• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 28, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheinsohn

displayname
Wes Heinsohn
Jim B.,
I switched a old pin style 48" deck to the quick attach mounting. All I did was drill out the front eyes on the deck so the front quick attach eye brackets would fit. In the rear, I had to mount the quick attach pin assemblies. I just layed out where they had to go and drilled the 6 holes to mount them. I used it on my 106 for many years and now have it mounted on my 123 with a quick attach subfdrame. You just have to make sure that you lay the back brackets out correctly for the right distance from the front eyes to the rear pin centers. Also make sure they are centered on the deck properly.

Wes-- You did what to a RARE 48" pin on deck?
happy.gif

After a week's worth of soaking in lye stripper, the Kohler shroud finally came out as clean as I think it'll get. Looks now like the threaded tabs that hole on the coil has started to crack the shroud. so they'll need to be brazed over before paint.
16277.jpg

Tedd,

Will it be 4wd??? and if so what's the plan for that????

Ryan -

I was thinking the VERY same thing
lol.gif

Wonder how high the grass is that he cuts with it...

Sorry Ryan & Bryan, but yes, I did it to one of Jim's rare 48" pin on decks. It was before I found this sight and the deck was cheap (free). It had one spindle that had broke out. I found another skin that had the opposite corner rusted out so I took them to work and with a plasma and wire feed welder, I made 1 deck out of 2. I welded it while clamped tight to a flat welding table to avoid warpage. It turned out great and I used it for 4 years until I got my 129 with the 50" deck rebuilt and running. Now it is semi retired. I kept all the brackets so it can be converted back.

Here's a question for those with the front hydraulics on their tractors;which 1/4" male tips are used that'll work with couplers on the tractors?? Do Pioneers work? Do the IH style use the round ball or poppet type? Any of those in the Surplus Center catalog seem to match up?{after all their coupler tips are only $4 or so}
Are the CC style tips still available,if so how much$$?? (Geez,I guess that is more than ONE question,isn't it??) Thanks for the help,guys! I am sure someone here knows the correct answer.

What a day!! 62 degrees, sunshine, dry ground!! Great cub time. I got quality seat time plowing, and there was nothing white in sight! Everything looked right, so I got out the Brinly 12" and turned some dirt. Even installed the JL dished coulter and plowed some more!. Nothing better that some cool tools, a Cub, a plow, even a little wrenching..........and dirt to turn!

Keith-
I get the feeling that my joy-ride on your 129+ at last year's Spring Break would have been a bit different had I known this tidbit of information.....
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

My un-scientific opinion is that you CAN notice the difference in charge pressure in the lift. The 129+ lift seems to be faster acting than was the one on the 1512D.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> Until I drove that tractor, I never knew a plow could slam upward!
roflol.gif

<font size="-2">BTW...It's good to see you around again!</font>

Jim D-
I asked that same question about those hydraulic fittings a year ago when I was gathering parts for a hydraulic chute rotator for my #450 snowblower and got this answer..
16294.jpg

It's a JD part number.
16295.jpg

The fittings do fit the outlets on the front, but I do not know if they work without leaking yet because I haven't had the <strike>energy</strike> time to complete the task. Now I spend all of my time on mundane tasks like today.

Cleaning the frame on the 72 from years of a leaky rear crankshaft seal and cleaning/rebuilding leaky sediment bowls...

Oh well, cub-time is cub-time!

Great to see all of the projects you guys are up to. Keep the pix coming!

Wow, what a fun filled day. A friend of mine in my squadron, finally got the bug to get his 125 going. Well, let's just say that it NEEDED ALOT of work. Whoever put it together didn't want to spend too much time on it. Anyway, he got a great price from Madsens on a new wire harness and we installed it today. Man, what a nice way to repair the wiring. After the harness was installed, we hooked it up, and made a BUNCH of repairs on various parts. We need to spend another day on it, but we got the hytran changed out, and a new hydraulic filter as well as a bunch of other miscelaneous items. It is not running yet, but it is in the works. Maybe next weekend. I liked working on the 125. Nice tractor. Also got W I D E tires put on the front of the 123, and a certain change to the front just for Kraig! Pics will follow later this week. I got a few more parts coming in the mail, after I get them installed, I'll get some updated pics!

Herb Gould, you might want to check the email address listed in your profile. I tried to send you a message from two different email services, and both said that your address as listed doesn't exist.

Kraig, did I ever send you that second batch of IH literature you wanted to scan? I found some IH literature in a package addressed to you the other day, but the package didn't appear to have ever been mailed. I've been trying to remember what was up with it (I'm subject to frequent senior moments). Best I recall I got it ready to send but at the time you might have been too busy to deal with it. In any case, do you still need it or want to fool with it?

Steering column cleanup!

I never did find a steering shaft to use for my hydraulic kit, but I did find someone who had a bad column, and was interested in a trade for my good column. It was still in pieces from a few weeks ago when I opened it up... most of the parts were in a dish in my parts washer, waiting for me to turn on the pump and scrub out the crud. Did that last night.

Tonight, I put it all back together. Since this has been discussed before, I'll just show pictures, and point out a few minor things...
16297.jpg
16298.jpg

That's MerCruiser Spline Grease... good stuff, man!

Hmmm... sector pin's got the usual wear...
16299.jpg
16300.jpg

I was bored one evening about two years back... made a nice attachment for my old lathe... a toolpost grinder... here's what it can do!
16301.jpg
16302.jpg

Ahhh... that's MUCH better!
16303.jpg

Ready for a shot of paint on that column tube!
16304.jpg

Art,thanks for the help;looks like a trip to my local Deere guy is in the works.

I have an IH Cub cadet 54" blade that I have installed on my 982 and am gonna put hydraulic angling on it. The only mods to the blade were lengthening the blade's subframe to fit the super GT frame and the lift rod being lengthened accordingly. I have used it about 1 year with good results. I prefer having it over the Haban blade on my 982!

Of course,since I like that ol' 982 powerhouse so well,I have also installed a sleeve hitch on the rear(yes,Virginia,it can easily be done)so it has become quite a versatile all-season tractor. With the added size and traction of the 982,it is very useful. I have used the Brinly rear blade and their larger cultivator on it;still want to find a decent sleeve hitch plow for it before spring tillage days yet and see what it'll do in the furrow!!(Note;NOT a "wanted-to-buy" here guys,)just a mention that I would like to bring the big RED to turn some MN dirt!!

Question for the experts. I know this has been talked about in the past but wasn't paying attention then. I got my 14hp Kohler running last night to put in my 1X9 chassis. The carb was really varnished up. It seems to run OK above 2500 RPMs but will not idle. The muffler glows quite red when running. Is this a sign of to lean of a mixture or too rich? I know I have to take the carb back off and give it a good soaking at work. I thought I had it cleaned up good but some of the jets must still be dirty. I can try to adjust the idle and high speed screws but nothing changes. The valves are gapped at .009 and .018. It backfires at lower RPMs also. It did look impressive in the lighted shed with that glowing muffler but I know it is not right. Thanks in advamce.

Greenie pad, Thats what I used to replace the elipitical spounge "gasket" on my 149 rebuild. Will that work or do I need to revisit?

What is supposed to hold the Mule in place on the front of a Cub. I have a Bolt with washers on the Stbd side and nothing on the Port side.

email address change, I give up, how do I change my address. The one on my profile is an old one and I don't see how to change it.
Thanks, Herb

good mornin all. finally got the last of the 149 parts painted yesterday. so this am im gona finish that sucker.
on the front toe adjustment - should it toe in or out,?
cant wait to mow some 4 ft tall grass at full speed
crazy.gif

Doug-
I think it's in the manual, but with the tops of the tires from the factory leaning out, I'd think there should be a little toe-in, maybe something like 1/8" or so, I'd almost be inclined to give it as much as 1/4".

Back