Archive through December 08, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbean

displayname
Randy J. Bean
Howdy, y'all.... From chilly Texas!!!!!

I was kinda wondering.... Where are all the Cubs down here?????

Seems they're all up north and east......

Just wonderin.......

Randy:

I bought al of them when I was in Texas working races. Now there are here in Illinois LOL!

Chilli...17 degrees here....

I drag raced from 1970 thru 1974 billfold couldn't handle it anymore!

Good Lord did they make a Yellow & White 782??? My day is complete I learned something new!

Pops

Ben: That was when I was racing my fuel dragster. Raced at Terra Haute, and Charleston...to name a few...You may have been there at the same time. Started in 1963 and finally left in 2003.

Looking at the picture and it is a yellow and white cub that has 782 on it.

I wish it was retro fit like my red 782. It has a M-18 in it.... Power house....

Pops, here's a Yellow and White 782 from an old brochure.

46710.jpg

Who are you calling Pop"s?

Just because I am old doesn't mean you can do that...LOL I feel like it though sometimes, especially when wrestling with a cub narrow frame drive line...

I put a 14 in my 126....but I changed frames and cut holes for the creeper gear lever and breather....A am calling a 146. Not done. Have to wire it yet. Wearing me out!

Want to use it for next plow day.

I knew there were Yellow and White 782's....
FSM

<font color="ff0000">PS I missed the end of his post "POPS" Now I feel better!</font>

Thanks to all you have responded about the flywheels. I have learned, Thanks!!!!!
G.L.

Frank, you got your post with the mention of the Y&W 782 in between Pop's and mine.
angel.gif

Yellow and white 782's didn't necessarily have a series II... The one I parted out did not, it had a siezed series I, which I fixed and is now running again.

Randy...don't you believe that they are all gone from Texas...
bouncy.gif
They just don't want you to find 'em before their next trip....BTW, check your email....

From Down Town Texas,

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Here's a question I'm sure has been answered on here many times but true to my name I can't remeber how. How do you safely go about jumping the starting system on a cub cadet? What to do and not to do?

Michael,
If you are talking about jump starting when the battery is dead than you just follow the same method as when jump starting a car. Positive jumper cable lead to positive battery post, negative lead to the tractor's frame away from the battery. Make sure that you're out of gear and have the break locked first though. Then start the tractor.

Has anyone from here been trying to call me? I've had calls from up north on my cell but whomever is calling never leaves a message.

Kyle M. Nope... I don't have your number.
biggrin.gif

Sure is quiet tonight. Everyone must be watching the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer special on TV. Either that or the guy in that Cub picture cut the cheese.

Sorry I should have been more specific. A tractor I have has a bad spot in the wiring and has no power to the starter. I know someone talked about putting power directly to the starter but like I said, I don't remeber the details.
dunno.gif

Alright, maybe you all can help me here... earlier today, I was putting along with my trusty 149 giving a package that UPS mixed up with my neighbors and gave to me, and they gave them my box...anyway, on my way back, I could stop with the trans lever fine, but it would go into forward when I hit the brake to stop like I usually do, and the same thing happens when I'm backing up even the slightest hill. WTH is going on with it? Thanks
help.gif

Howdy, Randy. I have a couple of Cubs and saw 2 at a automobile swap meet in Ft. Worth a few months ago. I almost bought them but I have way too many projects going already. I also have a 67 model 122 that I bought about 1970 and have been useing it hard ever since.

Still waiting for snow in the "Heart o' Michigan" .. the 129's blade hasn't even touched the ground yet - if I'm lucky, we'll get good solid frost in the ground before I have to move any snow.. the QA 42 sits in the back of the barn - not even thinking of putting that on yet.

Frank M; I think you might know an old feller I'm acquainted with - name of LaHaie.. Lived about three miles from here until he built his new place the other side of Lansing.. If your familiar with stock class guys, there's 'nother guy I've known for a few years - runs a Fairlane T-Bolt.. name of Pacquet ...kinda crazy - his brother Jim builds transmissions..

Kendall
Are you talking of Dick LaHaie who was crew chief on Larry Dixon's Miller TFD?
I know of your friend since I met ALL Stock, Super Stock, Pro Stock, Pro Stock Motorcycle, Pro-Mod, Comp Elimination and Alcohol drivers/crew chiefs at fuel check. If they wanted a pay check, they had to pass my lab tests. Even Force and Schumacher were subjected to my tests.

Dennis:
You mentioned using methanol in one of your cubs. DO NOT BUY it from a station that pumps from a large tank. It wil be NO good. Only buy in a sealed drum or 5 gal can and keep sealed and in a cool place. Methanol absorbs water if exposed to the atmosphere. Will quickly loose its specific gravity and its associated power. Methanol in a cub carb will require different jetting as it takes more methanol to produce the same results as gasoline. Check with Don Vogt for specifics. He is the expert.
20% Nitro w/alcohol will give some added hp but you are getting in the area where you need to advance the timing to get proper flame travel and ignition. The lead on a fuel engine is well over 50 degrees before top dead center. That means that the piston is less than 1/2 way up the cylinder when the charge is lit. Nitro is the slowest burning of Gasoline, Methanol and Nitro. Would take the points on the plate at end of cam to make this useful so you can advance the timing on you cub as needed. Could tell you a story about local fire marshal having a fit with a delivery of a drum of 98% nitro to my house in 1975.
Finally...need to check spark plug for continuity. We used to call it buzzing a plug. Many plugs have a tiny internal gap. They will not work as well as ones that have the electrodes touching inside of the insulator. Use a lantern battery and door buzzer. If the buzzer sounds when the leads are connected to the two ends of the plug then you have a good plug. Second you need to index it.

Did not get the yellow 782. Sold before I got to it...Looked pretty nice.

Randy shoot me another e-mail..I accidentally deleted your e-mail when I went to reply. Old fingers don't work so well.

Lets think about this statement for a little while!

Please try to use this topic for discussion about IH Garden Tractors built prior to 1981.

Latest posts

Back