's are 40-45 yrs old, I have a 44 and a 47 yr old tractor. The 44 yr old tractor has a pretty good wire harness on it yet, but I've added a LOT to it, more lights, AM/FM radio, relocated the voltage regulator from above the hot engine with all the vibration to under the seat where it's cool and doesn't vibrate. I used to replace the V/R about every other year but I haven't since I moved it about 18-19 yrs ago. IH moved them on the 1X8/1X9 series, and I got the idea from my old 129.

The 47 yr old tractor DAD did some modifications to the elec. system, but I have a new harness and stuff to install this summer. Also have a LOT of drilled holes to weld up!

Keeping the tractors inside out of the weather helps preserve the elec. systems, keeps rst down, the wire nsulation does fade, get hard, stiff, and crack off leading to shorts. My 982 is about 32 yrs old, the harness on it still looks good.

Hi
Why do only some k-series kohlers have balancer gears? And what happens if you take them out?
thanks Billy

The Fire extinguisher is always a must. Never know what might happen when you far from home. I guess it is the ex Navy side. The B&S was installed by the previous owner. However had to work out some clutch issues. I just till in 1st low even 2nd at times. I just put it as deep as it will go and move on down the garden.

WILLIAM - The balance gears were only used in the higher HP engines, 12, 14, & 16, the recirpocating weight was higher in them and that caused more vibration, and oddly enough all those engines had the 3-1/4 inch stroke crankshaft. They appear to be an option for the OEM's as some engines had them and some did not.

If you remove the balance gears the engines normally vibrate just a little bit more, just enough you may notice the vibration at certain speeds & loads. But the gears also don't knock the retaining rings off the shafts and start bouncing off the crankshaft and bust holes in your crankcase.

I'm getting a pretty sizable collection of balance gears from engines I've rebuilt. I've NEVER put them back in. The last engine I rebuilt, I used the bolt-on balance weights from Dave Kirk Engines, the brightly colored Sponsor box on the top left above, and the 14 HP engine runs just about as smooth as the 10 HP it replaced.

Thank you Harry. I also found it in the cubfaq after I posted. It did the job!

Harry, I do not think you were addressing me but I agree with you and I do not remove my snowthrower 'til April 6th or 7th usually.

help 1650 carb ---- picked up 1650 sveral months ago i was having some trouble with hard starding the carb spit out gas back thru the carb i did have running many times but figured stuck needle valve

i cleaned and overhauled ( walbro ) replaced throttle bushing mounting gasket to engine air air cleaner new fuel lines and filter -all and anything that i could except float needle which my local cub dealer said was okay - the float is also good i followed the rebuild manual and set the low and high idle srews as per manual --

reinstalled carb and guess what --- cant get it to start and gas spitting out carb again --- oh ya burned up a brand new battery which almost exploded cause i had battery charger to high - my oversight

i know theres spark plenty of gas - needs new battery now - i have other a 147 and 106 rebuild kohler carb on those never had any issues

any sugestions welcome - a little frustrating at this moment

Mike F - nope, didn't figure I'd need to pass that info along to you. I sorta figured you ain't one to take a risk when it ain't necessary. Now, I keep hearing the weatherman talk about records breaking that ain't been broke since they started keeping records - well that stuff goes both ways. Back in my days in the Dakota Territory I heard stories about snow on the 4th of July. And later I lived in the Wash DC area for a period and remember 3ft of snow mid-March, when the week before people thought it was spring. So, I just kinda knew you'd be with me. Waiting till Apr 6/7 puts ya in line with the calendar and probably safe from Mother Nature. Say I did hear tell you'd be makin a short trip across a couple borders soon. Kinda wondered if it'd be with a trailer.

George C - sorry I can't help you with those newer fangled Walbro Waldos. Sorta does sound like you need that needle or something associated with it. Did your dealer just tell you that you didn't need it cause he didn't have it in stock??? I have heard similar. If you need a Kohler manual with the carb you might find it at the Kohler web site. I believe the IH manuals only reference the original Kohler/Carter Carbs. Good luck with this one and let us know how you make out.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but they do get to spittin' and sputterin once in awhile)

Family got me a dual hole rear hitch, new ing switch, steering rebuild kit, and a few other small cub things for my birthday. The dual hole rear hitch from Charlie is sweet I will post some pics of it in the morning.

Just read over on the green forum that stens has supposedly stopped production of internal hard parts for kohler k-series engines.Guess this solves the stens vs kohler debates.

Harry --I love your signature lines.
smile.gif

george corzine,

I had a lot of problems with my 1650 starting, and had gas spitting out the carb as well. Go to Matt's site here:

http://mgonitzke.net16.net/tools/static_timing.pdf

This will help a lot. I had to do it 3 times before I got it right. I noticed the S mark was moving one way or the other on me. The hydro must slowly turn the engine out of time when I did this. But it starts and runs 100 times better now.

Matt, thanks for having this method available thru your site.

Hey Jeremiah - thanks for noticing. I was a kinda wondering if'n they might be slippin thru the cracks with all the yungn fast readers these days.

Charlie - hmm, let me see, just a few goodies there. Could it be the hood ornament? Naw, but I do see a N/F hydra lift handle and bracket. Did you air brush the pump out of the pic? Must be there someplace.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and Charlie has a hand in making sure)

Harry, Yes - I'll be crossing a couple of state lines but I won't admit to bringing a trailer yet! Gotta keep the suspense for a while longer. He reported that it was now running also!

Love your signatures also!

I wish people would not rub it in on getting those sims cabs for tractors. I would love to have one.
bash.gif

I bet Charlie got that at a good price
drool.gif

By Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 09:43 pm:

I just looked back and read over today's posts like I do every day and wow I see I`am as long winded as Denny and Harry , So I won`t post till Monday .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 step forward 2 steps back always ! Later Don T
I was betting Don couldn't resist! Record high temps here for awhile - might get some Cub juices flowing.
happy.gif

Frank-

I noticed that too and figured he wouldn't hold out. Maybe this forum is part of the addiction.

Don-

I think most readers here enjoy your progress both forward and backwards.

Don T - I'll add an "Amen" to Wayne's post, I enjoy your posting and sympathize with your struggles. I also learn a lot. I've always wondered how a voltage regulator worked, and after checking out Paul Funks web site, I think I have a much better idea. I also learned why the voltage regulator was (1) located in the front (like the larger IH tractors) and (2) why it was moved to the rear (to keep it cooler and to minimize vibration). I never would have learned any of this if you had not (1) noticed that your VR clicked when you connected the battery (you're getting better at sniffing out potential problems), and (2) posted about it --with pictures!

worthless.gif

It takes a lot of time to take, size, and post pictures to the forum, but it makes all the difference. I, for one, appreciate all the trouble you've gone through to post a complete story, from start to finish. I'll bet I'm not the only one who learned something "listening in" to your troubles.

Like you, I think this is a great site, and I'm sure that it is part of my addiction to all things Cub Cadet.
smile.gif

Now, if I could only do something about Charlie snapping up all the good deals on Cubs and their attachments . . .

Latest posts

Back