• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 30, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinney

displayname
Jason Finney
Mr. Bedell,
While cranking engine over voltage reads 5.2. At rest, voltage is 11.9. Should this tell me something? My understanding of electricity is minimal. When you say "bench test" the starter, how would you do that? Is the starter something a novice could work on? Thanks for the help.
Jason Finney

Charlie,
On the Gasket question.....I got two opinions over there, thought I would also check over here to see what the wise ones-those with experience-have to say.

Do you think I should go with neopreme?

Jerry

Dale M - Interesting write-up on your Dad's red 149.

Charlie - Cool find on that great looking almost-new #2.
baldguy.gif

Jason F:

Also, here is a simplified Wiring Schematic for the 1250 for the Ignition Circuit only. This should aid you in tracing down the spark problem. I am assuming you have a VOM meter and know how to use it.

48960.jpg

If you need additional information, just post back.

thumbsup.gif

Jason:

IF all is well with your starter circuit, you should have a minimum of 12.0 Volts at the Cable Terminal on the starter, while it is turning over. If you have less than that, then there is some sort of supply issue.

Jason, if your reading 11.9 and dropping to 5.2 at the battery, the battery is bad. A fully charged battery should read 12.6 and stay above 10 volts while cranking. No spark could be a result of not enough battery voltage or the points are dirty. Very common with an engine that has been sitting a long time. Try jumpering the battery from another vehicle. It may crank right up.

I just have to say this..........

It doesn't bother me at all that guys post on both Cub Cadet sites/forums...but when this crap happens, it's a different story>

I always like the 'ask on both sites' questions. It's interesting when they ask on one site, get the answer, and then ask on the other site...WHY?????

Also, why is it some guys never post on -this- site, until they get a chance to 'show off'.... Then they post some pictures of 'Here is my blah, blah, blah', then they disappear again until they see an opportunity to show off once again.....

And while I'm at it......
Why is it a sin to tell people to buy some manuals???

I don't understand why people never want to spend $20 on a instruction book to repair their tractor correctly (pick your favorite excuse here... no money, no time, too lazy, etc.) but they spend untold $ worth of gas and time running around buying and attempting to install the wrong parts, breaking, bending, and ruining good parts, taking off parts they didn't need to, etc.

If you don't have $20 to spend on a manual, then you don't have enough money to be pissin' around with these tractors!!!

Maybe I'm just torque'd because it's Dec. 30th, and the snow team hasn't had any excercise yet......
48966.jpg

48967.jpg

48968.jpg

Naaaa....I'm just tired of the nonsense!

Thanks Roland. I have not seen that chart before. The PO told me he thought I could swap the gas tank and the battery back around, but it looks tight under the hood to me. I'll post a picture when my computer will cooperate.

Dave Kirk - Very interesting findings on the balance gears. I put my 125 together about 8 years ago and if I remember right left them out. I have always thought it "shakes" a lot, but maybe no more than one with them in place. What you discovered sure makes sense.

Wild Bill? Your really Cookin'....
biggrin.gif

Maybe you are just having 'Male'pause..
err.gif

Battery voltage at rest of 11.9 tells me your state of charge is near zero percent. 5.2 cranking tends to confirm it.

Mr. Bedell and others, thank you for your replies. I will try jumping the tractor, or using a known good battery tomorrow.

Now, as far as why questions may be asked on multiple sites, I have at least one plausible reason. I always used the Farmall Cub forum since I own and attempt to work on my Cub. I then later purchased a cub cadet and occasionally ask questions on that same forum. However, activity in the CC section is nowhere near as high as the Cub section, so answers aren't always as plentiful or prompt. As such, I found this forum and decided to ask a question. I am not as mechanically inclined as most of you, but wish to learn. If myself or others will be belittled or made fun of for the "ask on both sites" approach, then I should think that you won't have much interest in your site from newcomers who aren't experts in working on their tractors.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you again to those who offered advice and assistance.

Jason F: Go to the www.CubFAQ.com site and you will find much information you will need or can use. If you want to get a little better grasp of basic electricity tailored to automotive use, Digger has just posted an IH intro to electricity...It's # 76...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Wild Bill
The people that copy all of the manuals are the same people that make an exact copy of something you spent time designing and building and then have the gall to say their Dad designed it.

Just one mans opinion.

The electricity flow diagram in FAQ #76 is wrong..... electrons flow from the negative side of the battery to the positive side.
clappy.gif

Back