Archive through February 09, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekincaid

displayname
Ethan Kincaid
Kraig-I'd say someone stole your idea in the past it looks very similar to your link pic....could that be a cc mechanics service trick???? Like during a service interval

Ethan, could be. But more likely, the PO was working on it and noticed the wear on the cast aluminum tensioner and had the same thought I had, "Hmmm, I wonder if I put steel shims in there if it would stop the wear to that soft aluminum?" The answer that that question 16 years on is, yep!
proud.gif

Attachments

• proud.gif
    proud.gif
    926 bytes · Views: 110
  • proud.gif
    proud.gif
    926 bytes · Views: 113
Hey folks, the PO of my 124 sprayed the hood white with a rattle can. Looks like crap....I can still see the blue stripe under there. Any tricks for removing that mess without harming the original paint below? Lacquer thinner scares me but might have to very carefully. Thanks for any help!

David

I've used easy off oven cleaner on some plastic adirondack chairs my wife found at a yard sale it took off the top layer,had to keep reworking it....MAKE SURE you try a small unseen area FIRST!!!!!if you try that,l.It may just be best to redo your hood from scratch and grab one of those decal kits

He probably painted it for a reason in the first place.

Suggest stripping it down, repainting, and redecaling for best results. Maple Hunter has good Cub Cadet decals, as does Charlie.

Kraig looked "almost " comfortable,,, not Frosty at all,,,
happy.gif

I noticed the blue Bosch on the #2 125,,,
thumbsup.gif

I had good luck w/ the MH decals, I know some here have not..

Anyway I wonder if there is a general consensus here as far as the actual "stripping method" of original paint,,,?!,??!,.,?!!?

Kraig, Very Nice looks Awesome!!!

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 100
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 113
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 108
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 109
Jason-I'd say any way you can get down bare metal with a minimum of frustration,l guess number 1 if you access to a sandblaster,number 2 wire wheel method,number 3 chemical strippers I'm not a huge fan of number three

Ethan, "minimal frustration"
thumbsup.gif

My preferred method is to Warm things up a bit, then a good soft non abrasive wire wheel has worked well for me in the past,,,
err.gif

Hey also congrats on the 125, SWEET!!!!
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 108
  • err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 111
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 108
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 105
  • err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 105
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 105
Ethan - according to my son you very likely have SNOW!!!!! He got about 14". I sure hope your paint dried up enough to use the thrower - worst case the snow probably shined up your metal work. We still need PICS.
worthless.gif

Kraig - "stole your idea". Come'on now. I was adding shims long time before your 16 year period. Only difference I was using some brass and some steel, so I could get the small sprocket aligned as best as possible with the large sprocket on the auger.

Now, about the shim you add outside the sprocket bracket where the driveshaft connects. I assume you leave a little space between the shim and driveshaft.

Jason - on your general consensus about stripping - wire wheel is my preferred method depending on what the item is. If it's not a really big part then I like soaking in vinegar as a rust remover and it loosens/softens any paint as well. Sometimes a few days is enough, if it's heavier rust then a week or so and it depends on outside temps. It's quite amazing how well it works, but if you do use it you need to neutralize with baking soda and wash with water.

Attachments

• worthless.gif
    worthless.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 116
  • worthless.gif
    worthless.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 107
Hydro-Yes sir snows a flyin in ocean state we have about eight inches or so far it was rain up until 1030 or so once it changed all hell broke loose I can't see across my street,and yes sir I got my paint squared away last night,pulled a last one to finish up

Oh, almost forgot this.

Steve, Mr. Plow - 1/2 throttle 2/3 hydro - not knowing which CC tractor you were using I would calculate speed to be between 4-5mph. Encountering an obstacle at that speed with enough force to trip the blade would likely also result in the operators head being forced into a position near the grill housing of the tractor, unless some un-common safety equipment (seat belt) was in use. In either case the resultant action often leaves brown spots in an inexperienced operators attire.
beer2.gif

Attachments

• beer2.gif
    beer2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 109
  • beer2.gif
    beer2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 112
From the archives, as typical on the forum, read from the bottom up:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 02:08 pm:

Kraig - I'd be interested to know and see some pics of how your thrower is holding up. I seem to recall the small side of the small sprocket would be the side that cut mostly into the mount bracket. Even a steel washer larger than the diameter of the small side of the sprocket would help avoid this "cutting" effect, and probably hold up quite awhile. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

By Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 01:33 pm:

Harry, I too noticed that wear on my QA42 many years ago when I refurbished it. I also added shims (don't recall what they were made of) to help reduce wear. I got my 125 all ready for winter duty one day last week. I suppose I should check it to see how the shim mod is holding up...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

By Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 01:21 pm:

Ok guys - snow season is coming up and I'm certain alot of you are getting your Throwers all ready and warmed up (as Joseph S has with his 1450 and QA42A). I'm wondering if any of you have made any adjustments/alternations to the small chain sprocket bracket/assembly? I discovered over time the sides of the small sprocket would cut into the "cast" mounting bracket, and eventually cut into the area housing the needle bearings. The sprocket slides side to side when the thrower is raised/lowered which pulls or pushes the sprocket into the bracket, resulting in this wear if the thrower is running. I used to install brass shims to help avoid this wear and keep the small sprocket in alignment with the large sprocket on the auger. Just wondering if anyone else has been doing this, or if anyone noticed this wear and may have addressed it with different methods, to avoid replacing their small sprocket bracket.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Harry,

You greatly overstate the impact/reaction of a blade tripping........it wasn't any big deal....I wasn't thrown, jolted, or "soiled"........

I was going 3.5 maybe 4 mph and the end result was about like stomping on the clutch/brake for a sudden stop.

What PISSED ME OFF was the blade getting stuck in the crack.

What THROWS you onto the hood is ramming a huge drift at BRS when the blade doesn't trip, and the drift stops you cold. I personally have always known better than to do this, but others have not!!!!!

BTW, I was on my 2072/982 Special with my 54" Haban blade, weighted and chained up.......

Kraig - yup, you stole my idea even before I knew exactly what my idea was. I think my idea started back in about 18 no 1991.
biggrin.gif
Ain't memories a funny thing.

Steve - Mr. Plow - in my recent posted calculation I may have failed to consider the size of the operator on the seat - which could be in part why you didn't experience what I thought you may have. On the other hand, I have experienced the non-trip blade effect at ramming speed. It's typically only done once, and the operator develops a certain caution -
feint.gif

Attachments

• feint.gif
    feint.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 112
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 108
  • feint.gif
    feint.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 114
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 105
This just in - couple of my son's tractors in CT that were "not" ready for about 14" of snow.
312618.jpg

Attachments

• 312618.jpg
    312618.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 312618.jpg
    312618.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 119
If I start now on the 100 for the east coast...
312621.jpg

Attachments

• 312621.jpg
    312621.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 312621.jpg
    312621.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 111
Ethan your 125 looks amazing! I'll have to go take some pics this weekend of more of the heard. I'm getting better at taking pictures further away and just cropping when I use my phone. I got no computater right now, but I do gots a flashy box!

Oh, and according to my niece Ethan, you would be considered an older fart. Grandparents are ostriches...

Steve B. I've seen a blade from a 782 where the sub frame was bent from abuse. The PO that I bought it from also had a Bolens 1050 that when I first saw it was in beautiful condition and I could have bought it for $350.00. When I saw it again it was looking awful (just like the 782 was buying). The fella just didn't care.

Harry B. I feel for those out east. Our little over an inch earlier this week should melt this weekend.

Earl F. Your 100 looks tough and ready in that picture. I've decided to take the snow thrower off the Keepsake 1650 this spring and use it for mowing duties. I'll finally be able to address the leaking checking valves on the 125 this summer.

OFF TOPIC FRIDAY!!! (Fancy's idea of one tough CAT)
312625.gif

312626.jpg

Attachments

• 312626.jpg
    312626.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 312625.gif
    312625.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 312625.gif
    312625.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 113