Archive through December 01, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MATT - Creeper is a 4:1 planetary reduction gearbox that bolts on in front of the main reduction gearbox ahead of the transmission in a gear drive CC. It cuts the speed in every gear to 1/4 the normal speed. Typically the speeds are .6 mph, .8 to .97 mph, and 1.7 mph. There's been three different 2nd gear ratios used in CC's so that's why the speeds vary. They are just about manditory to rototill with a gear drive and they make snow blowing a lot easier too. I've never had a creeper in any of My gear drive CC's but I've run a snow blower a lot so they're not manditory for that job. A Hydro actually works better.

KENDELL - When My little QA-36 looks like Your QA-42 in the second picture I just shut the PTO off and PUSH snow. One nice thing about sticky wet snow is You don't end up wearing most of it!

Matt S.

I am certainly not the expert but I will try to give an explanation of the creeper drive. This is primarily what I read in the Service Manual.

The creeper drive is a simple gear reduction unit, offering a straight 4:1 reduction ratio. When the lever is forward the unit is in direct drive and does not affect the input to the transmission. When the lever is towards the rear the unit is in reduction mode and the input shaft to the transmission is turning at 1/4th the speed that it normally would. This means the tractor is moving at 1/4th its normal speed in all gears.

Internally, the creeper uses ring and planet gears to accomplish the reduction.
beerchug.gif

OK, as per creeper drives:

Can a Hydro have a creeper drive?

Is there a real use?

It would seem to me that a creeper would be good to have when running a tiller, otherwise when would you use a creeper on a hydro?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Ken,

No a Hydro would not have a creeper drive as it is infinitely variable from 0 (stop) to ~8mph (full forward). I would wonder if someone were able to install a creeper (don't "think" it is possible with a hydro) what it would do.

I got the 106 all back together. I dont think that thing has ever started that well! It runs really smooth. I think all the problems, electrically, were a bad solenoid,S/G, and V/R. It popped right off pretty much when I turned the key. OH HAPPY DAY!!!!
clappy.gif
bouncy.gif
buttrock.gif
beerchug.gif
Thanks to everyone for the help on this!

Hi Guys!

I just got my first IH Cub Cadet. It's a model 1650 built in Nov. of '76. It hasn't run in over 6 years and I'm not sure what was wrong with it when it was parked, IN A GARAGE!!!

This mower is cleaner that mowers I've seen that were a few years old.

It came with a 50" deck and I'm hoping to have it ready to mow by spring.

The best part about it, it was free!!

I look forward to talking with you guys and bugging the crap out of you while I get her running again!

Phillip
wave.gif

Welcome! Please be sure and read the FAQ at the top of the page and get some pictures of that bugger so we can see what you got. Congradulations on the great find! My 122 was a freebie too so I can relate. Tons of great reading here so feel free to look around.

Brian,
Thanks for the welcome!!

I'll try to get some pics taken soon, I'm anxious to show her off.

Any pointers on getting her cleaned up and in working order? My plan of attack right now is plug, filters, oil, fuel lines, and clean out the tank. I know I need a new battery as well. But I figure I can get her up and running for a lot less than I could even think about finding one as stout as this one is.

<font face="courier new,courier"></font>

With a creeper drive on a hydro (probably impossible) I would assume that the pump would just turn too slow to pressurize and move the tractor.

Welcome Phillip, Congrats on the new cub cadet. I recently joined the forum myself; got my first cub 169 this past October. This is a really great forum. Alot of good people with a wealth of knowledge. My suggestion for you is to first clean your tractor before beginning work on it. I sprayed mine down with a can of Citrol and then washed it with hot water to remove all of the dirt and grease. It worked really well. I prefer to start with a clean machine before doing any trouble shooting and diagnosing a problem. Be sure to check out the FAQ section and the parts lookup feature is a great tool as well. Just my two cents worth..........
Again, Welcome Aboard...

Does any one know where the assembly instructions went for a narrow frame soft cab?
1a_scratchhead.gif
I thought Charlie or Kraig posted the pdf for me awhile back but some how I lost them. I searched for awhile, in the vault today but didn't find a link to them.

Thanks
Brian

Welcome Phillip
Shift.gif

Seems most of the guys on here are able to get a non running cub going in no time at all with just a little maint. and points and plug change!!I Got my first one running with the help of a 18 volt mikita with a pully mounted to it!! No kidding! "bad SG" I dont belive it saw a covered place to sleep in its life,and it fired right up! Sounds like your plan of attack is a good one.Might want to change the hydro filter "under the tractor"and the fluid in the rear end.

Brian,

I have a couple of different copies. which do you need?

Kraig,

Good eye, I'm behind him in the 1486 and that's me on the 656 photo with the mail box.

Chris has to get some farming in everyone in a while.....like at big tractor plow day last fall....

100938.jpg

100939.jpg

OK, THATs my new favoite picture!
drool.gif

<font size="-2">The only thing that would make it better is if it was me behind the wheel of that red beast!</font>
Shift.gif

Had a real dumper of a snow Sunday night. Whenever the wind is out of the North, I get this drifting that just loads my turn-around area of the driveway. The trusty Cub performed flawlessly, although I did smoke the belt a few times.
100946.jpg

100947.jpg

It's workin again
groupwave.gif
Now to remember what I was gonna post
1a_scratchhead.gif

Oh well, looks like some of us got some decent snow. It's just as well I haven't got any yet, still have 2 lift rods to make yet. Gonna try out this cab thing and see if it's all it's worked up to be
clappy.gif

Latest posts

Back