• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 30, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a misconception that "electricity" is invariably made of negatively-charged particles called electrons. This error also leads people to wrongly imagine that electric currents are always a flow of negative particles. Actually, in some situations electric currents can really be a flow of positive particles. In other situations the flows are negative particles. And sometimes they're both positive and negative flowing at once, but in opposite directions. The true direction of the flowing particles depends on the type of conductor.

Okay, when did electrical stuff stop being magic blue smoke trapped in shiny black boxes?

Terry B..Ya need to go back to school...

+ means input
- means outflow

That's why in the early days grounds were +. Then engineers discovered that it worked much better to use the - as the common.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

So you mean juice flows out of the glass instead of into the glass ?

Wild Bill -- you tryin' fer my job now too? That's why I get depresed and pissed and fade out of sight and crawl into a hole for a few months at a time ... then some blood hound like Charlie finds me and drags me back out of my hole. I gotta find a better hiding place. I hear there's an empty spider hole in Iraq.

For those of you who didn't go to school for electronics.
48976.jpg

Hey Grump!
Your still the head Ahole hands down. So just settle down, take yer meds and you'll be just fine, AGAIN!
biggrin.gif

I have a question on this flow thing, WTH dif does it makes as long as your tractor starts!
wedgie.gif

Eric N:

The starter I installed works fine with cold start. After running the tractor a while the Bendix does not want to engage. Could it be that I am losing electrical power somewhere when the tractor is warm but not when it is cold? Or, could it be that this tractor eats starters? Is this the time to buy a tester and ohm meter as suggested?

Your post brings some questions to my mind:
(A) I assume you are referencing a CC 1650?
(B) I assume that your condition exists when attempting to start a warm motor?
(C) What do your mean "the starter I installed"

Perhaps you could fill in the blanks for a better understanding of your post.

confused.gif

Many years ago some manufacturers grounded the positive side of the battery to the frame. They have all since switched to grounding the negative side of the battery to the frame. I believe they all made the switch because of electrolysis. If the frame is grounded positive then it becomes the sacrificial anode and corrodes.
48981.gif

That's what I love about this place. Someone asks what time it is and we tell 'em how to build a watch
lol.gif

This thread doesn't have much to do with Cub Cadets, but does relate to their older Cub relatives with positive grounds, which many of us also have. Sacrificial anodes and dissolved frames??? Well, I suppose in the world of engineering & chemistry anything is potentially true but, in the future, every time I go to a tractor show, I'll be on the lookout and checking for a sacrificially dissolving chassis or frame (or anything else) on those 20's, 30's, & 40's tractors with positive grounds. Or how about the antique car shows which still have all those T's & stuff...I guess maybe their frames are about to sacrificially dissolve 'cuz they left 'em out in the rain (cleaning solution)... OK....Yeah...Ummm Hunnh....

Hey Bryan McM: I hope your digital watch isn't a positive ground...you wrist may be sacrificed and dissolve....
whistling.gif

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Dale,thanks for the info and the pictures of the front of your tractor,definetly helped me out thanks again,vern,will send some pictures when all done..

This is my first post here...
Electron Flow. It depend on where you learned your theory. The big thing to remember about any discussion involving electrons is that its all theory. Nothing has been proven. If like myself you learned your theory in the US NAVY Coast Guard Air Force or Marines then you would have been told that Electrons flow is from Positive to Negative. IF you learned it as a Civilian then it would be the negative to positive. The truth is no one knows how electrons flow, We are talking about something that has never been seen. I used to teach Electrical and Electronic Theory in the military as well as the civilian world and have taught both ways. So both of you are correct.

The reason the the automotive world began to use the negative as the ground is because it became a standard for all cars imported into the USA in the Late 60s. Some but not all European imports had before that time used a positive ground set up, they got together and formed a standard for import so the all accessories would work on all cars. To my knowlege the only cars that ever had a positive groud system also used a Lucas Electric system with the exception of war time VW's.

A sacrificial anode is the softer of two metals, a good example is on a boat, the small zinc piece that is right above the prop is an anode. In this case the boat its self or the prop is the cathode. The cathode Anode set up is also used in electroplating, A softer metal being bonded to a harder metal.

Kyle M hit the bottom line, if the smoke gets out it's all over.

Terry B where did that page come from?

From memory, which I shouldn't trust at all, Military(DOD) training courses usually tought electron theory of current flow and college level was hole current flow.

Wild Bill,
concerning manuals, many people may not know what manuals are available and how reasonable Binder Books is for the amount of info in those old reprinted IH manuals. All newbies should be recommended to the Binder Books site to at least know the different manuals available, it is all there listed the last time I looked.
And if someone thinks the prices are too high go price out a JD service manual($85). I only did it once and was sticker shocked right out of the place.
Dave

Whew!!!! There seems to be an over abundance of testosterone here. To keep from getting zapped I am tearing into my Cub 100 as I type.
G.L. " Looking at the Blue Ridge Mts. of Va."

Back