Archive through December 14, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, first off want to say thanks a lot to all who contribute or make this site happen, the info on here is simply amazing. I recently was able to purchase an original, 1961, which is not a common thing in my neck of the woods, previous owner claimed it had been sitting for over 30 years in barn were I found it, just looking for little advise on things to look for or do before start up, engine is not seized, and tractor rolls and steers properly, it does have oil bath filter, which I know nothing about. I have brought home some early cubs, but never this early, tks

WELCOME.gif
, Joel!
happy.gif

You're not that far away, as the crow flies. Congrats on the Original, and I see you also have a 125.
I've seldom had the patience to go through a start-up regimen. With me, it's usually make sure it's getting fresh gas and a spark, getting it running and warmed up, then changing the (warm-hot) oil and going from there. The last one that came in with no compression was simply a sticking intake valve. There's a lot of "O" owners here, so you should have no problems with specific questions. Happy Cubbin'!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hello, some pictures of this mornings snow that I thought some might enjoy. It was the first time I really got to use the plow, and it's good fun although I found once the heavier snow gets to about a foot, it can be a little tricky.

265572.jpg

265573.jpg

265574.jpg

That's some serious snow, Matt, and that 123 is sure a pleasure to look at!
happy.gif

Thanks Frank, I personally get a huge smile when I back up before going full throttle into a snow bank, pushing through the snow like it's the Batmobile driving through a concrete wall.
lol.gif

Tks frank, I usually don't have patience either, but seeing as I have wanted a O for long time without finding one, I'm a little nervous to mess it up, kinda one of them deals were you see it you buy it,

Got some seat time on the 123 this morning while clearing snow from the driveway...I was able to avoid last year's issues with the QA 42 snowthrower by installing a jam nut to keep the belt tightener from backing off. Worked like a charm!!

Still wondering what will be needed to adapt my 73 quick attach mower mule drive for using a 1A tiller in the spring...not quite sure what part(s) should replace the spring after it is removed, and if any spare items from a 70 mule drive might come in handy for this. Also, is it important to use steel pulleys when rototilling? I'd rather not replace the standard pulleys unless it's critical...

Thank You Guys for the heads up. I am going to do as Rick Beem suggests and look into the MWSC clutch setup. Right now this is as big as I can go until I get back to eastern Iowa and pick up a 16 horse Kohler from a Bobcat skidloader. I also have a gentleman holding an overhead valve 18 hp Kohler that looks to be a bolt in as far as the oil pan mounts. I think that engine will need an overhaul though. What I want is a serious mowing, plowing and all around fun gear drive in a wide frame Cub Cadet.

Daniel G. I know what you mean. In a way it hurts to part with Barney only he is going to someone that is going to repower him and then resell him. I know that Barney is one heck of a hydro only right now I've just Clarence the 102 and the rest are hydros. When I rebuilt the trunion I tightened up the linkage only due to time I didn't set neutral. Anyone that gets Barney is getting one nice hydro Cub Cadet.

Hopefully in two weeks I can have the 108 home on a weekend. Fancy is already claiming another "kitty dibs" Cub Cadet with it.

Monica got out the long lens for her camera and caught me on the 782 over in the neighbor's driveway Saturday morning making 6" of wet snow fly......

265576.jpg

Thanks for all the snow pics everyone! We got gypped! It rained during the night and the 2 inches turned to mush.. I pushed it away as it's getting real cold now!

Latest posts

Back