Archive through February 21, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,
That carb you bought is probably not so much "junk" as it is still "dirty". Soak IT, in some carb cleaner, and use the ultrasonic cleaner to clean your wifes silver and jewelry. They work good for that I'm told. Like Art, I have never had to take the welch plugs out of a carb to clean it by soaking in a cleaner made for that purpose.

DON - The gallon cans of carb cleaner with the soaking tray in them to set your carb on work great for cleaning carbs. I've also never had to pull any welch plugs to clean a carb up good. Can of spray carb cleaner, soak the carb over night, blow every orfice out with the spray carb cleaner, then compressed air and be careful assembling them and they should be fine. When done the carb will look like new.

You should be able to find the gallon cans of carb cleaner at your local auto parts store. I got mine at my local NAPA and they don't carry much of ANTHING.

Just don't leave a carb in the cans of cleaner for several weeks, or months. I saw what that does to carbs several years ago at somebody else's shop.

Last set of points I put in my K321 I set the gap at .020", hooked up the timing light and the timing was spot on the mark. But then the camshaft in that engine was brankd new, push rod was brand new, valves, lifters, piston, rings, rod, etc all brand new.

Art, "...we all know who the most stupid stick in the pile is..." you referring to me?
1a_scratchhead.gif
draw.gif
Well, you're probably correct.
icon_rolleyes.gif
facepalm.gif

Don: I'll third the suggestion to get a gallon soak bucket (I use Gunk brand...). I have never had to pull a welch plug - only one carb in many years didn't clean and that was off a two stroke snow blower that was a known problem.... and BTW - you aren't the dumbest stick in the woodpile, either..I've got some nominations for that prize (and have gotten nominated myself)..
taunt.gif

Don T., here 's what I use to clean carbs, and is, I believe, the same as everyone else is recommending:

254256.jpg

254257.jpg

Don T, I'm sure all of us have done some stupid things, we just have to admit it. Like the last snowstorm when I got the 782D started and couldn't get it to move. Took the tunnel cover off and checking the hydo over. Glanced up and realized the parking brake was on. I was doing some talking to myself. Sometimes we over think a problem when there is a simple solution.

Latest posts

Back