• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Question on generic 2284 carb

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken vitus

I posted a couple of threads about the carb and problems I having with my 2284 running rough. I ended up ordering a new Chinese carb, as a last ditch effort. I got on for my ch22 Kohler, that even had an accelerator pump on it. The original one didn't, but someone here mentioned it. The carb came in yesterday, I threw it on real quick and the engine runs perfectly. No choking problem, no hard starting. I very happy. But I have a slight problem. The new carb has an extra "small tube", right in front of the fuel selonoid. I almost missed seeing it. The old carburetor doesn't have that odd tube. When it's running, I held my finger on it.. no change. It starts just as easily with or without my finger on the tube. I don't feel any suction on the tube. Anybody know what this tube is meant to do? The engine runs so smooth now, I was just gonna ignore it, but then I figured I'd ask hon here. I attached pics (Thanx in advance for bearing with silly questions like mine, but I just started tinkering with engines a few months ago). One pic shows the tube, one pic shows the tube with the black "shipping cap" still on, so you can pick it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_124831120_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240127_124831120_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240127_124822925_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240127_124822925_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I posted a couple of threads about the carb and problems I having with my 2284 running rough. I ended up ordering a new Chinese carb, as a last ditch effort. I got on for my ch22 Kohler, that even had an accelerator pump on it. The original one didn't, but someone here mentioned it. The carb came in yesterday, I threw it on real quick and the engine runs perfectly. No choking problem, no hard starting. I very happy. But I have a slight problem. The new carb has an extra "small tube", right in front of the fuel selonoid. I almost missed seeing it. The old carburetor doesn't have that odd tube. When it's running, I held my finger on it.. no change. It starts just as easily with or without my finger on the tube. I don't feel any suction on the tube. Anybody know what this tube is meant to do? The engine runs so smooth now, I was just gonna ignore it, but then I figured I'd ask hon here. I attached pics (Thanx in advance for bearing with silly questions like mine, but I just started tinkering with engines a few months ago). One pic shows the tube, one pic shows the tube with the black "shipping cap" still on, so you can pick it out.
I always thought that was a overflow in case the float needle got stuck open. There should be a hose on it to drain out the bottom of the frame.

My only other thought would be that it might be a vacuum port. If it doesn't pull vacuum at idle, then it could be ported which means it only builds vacuum when the engine is at part throttle. You could try hooking a vacuum gauge up to it. If no vacuum at idle, run at a steady state part throttle and see if you have any then. If you see vacuum in either case, I would leave the cap on. If not, then it could be as Lewis suggests, an overflow port.

Latest posts

Back