• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 28, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes,

It's lean, clean the carb and make sure all of the little passages, including the ones in the main jet needle are clean.

your_image.gif

On March 31, my older brother will retire from International Harvester in Springfield, OH after 43 years of work as a Journeyman Diemaker. After my dad died when I was 13, Don became like a second father to me, and I learned all of my skills in working with my hands from him. He kept me on the straight and narrow, and I would have the success in my life today had it not been for him.

In 1966, Don bought a Cub Cadet 122 with a 42" deck and snowblade. He still has it and uses it to mow part of his yard. By now its on its 3rd engine I think. I was 11 years old when got it and I can't even guess how many hundreds of acres I mowed and tons of snow, dirt and gravel I plowed with that tractor over the next 11 years.

Now I live if Florida and I'd often thought about getting a Cub Cadet. Well Yellow Fever
struck and last October I bought this 127 on Ebay:

16329.jpg

I got it from a guy in southwest Pennsylvannia and picked it up from his father-in-law who hauled it down to Charlotte, NC. I mowed with it as-is 3 times before I started its rebuild. Since the tractor will be a regular working tractor, I wasn't so much concerned with a perfect appearance as I was with mechanical soundness and reliability.

During the rebuild it got a new short block, new electrical system, new steering assembly, new tires, new front bearings, rebuilt PTO clutch, new steering wheel and seat, new hydro suction tube, trans seal, and filter, new mower deck, tailights, rear work light, paint and decals, oil temp, trans temp, cylinder head temp gauges and hour meter. Every worn pivot pin and bracket was repaired as well as every other problem I could find. I modified the transmission tunnel to provide access to the hyrdro release valves and fabricated a new release mechanism. After 4 months of working evenings and weekends, I'm pretty pleased to show you my renewed 127, which I dedicate to my brother Don:

16330.jpg

16331.jpg

16335.jpg

16336.jpg

16332.jpg

16333.jpg

16334.jpg

Next on the to-do list are fabricate a rollbar, rebuild the hydraulic lift pump, install a hydraulic cylinder on my dump trailer, and design and build the hydraulic lift for my front blade.

good cub day here in the nw. finished up the 149+ today, got every thing tuned and adjusted, made a few laps around the parking lot at the shop, can't wait to mow some field
bouncy.gif

16327.jpg

keith e, what kinda nitro you got, here's a pic of what i've got on my r/c bench
16328.jpg

Doug, I like the seat on the 149. Where can I get one? Sharp Tractor.

I am looking for a pair of 17" solid rubber wheels with 3/4" Axel center to go on a Welding Cart. Any suggestions?

Mechanics 101 Question:
Blew head gasket on one of 123's today, friend advised putting in dry, nothing needed. Advice was to pull head take a look of everything looks good just put in a new gasket and see if she starts up.

Seems a little too simple to me, the mechanically challenged at least for today.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how too replace the gasket and what should be done at the same time. Did a search on the board and did not really see anything.

Have a copy of the service manual for torque specs and pattern.

Thanks everyone,
Having one of those days,
Jim

Wyatt:

have been trying to e-mail you. It keeps getting returned.

Had a question.

Frank

Gary-
Great job on the 127! Got any pics of the cylinder head sensor? Where do you get something like that?

Tom H:
Are you sure those 489's are 23" OD. They look larger than the 23" tires they'll be replacing. The set of 489's I've got on the 129+ are 25"x10-12.

Gary S:
Very nice 127. I'd be interested in learning more about the different gauges you've installed and the mechanics of their installation.

Doug B:
I've been playing in RC for over 20 years. Never serious, just @ a hobby level. The last several have all been nitro. They've ranged from 1/8 scale 4WD buggies to 1/10 stadium trucks to 1/8 4WD monster trucks. I've currently got a HPI Nitro MT Racer. I purchased two used ones off of ebay and made one out of the two. I've had a HPI Nitro MT (non-racer) in the past and it proved to be the best of all worlds for me. This Racer received a Traxxas TRX .15 engine that I had lying around. I'm not too impressed with it. I'm going to try and fit an OS 2-needle carb on it to see if I can clean up the midrange a bit and get some more snap out of it.

later,
Keith

Frank-
Have you tried the address @alpincom.net at the bottom of my profile?

Herb.. go to www.grainger.com and search for a p/n 2G352... 1" spindle at 16" dia,

or

www.mcmaster.com, search for p/n 2336T41 or 2481T29 ($$$$)

didn't see any 17" only 14, 16, & 20

Tom H., Oh Yeah! I've noticed "all the tech pix and posts as of late"!!! I couldn't agree more, please keep 'em coming!!!

Jeff R., I look forward to the 125 photos!!

Kenny M., I do believe that I was a bit busy and asked you to hold off on sending them. I'd still like to scan them, I'll try to process them ASAP, but I should finish scanning the stack of stuff that Art lent me first.

Gary S., nice job on the 127!! I too would like more info on the gauges. Interesting Hydro release setup.

Doug, the 149 looks great!

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 01, 2004)

Lyle B., rest assured that I have Richards write up on the gasket replacement safe in the archive, ready for a repost on a moments notice, provided I'm online the moment the request for repost is made. :eek:)

heres some more pics of my refurbished 14+.
the engine recieved a complete rebuild, the cam was reground to 18hp spec, the ports matched and polished. all bolts on the tractor were upgraded to grade 8 or stainless steel. the sheet metal was painted using ppg acrylic enamal w/hardner.

before:
16339.jpg

16340.jpg

16341.jpg

after:
16348.jpg

16342.jpg

16343.jpg

16344.jpg

16345.jpg

16346.jpg

16347.jpg

herb g. i got the seat at the local new holland dealer, i had to relocate the mount holes using riv-nuts

KEITH - I was cleaning the garage yesterday and found an OS CV .12 I'd rebuilt 4-5 years ago as a spare engine for My Son's R/C racing efforts. For about what I had in the OS I bought a TOP/Nova Rossi engine that ran WAY faster. You need pipes & heads with the older OS engines to be competitive. That all came with the TOP/N.R. Son also had a MUGEN 1/8th scale 4WD buggy, OS RZ-B '99 Edition powered. About the time .15-size engines became popular Son discovered Blondes. And They proved to be MUCH more expensive & High Maintenance than R/C cars.
WYATT - Elwood bought their axles from DANA-Spicer some place up in Minnesota, can't remember the town the plant was in. Elwood made Everything else on the FWA. During the 86-Series Elwood made two or three different mounting designs. Probably only 1/10th to 1/4th of the axles were installed at Farmall on the 86-Series. Elwood never DID get the time to make an axle for My 72! I asked them, and They agreed....I wasn't even going to charge them for the hours of testing I was going to do!

Denny-
That '86 Elwood axle bolts on with a 1/2" steel frame. If this tractor didn't get it at the factory, it looks like a pretty easy field conversion.

Denny/Wyatt-
I think that Dana/Spicer factory is in Anoka, MN or somewhere near there. I've passed it a few times headed North...

Kraig and AaaTay -

Here's the cylinder head temperature sensor:

16350.jpg

It's a 14mm o-ring type sensor that replaces the normal sparkplug gasket.

I got mine from Westberg at:

Westberg Mfg. Inc

(Message edited by gsharrock on March 01, 2004)

Who's the Governor Guru?? Keith says My project-mutt's K 12hp's governor doesn't govern, and since I've got the engine lifted out of the bay, now would be a good time to take a look-see...

What typically keeps these from doing their job?

Latest posts

Back